Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
Meal pre-orders can be done 30 days to 72 hours before departure for flights departing from the major hubs to most(?) intercontinental destinations.
Print Wikipost

AC introducing meal pre-ordering

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2023, 3:01 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by The Lev
Not a bad idea... or maybe they could offer an alternative bonus appetizer choice to satisfy both the smoked salmon lovers and haters.
What is this insanity?!?!? An appetizer that's sometimes not seafood?!? What is this, Every Other Airline In The World??? And choice in appetizers? Come on, do you think this is WestJet? Or Air France? Or Lufthansa? Or BA? Or KLM? Or... I don't know, most airlines I've flown long-haul other than the US3? This is Air Canada, where your starter is a cold pate of seafood, because our customers value consistency!

Originally Posted by canadiancow
They've said their goal is to eventually allow you to pre-order anything catered from that station. Asia/Europe/India tend to have one or two route-specific options. So I'd expect it to go from "the same four as on board" to "the same four as on board, plus the India option, plus the Japan option" on Europe routes.
Yes, I know what the long-term goal is. My point was just that they could walk before they run [or pick whatever similar cliché you want] rather than waiting to have a much larger number of choices. The DL extra dish was also something that was specific to that route. Now, it's an outstation, so DL isn't also catering flights to India or Tokyo from there, and maybe you'd argue having the full range of options available from, say, YYZ, is better than having just one extra choice. But if it's just "anything catered from that station", then there's no additional choices on routes back to Canada, just whatever you could have gotten on board. And even if YYC-FRA comes back, YYC will have nothing to choose from but whatever the TATL meals are, and if stations like YOW and YHZ get Signature TATLs on 321XLRs, it will be the same there.

If AC does it like that, it's strictly worse for SEs. But I don't think they'll do it like that, because it's completely stupid.
Yes, that sounds like United has just completely botched it. And they weren't one of the airlines I was thinking of earlier
D582, RatherBeInYOW and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 9:29 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I'm curious how many people actually take advantage of pre-ordering, even with airlines where it is long established. Some people won't know about it. Some won't care. Some will forget. Some will run in to IT issues. Last-minute bookings, SDCs, IRROPs, etc.
I wonder what would happen if say 20 people decided to book refundable J on a 788, all order the beef, and then all cancel a few hours before departure, letting some upgrades clear. Will they be offered a choice of beef, beef, or beef?
Seat14K and billdokes like this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by liquidpop
I got mine on Aug 31 for a paid J flight sept 29 YYZ->FRA, about 30 days out.

Was planning on checking out the signature suite lounge (first paid J vs. eup) so not sure how much of this I'll eat but glad for options nonetheless.

beef Short rib, green curry chicken, cod loin, risotto. Feel like J meal reviews have been a bit mixed for what is good and not - probably going to get the short rib.
Flying to MUC on the same day as you. Got the same choices and they all look good on paper, but knowing AC, might be better to just stuff myself in the SS and sleep through meal service.
canadiancow, SPG_Fan and liquidpop like this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by zzzzzz01
Flying to MUC on the same day as you. Got the same choices and they all look good on paper, but knowing AC, might be better to just stuff myself in the SS and sleep through meal service.
Stuff yourself in the Signature Suite, go to sleep then have one of these for breakfast.
blue2002 and liquidpop like this.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K; AC 50K; Marriott Titanium
Just had a flight YYZ-BCN where is preordered the risotto. As the FA was going down the aisle to take the orders, she thanks me for preordering. I ask her to confirm that it is the risotto and she appears puzzled.

She went back to the galley and came back to tell me that the preorder sheet had it as a vegetarian meal but they didn’t load that special meal. I then told her that the risotto was the vegetarian meal on that flight... But then she tells me, sorry, we only had 4 risotto and they were all assigned already and there was nothing she could do.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 4:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Got the email inviting me to pre-order but I can't find where to do this in the app or on the website. Where exactly should I be looking?

The invite email is rather unhelpful with no guidance at all on how to pre-order, not even an instruction on whether I should try the web site, app, phone or just go down to the airport.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 5:01 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Seat14K
Got the email inviting me to pre-order but I can't find where to do this in the app or on the website. Where exactly should I be looking?

The invite email is rather unhelpful with no guidance at all on how to pre-order, not even an instruction on whether I should try the web site, app, phone or just go down to the airport.
There should be a gigantic button midway in your email:

Seat14K likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 5:05 pm

Website under "My Bookings", select the booking and it should show as a button similar to change seats; on the APP I believe once you select a booking under Trips, if you scroll down it will be there (I'm on Android). It does seem hidden (not intuitave) on the app.

Just curious- how many days in advance of your flight did you receive this?
Seat14K likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
There should be a gigantic button midway in your email:
That button is most definitely missing from my email.

Originally Posted by Wigg
Website under "My Bookings", select the booking and it should show as a button similar to change seats; on the APP I believe once you select a booking under Trips, if you scroll down it will be there (I'm on Android). It does seem hidden (not intuitave) on the app.

Just curious- how many days in advance of your flight did you receive this?
Missing in both those places. Email Received 15 days before departure.

AC IT Strikes again.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Nov 1, 2023 at 6:53 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Nov 1, 2023, 5:57 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by kiloohm
Just had a flight YYZ-BCN where is preordered the risotto.....sorry, we only had 4 risotto and they were all assigned already and there was nothing she could do.
Most of the scenarios upthread had to do with IROPs and last minute changes. It seems nobody predicted IT would goof up meal names.

//though many crews might reconcile SPML orders first and try to give vegeterians a workable option before they ran out...
​​​
​​

Last edited by expert7700; Nov 1, 2023 at 6:39 pm
Old Nov 1, 2023, 9:23 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
That button is most definitely missing from my email.

Missing in both those places. Email Received 15 days before departure.

AC IT Strikes again.
Wild.

You're not using some aggressive anti-tracker software are you? I've had that trip me up on AC stuff before and had to acquiesce to let them load up 20+ trackers.
Seat14K likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Wild.

You're not using some aggressive anti-tracker software are you?
Nope, tried in it multiple browsers on multiple browsers and multiple email clients on multiple PCs plus the AC app on my iphone.

There is something weird about the booking though, when I am logged in, view my booking and click the bid upgrade button it says "Welcome to Bid Upgrade Ms. Seat 14H" which is my wife who is on the same PNR, but definitely not logged in to the AC Website. It clearly shows me as logged in on the main AC page.

My last change to this booking several months ago, when I was taking advantage of a small schedule change to make a free change, took the agent quite a bit of stuggling. I wonder if some thing is messed up under the covers. It looks OK on the cowtool PNR viewer.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 8:46 am

Programs: AC
Is it possible to pre-order meals when booked as a codeshare flight? I have an upcoming AC-operated but LH-coded flight, and don't see any option to pre-order in "My Booking".
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vroom
Is it possible to pre-order meals when booked as a codeshare flight? I have an upcoming AC-operated but LH-coded flight, and don't see any option to pre-order in "My Booking".
When is the flight? I don't know the rules on this (okay I looked it up - 30 days to 72 hours before departure), but I do have the option for a Nov 19 flight, but not a Dec 7 flight (yet), but neither are codeshares.

I'm also going to make a very basic wiki.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
When is the flight? I don't know the rules on this (okay I looked it up - 30 days to 72 hours before departure), but I do have the option for a Nov 19 flight, but not a Dec 7 flight (yet), but neither are codeshares.

I'm also going to make a very basic wiki.
And to my knowledge this is only available on flights departing Canada. I have not been given the option for any flights departing Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.