Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need 10k miles ...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2004, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Need 10k miles ...

I'm planning a reward travel down under early next year and am 10k miles short of the 100k miles needed for a Star Alliance award using Aeroplan miles. Any suggestions on the optimal (read: cheap!) way to earn these miles (apart from actually doing a mileage run on AC, that is).

Cheers!
Old Jun 6, 2004, 12:59 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
I think that you can buy miles, it would cost about 400 dollars or so for 10K miles plus a service charge
Old Jun 6, 2004, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Credit cards

Originally Posted by shore9
I think that you can buy miles, it would cost about 400 dollars or so for 10K miles plus a service charge
In looking through some options, it appears that I should have the required 10k miles if I signed up for two Aeroplan credit cards (5k bonus Aeroplan miles after the first purchase). This would cost me $120 or so (not sure if this is CDN or USD).
Old Jun 6, 2004, 1:08 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
oh yeah forgot about the credit cards, although it may take some time before the bonus is applied to your AP account, I guess if you just keep calling CIBC about it, it may be put into your account faster.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 2:42 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Are you eligible to apply for a Canadian credit card?

www.americanexpress.ca/evenfaster1 ; easy 7500 for a Gold card which only costs $120 a year and the miles post quite fast. Or you can just apply for the Platinum and get the full 10000 (but unless you're planning to use the benefits, the $400 a yr is not worth it).
Old Jun 7, 2004, 10:37 am

Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, Bonvoy-G
I got the bonus miles (7500) for the Amex AeroplanPlus Gold posted before I even got my first statement. Empress is right, they do post fast.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 2:39 pm

Programs: AC*SE, DL_Gold, Hilton_Diamond, Marriott_Platinum
Better hurry.
I just booked four business seats to SYD, since the recent changes in millage requirements include an increase to 115k miles for Australia. Look at the small print on the recent flyer about milage changes...
Old Jun 7, 2004, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Re:10k miles

Originally Posted by wombat
Better hurry.
I just booked four business seats to SYD, since the recent changes in millage requirements include an increase to 115k miles for Australia. Look at the small print on the recent flyer about milage changes...
thanks for the heads-up. Just sent you a PM.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wombat
Better hurry.
On looking at this a bit closer, it appears that the increase to 115k miles is only if I plan to fly AC, but is still 100k if I choose any other airline (on a Star Alliance award).

https://www.aeroplan.com/en/rewards/..._chart_eng.pdf

Or am I reading this wrong? Certainly won't be the first time I screwed up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.