Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rebanking Reward Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2004, 2:37 pm
DJC
Original Poster

Programs: AC - Super Elite, AA - Platinum, DL - Basic, HHonors - Gold, SPG - Platinum, Fairmont - Gold
Rebanking Reward Tickets

I'm giving some miles to a friend for a transatlantic reward fare but the flight may need to be cancelled later. Does anybody know whether rewards booked in another person's name (if I am not accompanying them) can be rebanked subject to the change fee (CAD 100 still?)

Thanks,

David
Old Jun 3, 2004, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by DJC
I'm giving some miles to a friend for a transatlantic reward fare but the flight may need to be cancelled later. Does anybody know whether rewards booked in another person's name (if I am not accompanying them) can be rebanked subject to the change fee (CAD 100 still?)

Thanks,

David

I "re-banked" an award ticket I booked for someone else just last week. AFAIK, there wasn't any fee (I didn't do the actual "re-banking" so I'm not sure). I have Elite status, so possibly that makes a difference?
Old Jun 3, 2004, 5:15 pm

AC/AP wouldn't rebank an unused AP ticket of mine on a cancelled route (YUL-MCO) for anything less than the $75 fee when I called recently. Seems to be very hit and miss.

Anyone think that a notation would have been made on the PNR that I called and tried to get the miles redeposited for free?
Old Jun 6, 2004, 2:55 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by DJC
It's $75+GST for redepositing points into your account if the reservation has been ticketed regardless of status. So as long as the points came from your account, you will be able to cancel it by paying the fee even though it's under someone else's name.

pitz, if a flight on your reservation was cancelled by AC, they shouldn't have charged you any fee for cancelling the ticket!
Old Jun 6, 2004, 3:35 pm

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
I can confirm the latter comment. Recently I checked an upcoming reward travel pairing for Mrs PB and myself in J to New Orleans ... unfortunately found out it was downgraded to a CRJ ... crap ... but at least the flight was still operating and still direct ... so cannot complain too much The AE agent quickly redeposited the 40K for each ticket to my account and then just as quickly took out 25K each for the CRJ non-J seats ... no charge as it was an AC change ... FWIW ...

The extra pts have already been spent on a planned exciting trip to that hub of activity ... YXE

Last edited by PreferBulkhead; Jun 6, 2004 at 3:36 pm Reason: Spelling and to note I am just 19,100+ posts from Empress :)
Old Jun 6, 2004, 3:44 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Now had you just left it and done nothing, I take it you would have never seen those 15K points again.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 4:37 pm

I have faith that if no communication had happened before the trip I would have been reimbursed the points ... I also happen to believe that AE would have called me prior to the flight to tell me about it as they indicated they would have ...but I always prefer to take it upon myself to check on flights I have booked, both reward and non-reward. I believe their is a certain responsibility on my part as well as AE's ...
Old Jun 6, 2004, 5:02 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
I agree, I always check online to make sure the flight is still there, I trust AC, however, its good to always do it yourself to make sure
Old Jun 6, 2004, 5:11 pm

This had nothing to do with the flight disappearing; it was solely related to the metal changing and being downgraded to a CRJ, hence no J.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 5:13 pm

You will have zero problem getting the 15K miles back even after you've taken the flights. shore9, your outlook on things are very negative for a young teenager based on your posts here... usually young kids are very positive on things.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Empress
pitz, if a flight on your reservation was cancelled by AC, they shouldn't have charged you any fee for cancelling the ticket!
The explanation I got from AC/AP's agent, when I tried to cancel for free and have them redeposited to my account essentially was: "You booked a ticket, Montreal-Orlando. We can still get you there through Toronto. We can rebook the ticket through Toronto with only the standard $25 rebooking fee, but to fully cancel the ticket and redeposit the miles, we will charge you the full $75 + GST".

Did I just get an agent who wasn't quite fully aware of the rules, or have the rules changed, or what?

Thnkx.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 5:27 pm

Looks like the agent decided to change the rules him/herself. If the suggested protection is not to your liking (whether it's a minor or major change), you are entitled to a full refund. Send them to CIC*77 next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.