Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2023, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: YVR72
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard" (owned by Intelsat), formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • Multiple passes are typically offered ranging from one hour to the entire flight and, on aircraft with the 2Ku system, at different speeds
  • You can pay with a credit card or with Aeroplan points
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 7M8 (530 thru 540 - about 25% of the 7M8 fleet)
    • 789 (except 860-861)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
      • 8 newest 320s to be upgraded in 2024 and beyond
    • 321 (mainline) except refurbs per above (remaining fleet to be upgraded 2024 and beyond) and FIN 483 per below
Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • 321 (mainline): 483 (ex-EVA, entering service with EVA's config)
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: Anything not listed above
  • 789: 860, 861
  • 333: 946, 948, 950

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Future Plans

In September 2023, AC announced plans to install the 2Ku WiFi system on the 7M8s, 321s and the 8 newest 320s "starting in" 2023. The E75s and CR9s will also be upgraded to satellite-based systems "starting in" 2024. No timeline has been provided for completion of these projects, and history suggests it could be years before they're finished.

AC has also shown itself willing to take delivery of new aircraft (whether brand new or second-hand) without WiFi and operate them that way for considerable periods of time. WiFi should eventually be installed on all widebody and mainline narrowbody aircraft, but who knows when this will happen.

Air Canada SE/75K WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year
  • The benefit gives you streaming-quality WiFi on all AC flights globally
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight
Print Wikipost

On-Board WiFi (2023 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2023, 7:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I think I was able to do just this on a 788 last week; they did mention at the same time as the live TV announcement that they were going to implement it, didn't they? I have a couple of 788 segments tomorrow, will try to remember to check.
Originally I believe turned itself on/off above ~10,000 feet. About 6 months ago I noticed that that the 2Ku systems were available on the ground and during climb and decent. Not sure if the ATG would work on the ground.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I think I was able to do just this on a 788 last week; they did mention at the same time as the live TV announcement that they were going to implement it, didn't they? I have a couple of 788 segments tomorrow, will try to remember to check.
I have one today.

But I also had one on Tuesday, and you couldn't get to the login page until around the time we hit cruise altitude, and Aeroplan login didn't work for a while after that.

Originally Posted by MStrople
Originally I believe turned itself on/off above ~10,000 feet. About 6 months ago I noticed that that the 2Ku systems were available on the ground and during climb and decent. Not sure if the ATG would work on the ground.
I've certainly had it work below 10k, many times, for years. But I've never had it work during boarding.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 10:06 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
But I also had one on Tuesday, and you couldn't get to the login page until around the time we hit cruise altitude, and Aeroplan login didn't work for a while after that.
Oh, don't get me started on that. I had two segments on 321s on Sunday. On the first one, it took forever and many attempts to get the damned Aeroplan login page to load properly. On the second, I gave up after who knows how long. Gogo gave me a one-time code as a "one-off", so I was sorted, but it was incredible how badly it was working. Had no issues on the 788 segment though, I'm pretty sure I was on the WiFi before we left the ramp.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 10:49 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Wifi was not available on C-FNNH. At 17hr 33min in the air, it would have been nice to have.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 12:23 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
AC138, at the gate. ACWiFi up and running, but login page just results in infinitely spinning plane. Multiple devices and browsers. Hopefully it will work after we push back or are in the air.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 12:45 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
AC138, at the gate. ACWiFi up and running, but login page just results in infinitely spinning plane. Multiple devices and browsers. Hopefully it will work after we push back or are in the air.
I've been having this problem for the last few flights. Haven't been able to get all the way to the login screen.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Well here I am, sitting on 743 (FIN 807). We're still boarding. And I'm signed into wifi.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 5:46 pm

I'm so sick of this login nonsense. 25 minutes of trying and failing to get the page loaded then having to connect to Gogo support to get a promo code then explaining the problem then logging in with the promo code. I've done 7 WiFi-equipped flights in the past 2 weeks, and this is the 3rd or 4th flight it has been impossible to use the stupid elite benefit.

At what point is Gogo going to send AC a bill for the insane amount of customer support time this must be burning up?
Old Feb 20, 2023, 6:22 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
At what point is Gogo going to send AC a bill for the insane amount of customer support time this must be burning up?
Interesting that you assume it's AC's fault. You're not going to get much AC IT praise from me, but I kinda assumed that the connection hassles we a provider issue, not AC's.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim
Interesting that you assume it's AC's fault. You're not going to get much AC IT praise from me, but I kinda assumed that the connection hassles we a provider issue, not AC's.
The problem is never loading the splash page. Logging in to a Gogo account always works just fine. The problem is always and only getting to the AC login page. It's possible that it's Gogo's problem, but based on the evidence plus AC's track record, is there really much, if any, doubt as to whose screw-up this is?
Old Feb 20, 2023, 7:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ffsim
I'm also super frustrated with the elite Wi-Fi benefit, and 100% convinced it's Air Canada's fault. Logging in with a Gogo account works quickly and easily. Just getting the AC sign in page to show up, never mind logging in, is a battle unto itself.

I eagerly picked the Wi-Fi benefit when I made E75K last year, but it's been a big dud. On my YYC–YVR flight a few days ago, I only got connected log enough to execute a single SQL query. It's getting super tiring spending most of these flights trying to do the damn AC W-Fi sign in.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 7:19 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Well here I am, sitting on 743 (FIN 807). We're still boarding. And I'm signed into wifi.
Currently on a Rouge A319. SSID was present during boarding; however "Internet was not available" but literally as soon as we pushed I could login via aircanada.com and stream.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 10:01 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
I have a passcode for wifi to give away

Last summer when I was booked to fly to LIS, TD VISA sent me a wi-fi code for free wi-fi to/from Europe. I never used it and it expires March 1st.

I forgot all about until I flew out to BOG on Saturday and found it. Hate to waste it so if anyone wants it PM me.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 11:53 pm

Programs: AC 25K
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
I have a passcode for wifi to give away

Last summer when I was booked to fly to LIS, TD VISA sent me a wi-fi code for free wi-fi to/from Europe. I never used it and it expires March 1st.

I forgot all about until I flew out to BOG on Saturday and found it. Hate to waste it so if anyone wants it PM me.
A nice offer by you.
I also received that free Wifi offer... and it was a bit of a dud.
It offered free Wifi for a flight to or from Europe for the one way duration of the flight.

In reality the code only gave me a specified 60 minutes... counted down to zero... and disconnected.
I wrote to them... and never heard back. Oh well.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 3:19 pm

On board FIN 846, I was able to connect to wifi while we were still at the gate in YYZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.