Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Selection on Expedia Booking

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2024, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Seat Selection on Expedia Booking

Apologies if there's a thread somewhere already but I couldn't find anything after searching.

I have a friend who just booked a basic economy flight to Europe with Expedia so that they can redeem points through TD and they were charged $80 each way for standard seat selection. They mentioned this to me which seemed a little high so I just looked up their flight on the AC website and the seat selection fees for basic economy are only $30. Is there something here I'm missing? Should they call in and see if they can get the $50 refunded?
Old Jan 2, 2024, 12:54 pm

Programs: hahaha
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...lection.html#/

seat selection on international flights booked in economy basic can cost up to USD$90
Old Jan 2, 2024, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by asovse1
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...lection.html#/

seat selection on international flights booked in economy basic can cost up to USD$90
Yes, but do third party travel sites get charged more? Because I'm saying if I go and pretend to book the flight on the AC website, the seat selection fee is only $30.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 1:03 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by greg898
Yes, but do third party travel sites get charged more? Because I'm saying if I go and pretend to book the flight on the AC website, the seat selection fee is only $30.
Are you sure its for the same seat ? Preferred seats cost more.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 1:07 pm

Programs: hahaha
I mean, third-party OTAs can either charge whatever they want or whatever them and AC agreed to and that stuff usually isn't public.
With Expedia, I find that they're very by-the-book, and I was told once that they do have an AC rep on hand at the [AC] ticketing desk to explain some very niche issues with branded fares or guaranteed reservations to teach the OTA how to re-ticket/change some reservations, so these guys are comfortable with looking up AC documentation if you ask nicely. I hope then this is worth a phone call to find out! $50 a head is quite a savings if it's a full family

edit: sorry i ended up completely ignoring your reply and addressed nothing. i don't think this message is very useful to you anymore lol
Old Jan 2, 2024, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No one in his/her right mind should buy on platforms such as Expedia, end of the story. Any subsequent problem (and there are potentially many) should be looked at as self-inflicted.

"Friends don't let friends patronize Expedia."
Bohemian1 and Lancelot like this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vernonc
Are you sure its for the same seat ? Preferred seats cost more.
Yes, it was row 28 on a 787 and I was looking at a standard seat as well when I checked the AC site.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 5:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Stranger
No one in his/her right mind should buy on platforms such as Expedia, end of the story. Any subsequent problem (and there are potentially many) should be looked at as self-inflicted.

"Friends don't let friends patronize Expedia."
I learned that lesson the hard way. Never again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.