Wiki Posts
Search

Question: AC Premium Economy vs LH

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2023, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: no status
AC Premium Economy vs LH

I am planning a trip to STR, likely in PE, and see that YYZ - FRA seems to be on LH metal.
l and wonder if LH Premium Economy is as nice as AC?
Old Mar 6, 2023, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Merlin666
I am planning a trip to STR, likely in PE, and see that YYZ - FRA seems to be on LH metal.
IMO they’re pretty close. Both are better than OS’s version.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
Yes - but does LH have a curtain between PE and Econony, and is the food (relatively edible)??
Old Mar 7, 2023, 2:05 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Is it actually LH metal? LH switched all flights to Canada to EW Discovery (4Y) for the winter schedule and will only revert back to proper LH metal in the spring; I am not sure about the date. If it is indeed 4Y I would stay away from them. The hard product is pretty similar for all I know (I have only been in their C cabin) but they are super unreliable with regular cancellations, flight delays etc.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by totti
.... revert back to proper LH metal in the spring; I am not sure about the date. .....
March 26....for YVR.
I'll be on the initial Westbound flight.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by totti
Is it actually LH metal? LH switched all flights to Canada to EW Discovery (4Y) for the winter schedule and will only revert back to proper LH metal in the spring; I am not sure about the date. If it is indeed 4Y I would stay away from them. The hard product is pretty similar for all I know (I have only been in their C cabin) but they are super unreliable with regular cancellations, flight delays etc.
Some of their flights are on Finnair 350s where PE is actually a low flat J seat (with PE service) which is a pretty good deal... But check because it was only a few flights and they changed which flights over time
Old Mar 7, 2023, 7:04 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tracon
March 26....for YVR.
I'll be on the initial Westbound flight.
It's also March 26 for YYZ.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: no status
I am looking for looking at October for the YYZ to STR segment.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by zkzkz
Some of their flights are on Finnair 350s where PE is actually a low flat J seat (with PE service) which is a pretty good deal... But check because it was only a few flights and they changed which flights over time
I believe the Finnair 350s are done for Canada routes, but I would be happy to be proven wrong. It was a good way to get a lie flat for a decent price last summer!

As for which is better between mainline LH and AC? I have not flown AC PE since pre-pandemic but my biggest beef with it was that they took away the curtain and PE became an alley for people from econ wanting to use the bathrooms. I didn't find there to be much of a difference otherwise between LH and AC regarding PE but for that reason alone I would pick LH if it was an option.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 9:32 am

Programs: AC*A
Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
Yes - but does LH have a curtain between PE and Econony, and is the food (relatively edible)??
LH is actually worse in this respect on most aircraft. They employ a half, flexible barrier instead of an actual bulkhead on AC: https://images.app.goo.gl/QDWQS7UUJ4AKjELA7
Old Mar 7, 2023, 10:23 am

Programs: AC SE
In terms of bathrooms, it depends on the aircraft. The three-cabin 777s do not have a dedicated lav ahead of PE so you need to head back into economy. On the two-cabin 777, 787, and newer 330 there is a lav between PE and J. It does get some traffic from economy, but not a ton so it's fairly lightly used.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 10:46 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
AC PE is nothing to write about. You will get an AC Y experience in an AC domestic J seat. They will not offer more refills of anything or do anything more than they would in Y. You will get a Y meal on silverware. LH they at least smile and are happy to refill and often they will offer refills on slow flights. You can also self-upgrade on LH into PE from Y if the seating/layout looks good and they'll bring the card machine. I paid 300 euro for Joburg to FRA in an empty PE when I was in a full Y middle. The skymom announced the upgrade offer over the PA during boarding.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 11:11 am

The worst thing about PE on any LH-group airline is that they charge for seat assignments, and it can add up quickly when there is more than one person. Not having a dedicated lav is also a major drawback, but that depends on the plane. As for the actual seats, I have flown PE on nearly a dozen airlines and they all seemed about the same to me. Much better than standard Y, but still nearly impossible to sleep in, at least not without overindulging in the lounge first.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 11:44 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by downinit
The worst thing about PE on any LH-group airline is that they charge for seat assignments, and it can add up quickly when there is more than one person. Not having a dedicated lav is also a major drawback, but that depends on the plane. As for the actual seats, I have flown PE on nearly a dozen airlines and they all seemed about the same to me. Much better than standard Y, but still nearly impossible to sleep in, at least not without overindulging in the lounge first.
They don't if you have *G - I've been able to preselect my seats in PE on LH without issue.

I find LH PE, UA PE and AC PE to be pretty interchangeable.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa
Originally Posted by Merlin666
Last Summer/Fall we did a couple of TATL's with AC and LH. Outbound YVR-FRA on LH was on an ancient, noisy 744 but what stood out most was how poor the catering was and with no glassware for drinks and paper cups for coffee/tea. We were disappointed enough to upgrade to J on the return. Fast forward to the Fall and we did a similar TATL on AC in PE and the food was surprisingly good and whilst the aircraft was a noisy 777 we commented that for the first time the AC experience was streets ahead of LH in every way. That said we upgraded on checkin to J on the return. I found the AC cabin to be more comfortable with seating similar but "ambiance" on AC warmer and quieter.
For me the bottom line is that LH PE product has slipped significantly since pre-pandemic and I will not return until I hear they have improved.
Marks: AC 7.5/10 vs LH 5/10. Just my 10 cents worth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.