Wiki Posts
Search

I lost my digital camera

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2004, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

I lost my digital camera

ARRGHHHHH

I just realized it was missing when I was unpacking my stuff right now.

I even had some pictures of the Concorde on it from LHR last weekend. they had it parked in front of the BA hangers and ropped off

I have phoned around and it is no where to be found but since I am going to Disney this Wednesday please help decide on a new one ASAP.

It was an Olympus 2.0 Megapixle with 3x optical and 3x digital zoom and I have to be honest I was quite happy with the little sucker

Since I have to replace it I am leaving all options open right now. We don't blow pictures up more than 5x8 (and that would be a rare occasion).

Since things have changed quite a bit in the last 2 years I am at your mercy to decide what to do. Should I stick with the standard type or try to find the money for a full size that has soemthing like 10x optical zoom? If we go expensive we would obviously be looking at a long term family camera rather than replacing them every couple of years.

I know I will have to weigh size vs functionality and I leave this open to suggestions also. If it's a good camera I am not worried about carrying it over my shoulder vs in my pocket. You get the idea.

I don't think we really need more than 3 megapixels but know that 5 is pretty standard now.

Throw me your best suggestions please
Old Feb 7, 2004, 1:32 pm

Do you have any memory cards still hanging around? If so, what kind? (CompactFlash, Secure Digital, etc.)

I love the Canon digital elphs (The little silver jobs whose model numbers start with S). I have had a Canon S230 (3.2 mp) for two years now and I love it. Don't know how serious you are about photography but I'm a total screwup around film cameras but I cannot take a bad snapshot with this thing. Takes 8x10's you would never know are digital. I think the S400 is the current model (4 mp)... I believe the S230 can be picked up on Amazon for a song.
Old Feb 7, 2004, 2:01 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Hi Cattle, sorry to hear about your camera - not fun. I believe you and I share digital camera tastes - I have the Olympus 2 megapixel D490 3X digital and 3X optical zoom camera and it is a nice unit. Even pictures blown up to 8 X 10 turn out quite respectably. The only complaint I have with it is that I find the optical zoom a bit limiting. I bought another digital camera, the Minolta Z1, through Air Miles and I love it. 3.2 megapixel 10X optical zoom and 4X digital zoom. It takes terrific pictures and the video capabilities on it do quite nicely. I would have went to the Olympus 750 as it has 10X zoom as well and is a bit more compact but I didn't have enough Air Miles at the time. Again, sorry about the camera.
Old Feb 7, 2004, 2:14 pm

Programs: Presto
I just got a Kodak 6340 from Staples for $300 (used a bunch of their online coupons to bring it down from $399). I chose it for the following reasons:

- price point
- 3.1 megapixel
- 4X optical Zoom (my old one was 2X)
- Glass Lens (Schneider-Kruesnach)
- 2 AA batteries (my old one used 4)
- Flexibility for additional lenses (I picked up a telephoto, a wide-angle and close-up lenses for it).

There's lots to choose from and I found it difficult to stray from the Canons, but hey, somebody's gotta try the competition.

Cheers.

NV
Old Feb 7, 2004, 3:16 pm

How is your Air Miles balance? There are a few choices available and shipping, handling and taxes included.
Old Feb 7, 2004, 3:18 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Second the Canon s230. Additional benefit? It's flippin' small. (Little wider than a deck of cards)
Old Feb 7, 2004, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Sorry to read of your loss, Cattle. I have noticed OLYMPUS has dropped their Cdn prices by about $100 since Christmas, at least at HENRY's, so for $399 you can get their latest 3.2 meg camera. I am sure LONDON DRUGS is competitive.

Having spent a week checking out models in Tokyo, the next generation of most brands are either more megs -- 5 is now standard for the old price of 3 -- or smaller or more colourful. PENTAX and CASIO reflect this new wave, getting down to as small as the CANON's, but much thinner. These are in the $400 range for 3 meg, and $650 range for 5 meg.

I had a problem with these tiny cameras, in that they are just too small to effectively do any real photography. Great for carrying in your pocket, but too difficult to use if you are used to old SLRs. The new line of NIKON's Coolpix are nice, smaller than the models on sale here, but still sized for better handling. They start at $450 for 3 meg.

I ended up buying a LEICA/PANASONIC F1, 3 megs for $420. Same size as the new NIKON, but I was impressed by the LEICA lenses and the overall look, which is very much similar to the original film LEICAs of the 1950s. Aside from the new NIKON, I really hadn't seen a model of a DigitalCamera that appealed to me. But the LEICA's design sold me as much as anything else.

I am sure you'll find something at LONDON DRUGS. Price-wise, not sure if it's worth waiting until you're in the states, unless you find something on a net site that can be delivered to your hotel down there, with no sales tax or GST.

Old Feb 7, 2004, 7:29 pm

Programs: AC - ACMM; LH - SEN
Sorry to hear of the loss, especially the pic of the Concorde.

