Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

50% miles in Fun fare interCanada - I don't get it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2004, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

I don't get this. Perhaps someone can help me out.

I flew Toronto-Vancouver-Calgary-Toronto recently on a "Fun" fare (I/G) for just over $1,000. I only got 50% miles for this (which I understand is the rule on these fares).

If I go to LAX for half the price (or anywhere else in the US) I would get full meilage on this fare.

Does this make sense?

Is there anyway of spending $1,000 to get to Vancouver, and get 100% miles?
Old Jun 5, 2004, 11:45 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Two seperate tix: YYZ-ORD/DEN/SEA/SFO/LAX and ORD/DEN/SEA/SFO/LAX-YVR

on AC/UA/US. Good old getting around cabotage.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by YYCOllie
Two seperate tix: YYZ-ORD/DEN/SEA/SFO/LAX and ORD/DEN/SEA/SFO/LAX-YVR

on AC/UA/US. Good old getting around cabotage.
If you presented 2 AC tickets at YYZ Transborder, ie: YYZ-LAX, and LAX-YVR, both on AC stock and AC metal, would they check you in for both and make sure your bags connect properly?

Or worse yet, would they send you a'hikin to YYZ T1 to get onto a more sensible option (albeit without AP miles)?
Old Jun 6, 2004, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I believe since the current benefit year, AC transborder flights have the same mileage accumulation as do domestic flights, so credit is 50% on most heavily discounted fares, and no status credits on TANGO fares. Full mileage is available only on higher discounted fares, most of which are upgradeable with SWUs. AC has moved towards a more revenue-based scheme, and by lowering certain higher priced fares, felt they've provided those paying more with more miless. Remember, it costs AC money to buy miles from Aeroplan, so in order to improve margins, it wants to reduce this expenditure.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not according to this: https://www.aeroplan.com/en/collect/air_air_canada.jsp. >=L still earn at 100%. Of course, how much longer is always up for debate.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 1:46 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
I'm with YOWKid. I stand to be corrected, but I believe transborder miles, other than Tango, remain 100%.

Simon
Old Jun 6, 2004, 2:13 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

You're right; only TANGO fares will earn 50% non Q miles. All Transborder FUN fares will earn 100% status miles (vs. 50% status miles on Domestic FUN fares). COMPETITION!
Old Jun 6, 2004, 2:14 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by pitz
If you presented 2 AC tickets at YYZ Transborder, ie: YYZ-LAX, and LAX-YVR, both on AC stock and AC metal, would they check you in for both and make sure your bags connect properly?
They can't check you in for both. But technically they will be able to tag your bags all the way.

Or worse yet, would they send you a'hikin to YYZ T1 to get onto a more sensible option (albeit without AP miles)?
No, they won't. You can't combine two transborder tickets and then make it into one domestic ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.