Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC passengers recount 'hellish journey' after 10 delays, 1 cancellation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2024, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH

Ten delays, one cancellation, and about 27 hours later, Air Canada travellers trying to jet out of Fort Lauderdale finally made what one of them is calling a “hellish journey” back to Toronto.
https://www.cp24.com/air-canada-pass...ight-1.6779696
Old Feb 23, 2024, 2:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Star Alliance Silver, Hilton Honors Gold, NEXUS GE
That seems pretty average for a bad Air Canada experience, not sure we can call it a "hellish journey" unless there's MULTIPLE cancellations tbh.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 3:24 pm

When Ansari’s mother tried speaking with one of the Air Canada staff at the airport for an idea of when they would leave, she said that she was also met with rude comments.

“He actually said to her, ‘You need to turn around and wheel yourself away because I am a concierge dealing with Premier Elite travelers,” Ansari said. “She was very insulted.”
I am looking forward to my SuperElite status being converted into Premiere Elite. Are there new benefits?

​​​​​​​Kim Soloweyko questioned one of the Air Canada employees at gate D4 why there was a discrepancy among vouchers, and said she was told, “Not all animals in the barn are the same, ya know.”
Oh. I shall demand that my new Premiere Elite status shall give me a higher barn status.

​​​​​​​Bovine, perhaps.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 3:31 pm

... “Not all animals in the barn are the same, ya know.”

I was enjoying that quote myself.
I guess when I show up in bare hooves and lick my........
Old Feb 23, 2024, 3:36 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
When Ansari’s mother tried speaking with one of the Air Canada staff at the airport for an idea of when they would leave, she said that she was also met with rude comments.

“He actually said to her, ‘You need to turn around and wheel yourself away because I am a concierge dealing with Premier Elite travelers,” Ansari said. “She was very insulted.”
This is indicative of some insidious behaviour that is crept into society these days.When a person hears something that they don’t want to hear, they immediately label the message or the delivery or delivery person as rude or racist or triggering or pick your adjective.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 4:15 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by taupo
This is indicative of some insidious behaviour that is crept into society these days.When a person hears something that they don’t want to hear, they immediately label the message or the delivery or delivery person as rude or racist or triggering or pick your adjective.
Did somebody somewhere allege or suggest racism in this incident? Maybe you saw a different news article than the one linked at the top of the thread?

"You need to turn around and wheel yourself away" is legitimately a pretty rude thing to hear from a customer-service rep, but that's a hundred miles away from anything faintly resembling any form of ethnosocial discrimination.

That said, airport attendants dropping Orwell references while denying meal vouchers is absolutely hilarious.
Bogwoppit, vernonc, wrp96 and 10 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 4:17 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by taupo
While I don't disagree with what you said, there was no mentioning of racism in the paragraph you quoted, and I find the message to be quite rude indeed.

Originally Posted by tracon
... “Not all animals in the barn are the same, ya know.”

I was enjoying that quote myself.
I guess when I show up in bare hooves and lick my........
This just reinforces my existing belief that AC has some employees who chose the wrong career. I get that agents are stressed too and some customers are annoying to deal with, but this is a new low.
AJNEDC and flyingcrooked like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
One of these days I'm going to say "but some animals are more equal than others", and through a game of broken telephone, someone will end of accusing me of using the word "monkey" in a racist manner.

Agent said something.
Pax relayed it to media days later.
Media edits and prints.

I really don't think we should be focusing on specific sound bites, because I have absolutely no confidence they were accurately transcribed.

You don't have to look much further than the concierge helping the Premier Elites. I'm quite confident the concierge said Super Elite.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 5:04 pm

Programs: Westjet, Air Canada, Best Western, Marriott
Originally Posted by YOWgary
Did somebody somewhere allege or suggest racism in this incident? Maybe you saw a different news article than the one linked at the top of the thread?

"You need to turn around and wheel yourself away" is legitimately a pretty rude thing to hear from a customer-service rep, but that's a hundred miles away from anything faintly resembling any form of ethnosocial discrimination.

That said, airport attendants dropping Orwell references while denying meal vouchers is absolutely hilarious.
But did the AC agent actual say that. I have heard pax actual make stuff up well talk to AC agents about issues.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 5:18 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YOWgary

Zero mention of racism.
My point was poorly delivered/ not received as intended
Old Feb 23, 2024, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by foothills county flier
But did the AC agent actual say that. I have heard pax actual make stuff up well talk to AC agents about issues.
Hah, and here I was, not even thinking about malice. Just trying to recall something heard in a noisy environment two stressful days prior.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 6:06 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by foothills county flier
Wasn't there a thing on this forum a couple years back where someone showed up here to complain about how the SFO gate crew were really rude to him, then someone else who was at the gate showed up to the discussion (with a photo of his boarding pass to prove it) and said "I was there, you were the one being rude"?
Old Feb 23, 2024, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by canadiancow
One of these days I'm going to say "but some animals are more equal than others", and through a game of broken telephone, someone will end of accusing me of using the word "monkey" in a racist manner.

Agent said something.
Pax relayed it to media days later.
Media edits and prints.

I really don't think we should be focusing on specific sound bites, because I have absolutely no confidence they were accurately transcribed.

You don't have to look much further than the concierge helping the Premier Elites. I'm quite confident the concierge said Super Elite.
To be fair, to someone not familiar with the AC program, "Premier Elite" sounds just about as dumb of a naming convention as the concept of "Super Elite". So I wouldn't blame them for forgetting the exact words.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
To be fair, to someone not familiar with the AC program, "Premier Elite" sounds just about as dumb of a naming convention as the concept of "Super Elite". So I wouldn't blame them for forgetting the exact words.
I think it is just as relevant when it sounds like they're misquoting a very famous line from a very famous novel.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
So, while Air Canada can claim weather for the first day, there's no excuse for all the delays the second day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.