This coming week (Feb 12-15) is the PMA (Photo Marketing Association) Digital Photography Show in Las Vegas. If history is a past predictor, some of the last year's models could go on sale this week or next (which won't help you) to clear out the inventory and make room for the new models. Canon is expected to announce at least 20 new products at the show.

In the mean time here are two links for camera reviews and updates from the conference.

dpreview

Steves Digi Cams

I am off to LHR this week and will have my trusty 2.0 megapixal Olympus with me in case the Concorde is still there.

Good Luck!

Edited to fix a link

[This message has been edited by yycguy2 (edited Feb 07, 2004).]
Old Feb 7, 2004, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Everyone

I just got back from London Drugs and found something Ended up getting the Fuji S5000 with 3.2 mega-pixels and 10X optical zoom with 2.2x digital on top of it (effective 22x zoom)

Regular price $699 at Blacks but London Drugs had it on for $529 I was also considering the Olympus 750 but it wasn't on sale and was $799. They told me at London Drugs that if the Fuji was $699 they would say spend a bit more and get the Olympus but it was a no brainer to them to take the Fuji for $529.

They have a 14 day return policy, including the extra 256mb digital card! so we can go to Disney and try it on vacation and if it isn't what we want we can get all of our money back. Seems like a pretty darn good deal to me.

I'll keep you posted once I play with it over the next day or two

Oh yeah, I am very sorry that I lost the pictures of the concorde too. That was disappointing to say the least

edited to add the review from Steves Digicams . It gives a really good over view of the camera

[This message has been edited by cattle (edited Feb 07, 2004).]
Old Feb 7, 2004, 8:57 pm

Cattle you did well... I checked the LD flyer here in YVR..and the Fuji S5000 is being offered for $679

Old Feb 8, 2004, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry to hear about your loss cattle. I had mine stolen / lost in BRU last April -- in fact, the exact same model as you probably.

When I left the UK and returned to Canada for the summer, I bought myself a Canon Powershort A70 to replace it. It's quite a good little sucker! A little expensive admittedly. (Funny thing is, I lost my 256MB Compact Flash card in WAW a few weeks ago -- pretty peeved about that...)
Old Feb 8, 2004, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Glad you got a suitable replacement camera Useful thread as I'll have to get mine before my next grand tour in 11 months...so I've got a little shopping time

Also, London Drugs is great - they actually know their products and won't let you down on warranty issues. Also, go back after you return from Disney and see if the price has gone down - they will happily refund the difference within the 14 days.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 8:13 am
At Large

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cattle:
Thanks Everyone

I just got back from London Drugs and found something Ended up getting the Fuji S5000 with 3.2 mega-pixels and 10X optical zoom with 2.2x digital on top of it (effective 22x zoom)

Regular price $699 at Blacks but London Drugs had it on for $529 I was also considering the Olympus 750 but it wasn't on sale and was $799. They told me at London Drugs that if the Fuji was $699 they would say spend a bit more and get the Olympus but it was a no brainer to them to take the Fuji for $529.

They have a 14 day return policy, including the extra 256mb digital card! so we can go to Disney and try it on vacation and if it isn't what we want we can get all of our money back. Seems like a pretty darn good deal to me.

I'll keep you posted once I play with it over the next day or two

Oh yeah, I am very sorry that I lost the pictures of the concorde too. That was disappointing to say the least

edited to add the review from Steves Digicams . It gives a really good over view of the camera

[This message has been edited by cattle (edited Feb 07, 2004).]
</font>

Now that you have the new camera you are formally invited to be the official photgrapher of the 37th annual Maple Losers futility party Hope it picks up Habs red well!!!
Old Feb 8, 2004, 8:24 am

Programs: Presto
I'm jealous of the 10X zoom, now all your 'point and shoot', 'once in a lifetime shots' can be in a viewable size instead of dots on the horizon.

Is this now the official camera of 'Firewagon Hockey'?

NV
Old Feb 8, 2004, 10:26 am

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
Cattle

I had a similar experience of losing a camera a couple of years ago, except that mine was a Nikon 601 with the 35-70 2.8 D lens. I left it in the little storage bin in the pod of a UA F-Class 777 seat from CDG-ORD. I had resigned myself to replacing the thing and being out of pocket about $1500+ but a colleauge of my wife suggested I put in an insurance claim on my household insurance. I was loath to increase my premiums and frankly unsure if they would even cover my forgetfulness (stupidity) so I called my insurer, described the situation and expressed my concern that I would rather be out $1500 than face 10 years of increased premiums and I was assured that since this was my first claim, that my premiums would not increase.

In the end I filled out a few forms, signed a couple of faxes and my insurer sent me off to a local camera store where I picked out a replacement and paid only my deductible. Quick painless and since the model I lost was discontinued, I ended up with a newer body and the same excellent lens. Food for thought

DF

------------------
....airline economics: The only industry where the value of a perishable goes up as the best before date approaches....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.