Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2024 Elite Packages Arriving [75K packages may be sent in error]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2024, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
As of January 28, 2024
As of April 10, 2024

Where's My Package?
For those who have come to this thread for information on receiving your 2024 packages in the mail, AC is still sending them out. Yes, consistently inconsistent, and competently incompetent.
There is no change in the design of the luggage tags or membership card. The only new item is a keychain card (see below for a picture).

Stop your whining about having physical cards
Just because YOU have NEVER been asked to furnish a physical card doesn't mean that nobody needs a physical card. Also, just because YOU can't think of a reason, doesn't mean that there is no reason. This has been an ongoing, pedantic, and incessant dialogue in this forum for years. If you've never been asked for your card, you probably haven't flown enough, especially on other *A airlines in other parts of the world. SO STOP IT.

The Great 75K Debacle of 2024 tl;dr (if you're rolling your eyes, relax; this is tongue in cheek)

For those who believe that they received a 75K package in error, here's the tl;dr version (this thread is a painful read, so read the entire thread if you're a masochist like me (yyznomad)):
  • Check your online account and the AC App - if it shows you're 75K even though you expected to reflect a lower status level, then 75K is yours for 2024!
  • Unofficial reports: AC acknowledging their mistake in sending out 75K packages to those who were 75K in 2023 but didn't requalify for 75K in 2024
  • Unofficial reports: AC confirming that they are allowing these mistake 75Ks to keep 75K status for 2024.
  • Those who fall in the above cohort have confirmed that their online status shows as 75K and were provided with 75K benefit selections, so although we haven't had any official proof from AC, the reported evidence is mounting...
  • Others have reported being lower than 75K in 2023 but still getting a bump to 75K for 2024. There may be other reasons for this that are not necessarily related to the aforementioned "mistake" 75K debacle:
    • For example, you may have been near the 75K threshold in at least one of the *QM categories in 2023, and AC gave you a freebie bump up (this would be status quo to prior years, so nothing new)
  • There are reports of account glitches where one gets to choose benefits twice and have "doubled up" on benefits, such as eUps. This may or may not be related to the aforementioned mistake 75K debacle.
  • Conjecture: Based on the anecdotal evidence so far, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that AC just gave more bump ups to 75K because they couldn't contain or fix the original mistake-75K issue properly.

2024 Keychain Card
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
They are just a keychain.

the backside of the keychain has
- One’s Aeroplan Number
- Expiry Month/Year
- First name initial and Last Name
- Barcode

*This photo is sponsored by the ‘Inclusion for All 75K’ Advocacy Group 🤝

Print Wikipost

2024 Elite Packages Arriving [75K packages may be sent in error]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2024, 8:56 am
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I have a friend who was a few SQDs short of requalifying for his E75, so he booked a last minute mileage run from YYZ-YUL for Dec 28. When he got his notification that he had requalified, he was mystified but cancelled his MR ticket. They should definitely honor the E75 status in his case.
What was the notification he got? Are you talking about just the package in the mail? If so, and he was mystified, why didn’t he check online to confirm?

If he didn’t meet the requirements they should not honour the status.

So much of this entire thread is full of ridiculous ideas when in fact all AC did was make an error and that doesn’t mean a bunch of people should get status they didn’t earn.

If a bank screws up and deposits money into your account in error, sorry to let everyone know but this isn’t Monopoly and you don’t get to keep the money, they will correct it.

If a grocery store makes an error in a flyer and you go to cash in, sorry folks that you will just be greeted by a notice that there was a misprint and they regret the error. They aren’t honouring the price (and this isn’t false advertising, as it’s just an error).

End of the day, I wouldn’t expect AC to grant anything to those who received a package in error. In fact, I’d be upset as it dilutes the program for the rest of us who actually earned our status.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:05 am

Programs: AC E75K, MR/SPG Plat Ambassador, UA G
Originally Posted by wjw
What was the notification he got? Are you talking about just the package in the mail? If so, and he was mystified, why didn’t he check online to confirm?

So much of this entire thread is full of ridiculous ideas when in fact all AC did was make an error and that doesn’t mean a bunch of people should get status they didn’t earn.
Yes, the package including a signed letter from the CEO which states I have 75k status for the upcoming year. I don't think it's unreasonable to take that "notification" at face value and assume I was part of some promo that I wasn't aware of. It wasn't outside the realm of possibilities or unreasonable like your bank analogy.

In my case, I haven't gotten an email from Aeroplan regarding anything in over 2 years (I don't know why, another AC IT glitch), so I assumed I missed a promo email.

Lastly, not everyone is as proactive or engaged on FlyerTalk as the members here. Many people likely received the package and went on with their day without giving it much thought or questioning it. Why is the onus on the AP member to ensure what AC is sending them accurate?

​​​​
billdokes likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by wjw

If a bank screws up and deposits money into your account in error, sorry to let everyone know but this isn’t Monopoly and you don’t get to keep the money, they will correct it.

If a grocery store makes an error in a flyer and you go to cash in, sorry folks that you will just be greeted by a notice that there was a misprint and they regret the error. They aren’t honouring the price (and this isn’t false advertising, as it’s just an error).

End of the day, I wouldn’t expect AC to grant anything to those who received a package in error. In fact, I’d be upset as it dilutes the program for the rest of us who actually earned our status.
When he signed in to his AE account, it said "You've reached 75K Status!" He looked at his app and it said his E75 status was valid until Dec 31, 2024. Since he was so close, he figured that he had somehow miscalculated.
billdokes likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by yyz_consulted
Yes, the package including a signed letter from the CEO which states I have 75k status for the upcoming year. I don't think it's unreasonable to take that "notification" at face value and assume I was part of some promo that I wasn't aware of. It wasn't outside the realm of possibilities or unreasonable like your bank analogy.

