Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

seat charges on award travel - non-refundable

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

seat charges on award travel - non-refundable

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2023, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
preferred seat charges non-refundable on award travel. Why?

I'm curious as to the rationale behind the 'preferred' seat charges on an award reservation being non-refundable when cancelling said award travel reservation.

I booked my family on a separate reservation from me using aeroplan points and paid for 'preferred' seats for them. But then we ended up having to cancel the trip.

All points are redeposited without any sort of fee, but the seat charges themselves are non-refundable. Those seats are now released and available for the next person to grab them / pay for them.

So in theory, AC can charge multiple times for the same seats for the same flight, no? Is this nothing more than another revenue grab?
billdokes likes this.

Last edited by ajcopley; Oct 31, 2023 at 4:20 pm
Old Oct 31, 2023, 4:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by ajcopley
I'm curious as to the rationale behind the 'preferred' seat charges on an award reservation being non-refundable when cancelling said award travel reservation.

I booked my family on a separate reservation from me using aeroplan points and paid for 'preferred' seats for them. But then we ended up having to cancel the trip.

All points are redeposited without any sort of fee, but the seat charges themselves are non-refundable. Those seats are now released and available for the next person to grab them / pay for them.

So in theory, AC can charge multiple times for the same seats for the same flight, no? Is this nothing more than another revenue grab?
One rationale I can think of is to avoid people using refundable ticket to "hold on" a preferred seat and then moving someone else to it upon checkin when many preferred seats become free.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Changeup2000
One rationale I can think of is to avoid people using refundable ticket to "hold on" a preferred seat and then moving someone else to it upon checkin when many preferred seats become free.
Most refundable fares have free preferred seats.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 3:36 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Most refundable fares have free preferred seats.
As an SE I've also called in and explained that Bill Jr + I are on separate PNR's because I'm on a FP and he's on a paid/reward ticket...never been an issue to get an agent to put him in a preferred seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.