Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Are you assuming Air Canada will be around next year?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2004, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Given the latest developments, are my fellow FlyerTalkers assuming that Air Canada will be around next year? Is it safe to plan important events around AC's continued existence? Are you still trying to use up all of your miles?

I watched the news off and on while I was in Victoria this weekend (admittedly not very devotedly) and I don't think I saw a single mention of Air Canada. Maybe most Canadians just aren't concerned?
Old May 16, 2004, 10:03 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

I am holding a ticket for myself for Apr 2005.

No thoughts of burning points, still racking them up and waiting for the next big promo.
Old May 16, 2004, 10:07 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
I think most people believe that we need a national airline, and that eventually the government will step in if need be, and that they've heard enough of it.
Old May 16, 2004, 11:10 pm

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
Already have flights booked in Feb/March 2005 - so I guess I am an optimist...
Old May 16, 2004, 11:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I also having Aeroplan flights booked for next Jan. Finally used up all the points I had from the CP days ...
Old May 17, 2004, 2:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Burn the points, last month RM/RD just increased the points you need to go places! They reduced the availability of cheap award seats so you have to use more points. Only SE were exempt and dont expect that for long!
Old May 17, 2004, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think they'll still be around. At least I hope so. I cannot see AC disappearing. It just cannot happen.

Of course, anything is possible these days...
Old May 17, 2004, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have booked winter holidays based on AC getting me there.I prefer Caribbean locations,and now go ONLY AC as opposed to connecting via the US.
To answer your question,yes,I believe AC will be around.
Old May 17, 2004, 5:45 am

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Like most hear I also believe AC will be around next year and the year after that. If they were allowed to go under there would be an initial major economic impact both domestically and internationally as WJ and SG are not equipped to fill the void of 60% domestic market share and Intl airlines I don't believe have the initial capability to fill the entire international market.

But, as mentioned above. You never know. I always ensure everything is charges on a premium credit card to ensure I won't be left in the cold.
Old May 17, 2004, 5:53 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
I don't buy tickets much in advance, but I'm still racking up points. I expect they'll still be around.
Old May 17, 2004, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is interesting to note that a federal election has not ,yet,been called.
Could it be that there are many federal Liberal votes in Quebec?Could it be that AC is headquartered in Montreal.Could it be that Bombardier is also from La Belle province?Two more unions to come on-line,and the universe will be slightly re-aligned.
Old May 17, 2004, 6:32 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by acysb87
It is interesting to note that a federal election has not ,yet,been called.
Could it be that there are many federal Liberal votes in Quebec?Could it be that AC is headquartered in Montreal.Could it be that Bombardier is also from La Belle province?Two more unions to come on-line,and the universe will be slightly re-aligned.
Well, I can tell you that the sponsorship scandal is really hurting the Liberals in the Belle Province. Right now the polls are giving 46% of the vote to the Bloc and 31% to the Liberals. Therefore, I don't think AC or Bombardier has to do with the election call. BTW, AC might be headquartered in Montreal, we all know that the real decisions about AC are made in Toronto..outside of Toronto there is no world!!
Old May 17, 2004, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Super Larry
..outside of Toronto there is no world!!

That is only the Laffs and their supporters who think that ,Super Larry
Their arena is called The Air Canada Center
Old May 17, 2004, 7:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by acysb87
Their arena is called The Air Canada Center
And I remember reading a study a while back that most company's that have a sports stadium named after them go under.

As for me, still liquidating, haven't paid for a revenue ticket in close to a year, except for 1 on USAirways. Still have miles on AC and trying to burn through them as I do not think AC will be around much longer.
Old May 17, 2004, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know if AC will be around next year.

CUPE and CAW are playing high stakes poker... and the possible outcome is not pleasant...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.