In my case, I haven't gotten an email from Aeroplan regarding anything in over 2 years (I don't know why, another AC IT glitch), so I assumed I missed a promo email.

Lastly, not everyone is as proactive or engaged on FlyerTalk as the members here. Many people likely received the package and went on with their day without giving it much thought or questioning it. Why is the onus on the AP member to ensure what AC is sending them accurate?

​​​​
Once the digital cards are updated I hope you and others will report back and let us know if this matches with the physical cards sent. That will answer some of the questions here.

You must have at least wondered why you received the 75k renewal, knowing (or thinking) that you did not requalify. If this is what AC intends they do themselves no favor by not telling you why. You do not know why you were renewed and others in this forum who take that last MR to qualify may seem resentful. To be clear, that resentment should be (and I'm sure is) directed to AC not the individual who received the perceived status bump.

A number of years ago I requalified fo 50k and received the package. Then a few weeks later I received an e mail to select my 75k benefits, and received a new package in the mail after that. I was very confused at the time and thought it too good to be true, but it was. I still have no idea why (my SQD may have exceed 75k level, but SQM/SQS were not close). If AC bumped me because of this, or some other reason, it was a lost opportunity to tell me. Even a "Dear X, we have reviewed your history and based on your loyalty (or SQx or whatever) we are pleased to offer you 75K for the upcoming year" would have made sense. AC is not known for stellar customer relations though.
yyz_consulted likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:45 am
wjw

When he signed in to his AE account, it said "You've reached 75K Status!" He looked at his app and it said his E75 status was valid until Dec 31, 2024. Since he was so close, he figured that he had somehow miscalculated.
In that case, are you sure he doesn’t actually have 75k status? I believe most of the cases upthread involving receiving the mailed package in error but the digital card still said Dec 31 2023. They do sometimes grant status if you “just missed” which is documented in another thread.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 11:29 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
While there may be some kind of financial analysis on this whole 75K thing, in the end I suspect AC will just do whatever is easiest for them.

While we may think otherwise, there's no need to over complicate any 'fix' for this error.
m.y and D404 like this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wjw
In that case, are you sure he doesn’t actually have 75k status? I believe most of the cases upthread involving receiving the mailed package in error but the digital card still said Dec 31 2023. They do sometimes grant status if you “just missed” which is documented in another thread.
He did get a package but he only saw it when he got home from his Xmas visits. He was very confused about what he saw on the app on Dec 23 but was thrilled he didn’t have to do a MR the day before he had a planned trip to go to NY. Like I said, he was very close and AC took forever to post his SQM/SQDs from the Sept/Oct promo so he was scrambling to get to the finish line between Xmas and New Year. He was extremely relieved that he had somehow miscalculated.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 1:37 pm
wjw

He did get a package but he only saw it when he got home from his Xmas visits. He was very confused about what he saw on the app on Dec 23 but was thrilled he didn’t have to do a MR the day before he had a planned trip to go to NY. Like I said, he was very close and AC took forever to post his SQM/SQDs from the Sept/Oct promo so he was scrambling to get to the finish line between Xmas and New Year. He was extremely relieved that he had somehow miscalculated.
Right. I just mean if he saw it on the app there is a good chance he actually does have 75k and this is not the same issue as the others in this thread are having. My understanding is that some (many?) people received a 75k package but their status and expiration date in app still showed that they didn’t have that status (which is how they knew that the packages were sent in error).

If your friend saw on the app that he achieved 75k, he very well may have it? Or is there something else indicating that he is not?
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only indication was that he was short a few SQDs. He was surprised to see it but figured he had missed reading a promo correctly or something like that.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 1:48 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
While it's understandable mistakes do happen, I'm surprised (not surprised?) at the lack of follow up communication from AC, either to impacted members specifically or to every current elite member acknowledging the error.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
That's not what the gist of this discussion is about.

They rounded your friend up. The status is showing in the system. He is 75K.

The other people received the physical package, but there's no indication in any system that they're 75K, and they were not "very close".
Old Jan 1, 2024, 5:24 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by yyz_consulted
​​​​
Airlines have routinely shown that they do not honour mistake fares if they cost them an exorbitant amount. This is despite the customer having a purchased fare with an confirmation, booking reference etc.

If I was AC I would give everyone affected 1 status higher than they would have otherwise earned (50 -> 75, 35 -> 50, 25 -> 35, nothing -> 25). This would strike a balance between the affected 75K customers and those would earned via published requirements (promos included). But they're under no obligation to.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 6:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Westjet Gold, Skymiles, Alaska MP, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Amex MR
I've received no physical package, but I should lose my 75K status (down to 25K), and it still shows me as 75K in the app. There is however an in-app banner asking for patience while they update 2024 status, so it seems they're a bit behind.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:07 pm

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by davesmunroe
I've received no physical package, but I should lose my 75K status (down to 25K), and it still shows me as 75K in the app. There is however an in-app banner asking for patience while they update 2024 status, so it seems they're a bit behind.
I haven't received any email regarding status whatsoever and my dashboard shows the same as yours. I forget how long it took last year to update status...
Old Jan 1, 2024, 10:40 pm

I was looking for something else and stumbled across this in the Aeroplan Elite Status T&C:

The form of communication with Status Holders about Aeroplan Elite Status will be by email. By accessing or using the benefits and privileges offered as part of Aeroplan Elite Status, Status Holders agree that all Aeroplan Elite Status communications will be provided electronically only.

So AC may have a legal "Out" - the mailed packages mean nothing as it is not the agreed upon form of communication?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.