Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2023, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: YVR72
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard" (owned by Intelsat), formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • Multiple passes are typically offered ranging from one hour to the entire flight and, on aircraft with the 2Ku system, at different speeds
  • You can pay with a credit card or with Aeroplan points
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 7M8 (530 thru 540 - about 25% of the 7M8 fleet)
    • 789 (except 860-861)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
      • 8 newest 320s to be upgraded in 2024 and beyond
    • 321 (mainline) except refurbs per above (remaining fleet to be upgraded 2024 and beyond) and FIN 483 per below
Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • 321 (mainline): 483 (ex-EVA, entering service with EVA's config)
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: Anything not listed above
  • 789: 860, 861
  • 333: 946, 948, 950

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Future Plans

In September 2023, AC announced plans to install the 2Ku WiFi system on the 7M8s, 321s and the 8 newest 320s "starting in" 2023. The E75s and CR9s will also be upgraded to satellite-based systems "starting in" 2024. No timeline has been provided for completion of these projects, and history suggests it could be years before they're finished.

AC has also shown itself willing to take delivery of new aircraft (whether brand new or second-hand) without WiFi and operate them that way for considerable periods of time. WiFi should eventually be installed on all widebody and mainline narrowbody aircraft, but who knows when this will happen.

Air Canada SE/75K WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year
  • The benefit gives you streaming-quality WiFi on all AC flights globally
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight
Print Wikipost

On-Board WiFi (2023 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2023, 5:34 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bual
A nice offer by you.
I also received that free Wifi offer... and it was a bit of a dud.
It offered free Wifi for a flight to or from Europe for the one way duration of the flight.

In reality the code only gave me a specified 60 minutes... counted down to zero... and disconnected.
I wrote to them... and never heard back. Oh well.
I can't say what you did, but don't forget that when you connect onboard you need to select the duration of the wifi (1 hour or full flight) before you enter the promo code. I suspect that if you sign up for only an hour, it will still accept the promo code - but then time out after one hour.

I also had a promo code for a TATL flight which I used on Monday and it worked for the entire flight.

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
I have a passcode for wifi to give away

Last summer when I was booked to fly to LIS, TD VISA sent me a wi-fi code for free wi-fi to/from Europe. I never used it and it expires March 1st.

I forgot all about until I flew out to BOG on Saturday and found it. Hate to waste it so if anyone wants it PM me.
And I also have an unused promo code for wifi on a TATL flight. From the email: you can use it on any other Air Canada® flight to or from Europe with available Wi‑Fi before March 1, 2023.

PM me if you can use it. If I receive multiple requests, preference will be given to FTers with more posts (ideally here in the AC forum)
Old Feb 22, 2023, 2:34 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Sitting on FIN 115 (A 223). Wifi worked at the gate first and second time (we had to return to gate after an aborted takeoff).
Old Feb 22, 2023, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I'm so sick of this login nonsense. 25 minutes of trying and failing to get the page loaded then having to connect to Gogo support to get a promo code then explaining the problem then logging in with the promo code. I've done 7 WiFi-equipped flights in the past 2 weeks, and this is the 3rd or 4th flight it has been impossible to use the stupid elite benefit.
I have now had two good experiences with this approach after I get the "Errror Try as Guest". In a new private window I go straight to aircanada.com (which is whitelisted without logging in), login to my account, and once logged in I trigger the Wifi landing page. When I click login with my Aeroplan Benefits it just connects me to the Internet after a short delay since I'm already logged into ac.com

ymmv
Old Feb 23, 2023, 2:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I still find it very annoying that there's no WIFI on 737 Max 8 (maybe not all but quite a few that I've been on recently). Surprisingly, the older Airbus jets give me the least problems logging into WIFI it seems...
Old Feb 23, 2023, 2:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Cerberus
I still find it very annoying that there's no WIFI on 737 Max 8 (maybe not all but quite a few that I've been on recently). Surprisingly, the older Airbus jets give me the least problems logging into WIFI it seems...
Anybody know why not on the 737s? They had the opportunity to equip them on aquisition, or when they were grounded or during the pandemic. Does this imply that the 737s are not long term adds to the fleet?

I was on one today and briefly thought I saw the SSID pop up implying that they were equipped but not enabled.

Last edited by MStrople; Feb 23, 2023 at 5:38 pm
Old Feb 23, 2023, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by MStrople
Anybody now why not on the 737s? They had the opportunity to equip them on aquisition, or when they were grounded or during the pandemic. Does this imply that the 737s are not long term adds to the fleet?

