Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The I would I have flown Air Canada but . . .

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The I would I have flown Air Canada but . . .

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2023, 4:35 am

Programs: TK *G
I would have flown AC on YZF-YYC-YYZ last year in J on AP ticket, but decided to fly 5T YZF-YRT-YFB-YOW instead, because the at best mediocre J service couldn’t compete with the view of the North.

I would have flown AC on YYZ-YOW/YUL instead of taking VIA, but out of over a dozen trips last year, only two was on AC because I needed to get to destination early. Train in business class was simply more reliable, more comfortable, and cheaper. In at least 3 occasions, train was more or less on time whereas flights were cancelled because of snow or thunderstorm.

I would have flown AC on YYZ-East Asia flights, but decided flying various *A and non *A airlines instead. If I am paying over $5000, I didn’t want to buy a frustrating experience, even if that would add over 20 hours of travel time sometime.

On another note, maybe I should share why I ended up flying AC instead…
folkart likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 6:40 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
I would have flown air Canada from
BOS to TLV like I’ve done twice this year already and many times in the past, but >$3000 for PE with one or two stops and long layovers vs $1999 for PE nonstop with someone else is a no-brainer.

We’ve been floored at the pricing after such a long time choosing AC over the others.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 7:37 am

Programs: AC SE
I would have flown AC on a one day YVR turn but flair was $66 and has me on the ground at 9 AM - flying AC home on an FP though later that same day.
The alternative would have been and $800 RT - YYZ-YVR fares are high through this month with heavy loads.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 10:49 am

Programs: AC*100K MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by gcashin
I would have flown Air Canada on YYC-IAH, YYC-SFO, YYC-LAX, YYC-PSP, or YYC-LAS but.....they cancelled those routes (except some seasonal LAX/LAS) and handed them over to WS.
Same for me. Just flew WS on Thursday.. SFO-YYC—YXE. Oh… and AC has pretty much abandoned YXE (currently just 2 x YVR and 2 x YYZ per day)
Old Mar 18, 2023, 2:15 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
I did fly AC in preference to the disaster area that is BA. The route was an AC premier route: LHR-YVR and back. Flights ran to time, biz was comfortable, and they didn't lose our bags (I chose a non-stop routing to avoid another disaster area: YYZ). None of that would have been true with BA.
mendy7511 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 3:32 pm

Programs: Accor, Hilton, Marriott, Radisson Gold; Aeroplan 35K
It wasn't really AC's fault per se, but here we go...

I would have flown to YYC from YHZ via AC. But since I had a WS travel bank that was to expire this August, and a rather cheap W fare was available (I bought it during the 27-year anniversary discount promotion period), I bit that one instead.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 1:01 am

I would have flown AC, but it's largest domestic competitor had one ways to Europe in J for $1250 and PY for 1/2 that.

I would have flown AC a couple more times across the ocean, but the online schedule change option allowed me to fly on the 747.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 6:23 am

Programs: AC E75K
I would have flown AC, but it's now regularly charging 1.5x - 2x more than the competition, including codeshare partners.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:54 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by Aphrican
*A and AC code sharing are a bit of a joke.

I am flying YYJ - YVR - IST - KGL - IST - YVR - YYJ in June on J revenue flights. AC wanted to force me through YYZ as an extra stop which is a non-starter for me. TK couldn't give me code share connections on AC metal for YYJ - YVR and YVR - YYJ that made sense. I ended up buying TK tickets for the long legs from and to Vancouver and AC tickets for the short legs from and to Victoria.

We are going to AKL in 2024. It looks like AC will force me to go YYJ - YVR - SFO - AKL rather than YYJ - YVR - AKL. The extra stop in SFO is a non-starter for me too.
If you are trying to do this via ac.com yes you are wasting your time.....I do a ton of TK flights out of YUL and YYZ and the AC metal flights are easy to add to published fares on TK
Old Mar 19, 2023, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC 75K
I would have flown AC Mainline, but they don't fly here anymore. They have abandoned YXE to Rouge and WS and then they have the temerity to ask me in a survey why I chose to fly Rouge.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 2:32 pm

Programs: AC SE : Bonvoy Ambassador Elite : 47 Park Street Fractional Owner
Originally Posted by ABG
If you are trying to do this via ac.com yes you are wasting your time.....I do a ton of TK flights out of YUL and YYZ and the AC metal flights are easy to add to published fares on TK
Even more frustrating, I was looking at YYJ - SGN - HKG - YYJ. The website tells me that there are no flights available yet I am able to book YVR - SGN - HKG - YVR and YYJ - YVR - YYJ as two separate tickets with adequate connection times in YVR.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 3:14 pm

Programs: AC MM, SE100K
I would have flown Air Canada YYZ-MEL, but there was a pandemic on and AC had abandoned the route. But Emirates and Qatar Airways had not, and were flying from Canada to Australia via the Middle East. I thereby learned just how poorly J on AC compares to these other airlines.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 3:29 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I would have flown Air Canada to LHR in June, but a return PY ticket ex-YYZ was over $3,200 ... vs the $1,900 I paid for the exact same thing on BA. I've enjoyed their A350 in PY before, it's pretty nice, certainly comparable to AC's Dreamliner product and with perhaps better food.

This is why I never make SE ... I am loyal, but I'm not blind.
Argonaut1000, arf04 and allbrosca like this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I would've flown AC for my upcoming YEG-YYJ escape however there was one connection each direction and the AC Basic fare was 2.5 times the basic fare for nonstop flights on Canada's other airline.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 6:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE
I would have flown AC to various Europe, Asian destinations in 2023 but it seems the going r/t price for J is now around $7000-8000, and 4-5x the price of economy (didn't it used to be about 3x?), and trying to use points they're charging 2-3x higher than the 'top end' of the mileage range for that segment.

Really too bad as I have SE this year and just find no incentive to fly with Air Canada at these prices.
Argonaut1000 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.