Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Paid PY booking with children, parent moved to Standby at T-12h

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2023, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver

Hi all, similar to the double downgrade post, I had a stressful experience a couple of weeks ago.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I could have managed this better to avoid getting downgraded and kids getting split up? Or was this a no-win situation? What should I expect now?

I was flying YYC-YYZ-MAD with my 2 children in PY, both are too young be unaccompanied. Party of 3, paid PY ticket.
The Mrs and grandparents in J reward (3 adults in J).

The night before travel, I received a push notification that I was moved from my 14F seat to SBY (standby) for YYC-YYZ. I could see the bird changed from 777 (2-4-2 in PY) to 789 (2-3-2). My kids were still in PY, we had originally booked 3 of the middle PY seats together (14DEF). I assume the AC algorithm with the 777 to 787 downgrade is that the middle "F" seat PY pax are all F-ed into SBY since it doesn't exist on the 787.

I tried multiple attempts to stay on top of the issue, and each time AC staff reassured me that I would travel in PY together with my kids:
- 1st phone call to the Concierge line, they checked with a supervisor and said it would be sorted out shortly, not to worry.
- 2nd phone call 2 hours later since I had no updates from AC. They said it was under YYC control, but from what they could tell, I would stay in PY and it will be sorted out at the airport.
- YYC Concierge offered reassurances as well, and sent a note to the gate.
- Gate agent says there is a middle-middle PY seat in a different row (13D), but refused to offer it to me since it would be unfair to ask 14G for the trade (aisle), and wouldn't move any other PY pax so that I could be in the same middle 3 seats with my kids. On the AC app, I was #1 on standby and #1 on "upgrade" list for PY.

I explained to the gate agent that it made zero sense to move a SE on a paid PY ticket (rather than eupgrade) traveling with 2 small children, with an onward international connection to standby and leave the 2 kids alone in a cabin. I also mentioned I was #1 on the 2 lists. I think this set off the gate agent, and she said my only choice was to accept a downgrade for all of us into economy at the back by the lavs, or take a single economy seat by myself and leave the 4 and 8 year olds in PY. She said it with quite a bit of snark and glee, and added that she just gave away 13D to another pax. I think my comment to her came off as "DYKWIA" and she decided to stick it to me.

I had been expecting that it would be resolved and we would all be in PY based upon all the various AC reassurances. If we took a later flight to YYZ, then we would miss our connection to MAD. At the last moment, I thought of a solution:
1. 1 parent take the Y seat.
2. keep the 2 remaining PY seats - 1 parent + youngest child.
3. move the oldest child to J with the grandparents.

In the end, we took the Y seat. But it sure felt like the gate agent was intent on being as difficult and unaccommodating as possible. In hindsight, the 777 (I can't remember which config it was) to 789 swap probably created problems for a ton of pax, so I'm sure the gate agent stressed. We were fortunate that our travel party was large enough that we could think of a last minute shuffle solution.

1) What should I have done differently? Was it a bad idea that I told the gate agent I was a SE traveling with 2 kids, a connecting flight after, and on a paid ticket?
2) I wrote in to AC and included boarding passes, screenshots, etc. What should I expect in response?
warpdryv and flyingcrooked like this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
1. Have them follow the prescribed overbooking rules in the tariff. There are so many factors that would have guaranteed it wouldn't be you. Paid (not upgrade), children on PNR, onward connection, status, etc.

I would have been tempted to say "okay, so who's looking after the kids?".

But I certainly would have had them bring a concierge to the gate to deal with it.

You're required to adhere to the tariff. So are they.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
1. Have them follow the prescribed overbooking rules in the tariff. There are so many factors that would have guaranteed it wouldn't be you. Paid (not upgrade), children on PNR, onward connection, status, etc.

I would have been tempted to say "okay, so who's looking after the kids?".

But I certainly would have had them bring a concierge to the gate to deal with it.

You're required to adhere to the tariff. So are they.
Thanks CC.

I was unaware of the prescribed overbooking rules in the tariff. Per my google search, I have turned up a couple of links, for future reference for myself and others.:

https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...pdr/ACF520.pdf

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...tariffs.html#/

I did not think of calling the Concierge to the gate, I will keep that handy in the future as well.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 4:59 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
This kind of thing really grinds me, I can just picture the gate agent deciding to make someones life miserable. These kinds of people shouldn't be in customer service positions.

