Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New compensation program starts in late March

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New compensation program starts in late March

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2004, 6:06 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">According to the Customer Service Plan...</font>
Customer Service Plan? AC has a Customer Service Plan?

(For the record, I printed it out while I still could.)
Old Mar 21, 2004, 2:18 pm

Programs: AC-2MM & 75K
Actually, what I would prefer instead of points are UGs. I recall having problems on UA or AA and the In charge gave me a system-wide UG good for one year, which I appreciated and it came in handy on a subsquent Santiago-Miami flight!
Old Mar 21, 2004, 5:51 pm

Ooooh, interesting information, in view of the fact that SWMBO and I just got back from what was supposed to be a LAX-DEN-YVR route yesterday, but which turned into a LAX-DEN, overnight in DEN, DEN-YEG, YEG-YVR route. All but the last leg as an AC codeshare on UA. Am I right that, since the problem was because of a late arriving UA aircraft on the start-off LAX-DEN leg, I should be looking to UA for any compensation, even though the tickets have AC flight numbers? UA gave us accommodation vouchers and dinner vouchers (9.00 USD each) in DEN (no breakfast vouchers). Our DEN-YEG leg was in a CRJ-200, where we were lucky enough to be right in the last row, by the loo and in non-reclining seats. Hoo, boy, I hope it's the last time on one of those for a flight of over 2 hours.

So, I write to UA or AC? And what's reasonable compensation--arrived 24 hours later than planned.

(oh, and SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed, in case you were wondering)

HTF
Old Mar 21, 2004, 6:28 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

As that was related directly to the operations of the UA flight, you would be contacting UA to seek compensation. 24 hours late; perhaps ask for 1 Systemwide that is good on all UA flights or a $300 travel voucher. (assuming you don't accure UA Mileage Plus points)
Old Mar 22, 2004, 3:45 pm

Thanks Empress. I just have AP since the company uses them as the airline of choice. I'll see what UA has to say.
HTF.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 5:17 pm

Programs: AC E75K 2MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HateToFly:
Our DEN-YEG leg was in a CRJ-200</font>
That alone seems like something that should be compensated for, never mind 90 minute delays (ooh ah)

Old Apr 1, 2004, 11:03 am

Programs: YOW-AC*SE,SPG Plat, Hertz #1 Club
How much compensation should I get?

On March 28, AC873 from FRA to YYZ was cancelled. We finally left on Monday, March 29 at 10:00, representing a 22.5 hour delay. Air Canada didn't deal with this very well and having arrived in FRA at 07:00 (on an LH flight from CAI that departed at 02:30) it was a very long day since it was nearly 17:00 before they cancelled.

Although they provided us with accommodation and meals, as an SE I would have expected somewhat better treatment. The concierges could have been a bit more helpful and were nowhere to be found, either at check-in or the gate, on Monday morning. At check-in on Monday, staff would not re-tag our bags to our final destination and would not give us new boarding passes for our onward flight (I insisted on the latter and they grudgingly agreed).

At no time during the delay did anyone from AC offer or even raise the issue of compensation. So, my questions are fairly straightforward:

1)How much and what type of compensation would be in order.

2)I was flying in paid J and Mrs. passport was also flying in Executive First on a points ticket. Would she normally be entitled to compenstation as well?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 4:57 pm

If you don't want Aeroplan points; you can ask for a MCO instead.
Better still, ask for CASH.

At no time during the delay did anyone from AC offer or even raise the issue of compensation.
No one offered me anything either in a recent case. But they were quick to respond once I raised the issue.

How much and what type of compensation would be in order.
While my case was a little different, the answers in short order are 330, in cash. (About CAD $533.)

Upon arriving in CDG a few weeks ago, most of the way through YVR-YUL-CDG-BES, my two checked bags did not show up at CDG. They were quickly able to tell me that the bags were "left behind" at YUL. Not sure why this would be, given the incoming flight was on time and the connection was almost two hours. Perhaps it was the "JetsGo" scenario.

Anyway, once I asked for compensation they were quick to hand it over. It seemed that my SE status played a role, but I'm not certain. The biggest problem is that they would not send the bags by air (Air France/Brit Air) to BES, and it would take a day or two extra to get them there by truck, especially over the Easter long weekend. I opted to spend the night in CDG so I could pick up my bags in CDG personally, then carry on. The additional expense of that alone consumed about 250, with a little more going to some shirts, underwear, etc, and probably a little to phone calls around the world to adjust my schedules. I probably ended up with a few $/ left over, but I would have preferred that the bags simply arrived with me.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 8:23 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
While my case was a little different, the answers in short order are 330, in cash. (About CAD $533.)
Based on your experience with BA, I would have thought that you would be loathe to settle for anything less than five figures.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 10:09 pm

Well, AC is in CCAA. Otherwise, something in the high 4 figures would have been appropriate.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 3:54 am

Programs: AC Super Elite *G, United, Aeromexico
Compensation to be expected for a re-route

Recently I was on a flight from Vancouver to Westchester County, New York State, via Toronto. I had chosen to fly into Westchester because of attending some meetings there, and saving myself the hassle of commuting from La Guardia or JFK. However, arriving in Toronto, I was advised that the connecting flight had been cancelled (not due to weather or mechanical problems).

I got immediately re-booked onto another flight out of Toronto, which left a bit over an hour later, but into LGA instead of HPN. At the lounge, several travelers asked how we would be compensated for the change, since we would need to spend about US $100 for a cab ride, plus of course incur additional hassle and travel time. The supervisor who showed up after an eternity told us that re-routing us to LGA would be all they could do to help us. She wouldn't even commit to a refund of any cab fares, although she told us after a long discussion that we could keep all receipts and send a letter to customer service.

What would be a reasonable compensation (other than of course a refund for the cab fare, which indeed turned out to be over $100)?
Old Jan 8, 2006, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Twinkler,welcome to FT

I would write the letter.IMO,compensation for cab fare would be reasonable.A receipt(copy) should be attached.
You do not indicate,what,if any status you have with AC.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
It's only for operations related issues. So for example, if you have a problem with the level of service you received from an employee, you will still have to write in.
I gather that one can not get compensation for weather-related delays.

Especially in Ottawa, flights to hubs (eg ORD, less often YYZ) can be delayed (or cancelled) due to weather (eg snow, rain, high winds etc) and secondary delays and congestion. One can argue that in the context of congestion at a major hub - it may be in part related to weather, but in part related to operations at that airport. Then what (in terms of compensation)?
Old Jan 8, 2006, 9:42 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Delete

Last edited by yyzprincess; Jan 8, 2006 at 9:48 am
Old Jan 8, 2006, 9:43 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Duplicate

Last edited by yyzprincess; Jan 8, 2006 at 9:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.