Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2023, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: YVR72
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard" (owned by Intelsat), formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • Multiple passes are typically offered ranging from one hour to the entire flight and, on aircraft with the 2Ku system, at different speeds
  • You can pay with a credit card or with Aeroplan points
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 7M8 (530 thru 540 - about 25% of the 7M8 fleet)
    • 789 (except 860-861)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
      • 8 newest 320s to be upgraded in 2024 and beyond
    • 321 (mainline) except refurbs per above (remaining fleet to be upgraded 2024 and beyond) and FIN 483 per below
Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • 321 (mainline): 483 (ex-EVA, entering service with EVA's config)
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: Anything not listed above
  • 789: 860, 861
  • 333: 946, 948, 950

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Future Plans

In September 2023, AC announced plans to install the 2Ku WiFi system on the 7M8s, 321s and the 8 newest 320s "starting in" 2023. The E75s and CR9s will also be upgraded to satellite-based systems "starting in" 2024. No timeline has been provided for completion of these projects, and history suggests it could be years before they're finished.

AC has also shown itself willing to take delivery of new aircraft (whether brand new or second-hand) without WiFi and operate them that way for considerable periods of time. WiFi should eventually be installed on all widebody and mainline narrowbody aircraft, but who knows when this will happen.

Air Canada SE/75K WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year
  • The benefit gives you streaming-quality WiFi on all AC flights globally
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight
Print Wikipost

On-Board WiFi (2023 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:31 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by recreationaltimetraveller
I just go straight to the chat support now and quote that problem, "pretend" to go through their troubleshooting until they give me a free flight pass and then activate that way.

I think i'm 3/15 flights where the Aeroplan authentication has actually worked.
Ditto, so much so I have my spiel saved in notes, copy and paste, followed by a song and dance that varies in length.
D582 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 5:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I am SE with the annual WIFI pass- I have been unable to log in recently because 2FA tries to send me an email to authenticate. I can't get the email, because the Wifi isn't active! VERY frustrating. I can't turn off 2FA in my profile, because I have an AC Wallet balance. Any ideas for a work around?
Old Apr 5, 2024, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Harold2021
I am SE with the annual WIFI pass- I have been unable to log in recently because 2FA tries to send me an email to authenticate. I can't get the email, because the Wifi isn't active! VERY frustrating. I can't turn off 2FA in my profile, because I have an AC Wallet balance. Any ideas for a work around?
How recently? I had no issues on Monday (it didn't ask for 2FA).
Old Apr 6, 2024, 10:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by canadiancow
How recently? I had no issues on Monday (it didn't ask for 2FA).
Yesterday on an E75 LGA-YUL. Same thing happened (also E75) YUL-LGA on Tuesday.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Harold2021
I suspect you are not doing this the right way, i.e. accessing the login page from "have a pass" etc.

Then of course if doing it the wrong way, from the aircanada.com page, which you have access to without being logged on, of course it will asl for MFA.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 12:21 pm

Programs: AC P(easant)25K
It appears that the WiFi situation is going to get complicated in the future with the "new" CZ A320 and BR A321 entering service with their original config.

Fin 483 C-FCEU Ex-EVA is scheduled on April 12's AC263 YYZ-YWG

The seat map is showing EVA's C8/Y176 config and marked as "No Wi-Fi available on this aircraft". Guess I can go-ahead and update the Wiki...
Not too sure if the CZ A320 coming into service in May will have their WiFi enabled either.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 8:07 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Was pretty impressed to see these speeds on a recent AC flight (789 YYZ - YVR)...much better than I get with Bell Fibe in Oakville!!

YVR72 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 8:36 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I hope the people at AC who make decisions around WiFi are sufficiently ashamed and embarrassed about how pathetic the situation is. I was lulled in to a false sense of complacency when I had a flight on an old ATG aircraft on Friday night, and the WiFi worked fine - signed in right away, okay speed, stayed connected throughout the flight. Then I had 3 consecutive flights on satellite aircraft and everything worked fine. This morning, nearly 45 minutes to get logged in, speed is terrible - many pages requiring several attempts to load, unable to get anything done, constantly cutting out.

Of course, at least I'm not on one of the two brand new 789s or fairly recent CR9s where they haven't even bothered to install it.

Shocking that in 2024, we're still dealing with this.
canadiancow, Bohemian1 and YYC3722 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I hope the people at AC who make decisions around WiFi are sufficiently ashamed and embarrassed about how pathetic the situation is. I was lulled in to a false sense of complacency when I had a flight on an old ATG aircraft on Friday night, and the WiFi worked fine - signed in right away, okay speed, stayed connected throughout the flight. Then I had 3 consecutive flights on satellite aircraft and everything worked fine. This morning, nearly 45 minutes to get logged in, speed is terrible - many pages requiring several attempts to load, unable to get anything done, constantly cutting out.

Of course, at least I'm not on one of the two brand new 789s or fairly recent CR9s where they haven't even bothered to install it.

Shocking that in 2024, we're still dealing with this.
I'm flying to YYZ next week. I have a flight booked, but I absolutely (absolutely!) need wifi.

Which means while I'd love AC 740 on Thursday (currently a 223), I'm going to have to start checking possibly as early as Tuesday and just hopping on the first reasonable flight that I "know" will have wifi.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 12:51 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I take this back. The WiFi was so terrible that it would have been better to not have it, because I would have just done other things. I wasted so much time trying to log in, retrying pages that didn't load, etc.
expert7700 and canadiancow like this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 12:59 pm

I take this back. The WiFi was so terrible that it would have been better to not have it, because I would have just done other things. I wasted so much time trying to log in, retrying pages that didn't load, etc.
Don't give them ideas! Remember what happened when the 7M8 wifi was "so terrible" ?!?!?!
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 6:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I am (un)lucky enough to be flying the one or two only Dreamliners in the AC fleet not ti have Wi-Fi today. 4 hours wasted and now I have to work overtime tonight.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 5:58 am

I was on one yesterday, utterly ridiculous. Especially considering that for the days leading up to my flight the app kept telling me my flight would have wifi. There is really no excuse for this, it's 2024.

Originally Posted by Changeup2000
I am (un)lucky enough to be flying the one or two only Dreamliners in the AC fleet not ti have Wi-Fi today. 4 hours wasted and now I have to work overtime tonight.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 12:52 pm

I had a new experience. When signing into the wifi via Aeroplan I had to do 20 captcha tests. Most likely the captcha was not working because I was not in the full internet yet. Ultimately login failed. In a second attempt and after 20 more "select all squares with a motorcycle" pictures I finally could log in. Why can't AC get wifi working on their fleet?
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by Schumpeter
I had a new experience. When signing into the wifi via Aeroplan I had to do 20 captcha tests. Most likely the captcha was not working because I was not in the full internet yet…
same here - was able to complete the captcha luckily, probably because I was still on the ground.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.