Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Paid PY booking with children, parent moved to Standby at T-12h

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid PY booking with children, parent moved to Standby at T-12h

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2023, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Thanks everyone for the kind words and suggestions.

AC has very quickly responded to my complaint email. They are forwarding my comments to the Calgary management team for investigation.

I did receive:
A refund of the fare difference, as well as a compensation = fare difference (i.e. fare difference x 2).
Small Aeroplan point compensation.
Discount code in line with what others have reported for (non-eupgrade related) downgrades.

Looking forward to when the kids are old enough to not need constant supervision on the plane, but also wouldn't trade these years for anything.

God forbid this happens again, I will call the concierge to the gate for help.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YOWgary

I generally show up to these discussions with an "I'm sure this one's got two sides", but splitting a parent and underage children into separate cabins meets my standard for "inexcusable".
Not only inexcusable but pretty much against the rules that AC themselves impose. That is, assuming they were on the same reservation and booked as children, not as adults. (Which I would expect the OP to be aware enough to have done properly. However there was a case a couple of years back where a child was left to fly alone, which made a big splash in the press. Until it was found he had been booked separately as an adult. But as I said, the OP who is well-known here surely would not have played a game like that.)
Old Dec 30, 2023, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger
Not only inexcusable but pretty much against the rules that AC themselves impose. That is, assuming they were on the same reservation and booked as children, not as adults. (Which I would expect the OP to be aware enough to have done properly. However there was a case a couple of years back where a child was left to fly alone, which made a big splash in the press. Until it was found he had been booked separately as an adult. But as I said, the OP who is well-known here surely would not have played a game like that.)
Thanks. Yes, we were all on the same PNR.

It's not possible (to my knowledge) to book them as adults since I need date of birth to match passports. As well, I don't know why, but child base fare in PY was ~$500 less per child, than the adult fare (all the taxes/fees were the same). So there would be zero advantage to booking them as adults:

I'm glad I'm not crazy in thinking this entire thing should have never happened the way it did.
flyingcrooked likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 12:01 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Thanks. Yes, we were all on the same PNR.

It's not possible (to my knowledge) to book them as adults since I need date of birth to match passports. As well, I don't know why, but child base fare in PY was ~$500 less per child, than the adult fare (all the taxes/fees were the same). So there would be zero advantage to booking them as adults:

I'm glad I'm not crazy in thinking this entire thing should have never happened the way it did.
So let me get this straight...you spent nearly $9300 with AC and this is the way you were treated by some officious GA? I hope they have at least already confirmed your FREE UPGRADES to J on the return?

One of the sad things in all this is that the unionized GA will face no consequences for the extreme black eye their conduct gave their employer.
flyingcrooked likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by billdokes
So let me get this straight...you spent nearly $9300 with AC and this is the way you were treated by some officious GA? I hope they have at least already confirmed your FREE UPGRADES to J on the return?

One of the sad things in all this is that the unionized GA will face no consequences for the extreme black eye their conduct gave their employer.
I COULD HAVE eupgraded the return TATL segment (MAD-YYZ) to J, since it was on Dec 25 and J was pretty wide open. The youngest isn't mature enough to be in a pod though, and the oldest doesn't like pods. Return YYZ-YYC was narrowbody though, so I did eupgrade that one.

I just noticed that I have two German fees on my booking from when it was originally YYC-FRA-MAD (I had booked in the summer, and the ending of AC's YYC-FRA flight changed my routing to YYC-YYZ-MAD). Is that something I should have / could have asked for a refund for? :P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.