I was on one today and briefly thought I saw the SSID pop up implying that they were equipped but not enabled.
I've not hit the 7M8's that much but a colleague of mine flies them for AC and apparently the reliability was so bad on the Thales system (as opposed to the GoGo-esque system the rest of the fleet use) that AC pulled the plug. One needs to wonder how bad inflight wifi has to get for AC to pull the plug given how bad some of the A-T-G stuff is.

Apparently they are testing a new setup that works better but it hasn't been widely rolled out.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 7:39 pm

Programs: AC*A
n = 1, I was on 7M8 FIN 507 / C-FSES to OGG last week. Wifi cut in and out, and failed completely (message along the lines of out of area of service) about 3h into the flight.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 1:49 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yowcat
I have now had two good experiences with this approach after I get the "Errror Try as Guest". In a new private window I go straight to aircanada.com (which is whitelisted without logging in), login to my account, and once logged in I trigger the Wifi landing page. When I click login with my Aeroplan Benefits it just connects me to the Internet after a short delay since I'm already logged into ac.com
How many times do you get the error before you go to private browsing? I find when the login does eventually work, it often requires several attempts. I have found that Incognito/Private/whatever doesn't solve the problem when it's not working. So I wonder whether it's working for you because it would have worked if you had given it another try in normal browsing anyway.
Originally Posted by MStrople
Anybody know why not on the 737s? They had the opportunity to equip them on aquisition, or when they were grounded or during the pandemic. Does this imply that the 737s are not long term adds to the fleet?
No. Please read the wiki, and read some of the numerous posts on this issue in the past few pages of this thread for more background.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 8:23 am

How many times do you get the error before you go to private browsing? I find when the login does eventually work, it often requires several attempts. I have found that Incognito/Private/whatever doesn't solve the problem when it's not working. So I wonder whether it's working for you because it would have worked if you had given it another try in normal browsing anyway.
I pop open normal browser and try signing into AC via WifiOnBoard. If that comes up with the "Try as Guest" I open a private browser (I'm not sure why, I just wanted a clean session) and go to aircanada.com and if I can login there which seems to be way more successful I go in that browser session back to WifiOnBoard and click "Sign in with Aeroplan" and after a bit of spinning get "You are connected to the Internet".

Your 100% right. My initial tries may be the one causing it to go since even the private browser I don't believe changes your session data with WifiOnBoard which would be based on your wifi MAC address. I honestly keep forgetting to try it cold on a flight the first time.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 2:50 pm

Purchased a pass on a 737 flight to Hawaii. The wifi worked for maybe 5 mins after the flight and that's it. I paid $20+ for the stream pass I think. Would I get a refund if I called?
Old Feb 25, 2023, 4:28 pm

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
I'd rather not scour through all 120+ pages of this thread so i will ask this: what can I expect to pay for internet on a 10 hour flight ATH-YUL. I have no status with AC and will be in paid J (P fare bucket)?
Old Feb 25, 2023, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by OttawaMark
I'd rather not scour through all 120+ pages of this thread so i will ask this: what can I expect to pay for internet on a 10 hour flight ATH-YUL. I have no status with AC and will be in paid J (P fare bucket)?
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...d/wi-fi.html#/
Old Feb 26, 2023, 5:00 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
I'm so sick of this login nonsense. 25 minutes of trying and failing to get the page loaded then having to connect to Gogo support to get a promo code then explaining the problem then logging in with the promo code. I've done 7 WiFi-equipped flights in the past 2 weeks, and this is the 3rd or 4th flight it has been impossible to use the stupid elite benefit.

At what point is Gogo going to send AC a bill for the insane amount of customer support time this must be burning up?
I keep meaning to copy my chat session with GoGo support so that I can just cut and paste it the next time. I'll do that on Tuesday.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 6:06 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Tax Dude
I keep meaning to copy my chat session with GoGo support so that I can just cut and paste it the next time. I'll do that on Tuesday.
I've been having issues recently as well. The amount of time waste with GoGo support while in the air is pretty crazy. I keep getting temporary codes to use during flight. I wonder how much that is being re-billed to AC if others are having issues
Old Feb 27, 2023, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On AC849 the other day, it was not until we were near Hudson bay that I finally managed to log on on my cell phone. My mac never connected.
Earlier I had asked an FA about wifi not working, got the answer that over the ocean there is often no service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.