Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Would you vote for aeroplan in Canada's Choice Awards?

Old Sep 26, 2023, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

i just got an email from Air Canada asking me to vote for Aeroplan in the Canada's Choice Awards.
I can't write my initial reaction to that because it would get deleted and i'd probably get banned but i started wondering if maybe i'm wrong about aeroplan. from my point of view, the points appear to have become nearly worthless. whereas we used to be able to fly the two of us to europe and back in J for 280k points, now that wouln't even get one of us oneway there in J. someone else posted that a oneway in J to auckland was over half-a-million points. I don't know what will become of the points i have.
Will aeroplan ever return to "normal" redemtions? or is this game over? It feels to me that the "points game" is over. curious to know what opinion others have.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 6:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
Ouch! Bad timing for this to come out given the thread about credit card incentives.
Cas23 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 7:16 pm

No. Before the summer months I would have ranked it as one of the best programs out there, but now it's just as mediocre as the rest of the programs that I might use.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 7:37 pm

Programs: Westjet, Air Canada 3MM, Best Western, Marriott
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
No. Before the summer months I would have ranked it as one of the best programs out there, but now it's just as mediocre as the rest of the programs that I might use.
AC may have cut Aeroplans benefits, but who is better? I would say no one. Westjet, Air miles, Scene card are all jokes.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by rambling man
i just got an email from Air Canada asking me to vote for Aeroplan in the Canada's Choice Awards.
I can't write my initial reaction to that because it would get deleted and i'd probably get banned but i started wondering if maybe i'm wrong about aeroplan. from my point of view, the points appear to have become nearly worthless. whereas we used to be able to fly the two of us to europe and back in J for 280k points, now that wouln't even get one of us oneway there in J. someone else posted that a oneway in J to auckland was over half-a-million points. I don't know what will become of the points i have.
Will aeroplan ever return to "normal" redemtions? or is this game over? It feels to me that the "points game" is over. curious to know what opinion others have.
If you book far enough out, aeroplan still offers good value. The only way J point redemption will come down, is if J fares drop too.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 7:43 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I don't use points for big redemptions often (won't reach my SQD goals otherwise), and I have a 100% eUpgrade success rate this year. So I'm probably more inclined to vote for Aeroplan than others.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 8:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I just redeemed 3 pax to PVG for about 140K in PY. Given the cash price now is over 10K, not a bad redemption rate at all. I believe it is just the air price is extremely high now.

But back at your question, I am still not happy about never being able to reach concierges by phone every time I actually need it. So I am not sure if I would bother voting for them now
Old Sep 26, 2023, 8:09 pm

Programs: TK *G
Its kinda like political elections. Vote for something I like, or vote for something that I dislike the least? Or, vote based on emotions such as if the cost of the flight I want to redeem is higher than I anticipated? Or if AC/AP delivered the benefits that I think I am entitled to?

I dont like AC/AP, but I dislike it the least among other programs in Canada. Based on emotions, I personally find AP alright as I can still extract lots of value from it.
Symmetre likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 8:11 pm

I will in exchange for the ability to carryover 5 segments to next year.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 8:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan unknown
Originally Posted by foothills county flier
AC may have cut Aeroplans benefits, but who is better?
Considering it is a Canadian award, not a lot of choice between what program sucks the least.
oaustin likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

If you book far enough out, aeroplan still offers good value. The only way J point redemption will come down, is if J fares drop too.
serious question: do you have an example? i've been looking at tickets from YVR to anywhere in europe in J and cannot find anything for less than about one-million points round-trip for two people. most flights would come out way over that. i look as far out as possible and also within the next weeks and randomly in between. I can't even find ANY flights other than AC either. i used to see LH, TK, and loads of others and now it's zip, zilch, zero. Only AC at astronomical numbers.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 9:03 pm

serious question: do you have an example? i've been looking at tickets from YVR to anywhere in europe in J and cannot find anything for less than about one-million points round-trip for two people. most flights would come out way over that. i look as far out as possible and also within the next weeks and randomly in between. I can't even find ANY flights other than AC either. i used to see LH, TK, and loads of others and now it's zip, zilch, zero. Only AC at astronomical numbers.
April this year to Spain/France, 2 J tickets. I think the 2 return tickets were 220k.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 9:13 pm

Thinking through this has me so conflicted, because while I hate the idea of endorsing a company as sleazy as AC, theres no other air membership program Id take over them

The lack of other options is truly very Canadian
JeffYVR likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

April this year to Spain/France, 2 J tickets. I think the 2 return tickets were 220k.
this year as in the past or this coming year, 2024?

i just had a look and see that there are a few LH flights from YVR.back on aeroplan. i've been looking for a while and they had all disappeared as per other threads.

anyway, thanks for the comments and back to the original question: would you vote for aeroplan? i sure wouldn't. not these days.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 10:07 pm

this year as in the past or this coming year, 2024?

i just had a look and see that there are a few LH flights from YVR.back on aeroplan. i've been looking for a while and they had all disappeared as per other threads.

anyway, thanks for the comments and back to the original question: would you vote for aeroplan? i sure wouldn't. not these days.
This year, 2023.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.