I would have done as canadiancow suggests and either got them to call a concierge or called myself - I've had concierges forcefully override gate agents in YYZ for me before so it wouldn't be the first time.

As for compensation I would point out to AC that procedures were not followed. Last time I had something like this happen (GA not following procedure at the gate that ended up with me in Y when I should not have been) I got $ and they proactively upgraded my next flight from Y to J.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 7:22 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
This kind of thing really grinds me, I can just picture the gate agent deciding to make someones life miserable. These kinds of people shouldn't be in customer service positions.
To quote the lady, a regular, who was standing behind me in the Zone 1 line the other day in reference to a grumpy old bint working the desk -- "That agent needs to retire, she gives the whole airline a bad name every time I see her."
Old Dec 27, 2023, 8:28 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Interestingly, as far I understand it minor children without an adult accompanying them in the cabin of travel are technically automatically considered unaccompanied minors and need to be supervised by AC, but your kids don't qualify for that based on age.

Honestly I probably would also have taken the downgrade if push came to shove but otherwise, if they are kids who travel a lot, here's the TV, maybe let the in charge know where you are and say that gate downgraded you but left the kids there. It would have been dealt with. At minimum their seat mates likely would have demanded it be sorted out.

What a mess. Do hope you write in, it does not seem as if they followed any of their standard rules.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 4:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K (1st timer!)
I just want to know what algorithm in AC’s system thinks moving a paid PY pax accompanying two minors to SBY makes any sense at all. Let alone an SE with an international connection. Seems like a rule that’s pretty easy to put in the system to not bump them. Were the remaining 19 seats all filled with MM pax?!?
wrp96, flyingcrooked and Diabeetus like this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 5:12 am

And I thought my paid J booking of 4 pax (2 adults 2 kids ) being split up across the J cabin was bad....
Old Dec 28, 2023, 7:50 am

Programs: TK *G
To me, AC is a transportation company where passengers are just some sort of specialized cargos. As long as passengers are eventually moved from A to B, it's ok for them.

Despite offering premium cabins, AC is far, far from a hospitality company. And this is why I mentioned in another thread that I have no desire to fly AC unless absolutely necessary.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CdnFlier
Interestingly, as far I understand it minor children without an adult accompanying them in the cabin of travel are technically automatically considered unaccompanied minors and need to be supervised by AC, but your kids don't qualify for that based on age.

Honestly I probably would also have taken the downgrade if push came to shove but otherwise, if they are kids who travel a lot, here's the TV, maybe let the in charge know where you are and say that gate downgraded you but left the kids there. It would have been dealt with. At minimum their seat mates likely would have demanded it be sorted out.

What a mess. Do hope you write in, it does not seem as if they followed any of their standard rules.
Thanks. I'm glad that I'm not crazy in thinking some rules were likely broken with what they did.

Unfortunately my kids are too young / not independent enough to gamble leaving the kids there. Daddy abandoning them on a flight definitely would have been a traumatic core memory.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 8:45 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Daddy abandoning them on a flight definitely would have been a traumatic core memory.
For them, Daddy, the crew, or other PAX?
Old Dec 28, 2023, 8:49 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Thanks. I'm glad that I'm not crazy in thinking some rules were likely broken with what they did.

Unfortunately my kids are too young / not independent enough to gamble leaving the kids there. Daddy abandoning them on a flight definitely would have been a traumatic core memory.
You definitely need to write in to bring this to AC's attention and try to get some compensation for your experience, which IMHO is completely unacceptable.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 9:13 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
As for compensation I would point out to AC that their employee put my children at risk.
My edit.

I generally show up to these discussions with an "I'm sure this one's got two sides", but splitting a parent and underage children into separate cabins meets my standard for "inexcusable".

...for the same reasons a parent should be denied the option to eUpgrade away from similar-aged children and leave them for the flight crew to deal with.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 9:29 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum
Personally I'd write in a written complaint naming the agent for this one.
vernonc likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 10:22 am

Report the agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.