Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
Meal pre-orders can be done 30 days to 72 hours before departure for flights departing from the major hubs to most(?) intercontinental destinations.
Print Wikipost

AC introducing meal pre-ordering

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2023, 6:23 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
This would be great if there were off-menu items as they do in other airlines. on AC this would be a good way to avoid stuff like that awful fish curry from a couple yrs ago.
Stranger, blue2002 and canopus27 like this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 12:02 pm

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
Did I miss something that everybody else knows about? I did search (honest guv') but I did not find this specific item.

While checking our lengthy list of future reservations, I discovered a link that I have never seen previously inviting pre-order of main courses on international J. I followed it through and apparently I have successfully (for some value thereof) reserved a specific main course for Ms SWMBO Stanbury on her forthcoming AMS flight. I am used to doing this on my AF flights, and am glad to see it offered on AC.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stanbury
Did I miss something that everybody else knows about? I did search (honest guv') but I did not find this specific item.

While checking our lengthy list of future reservations, I discovered a link that I have never seen previously inviting pre-order of main courses on international J. I followed it through and apparently I have successfully (for some value thereof) reserved a specific main course for Ms SWMBO Stanbury on her forthcoming AMS flight. I am used to doing this on my AF flights, and am glad to see it offered on AC.
I recall reading that they trialed it on some BOG (?) flights, earlier this year. I have not seen anything saying that it was rolling out for TATLs.

Edit: But yes, I see the same option available for an YYZ-LHR flight I'm taking later this month. Sweet.

From the pre-order page:

How meal pre-ordering works:

• We’ll only show you the flights in your itinerary where meal pre-ordering is available.
  • Meal pre-ordering opens 30 days before your flight and closes 72 hours before departure.
  • If you don’t want to pre-order a meal, you can let us know what you’d like to eat during your flight.
  • If you’ve pre-selected your meal and change your mind on board, we’ll be happy to offer other options, pending availability.
  • Meal availability is subject to change. If your flight plans or our menus change, you’ll be able to select a meal from the available onboard options. We’ll do our best to serve your preference, but we can’t guarantee your choice.
More updates: There are four main courses offered - and they are identical to the four main courses which are listed in the menu for the flight. In other words, there are no additional selections available, this is only about offering pre-selection from among the existing options. In other words, this does essentially nothing for me, because as an SEMM I'm always asked first, and I always get my first choice. However, for those without status, this might be a good deal.
Bohemian1 likes this.

Last edited by canopus27; Jun 2, 2023 at 1:37 pm Reason: Update
Old Jun 2, 2023, 1:40 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Stanbury
Moderator note: moved to meal pre-ordering thread.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by canopus27
More updates: There are four main courses offered - and they are identical to the four main courses which are listed in the menu for the flight. In other words, there are no additional selections available, this is only about offering pre-selection from among the existing options.
That's set to change, with AC moving towards an SQ-style 'Book The Cook' program where you'll be able to order from a much wider range of dishes which are not on your flight's menu.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 4:20 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by djsflynn
That's set to change, with AC moving towards an SQ-style 'Book The Cook' program where you'll be able to order from a much wider range of dishes which are not on your flight's menu.
Looking forward to that
Old Jun 5, 2023, 7:38 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by djsflynn
It's nice that AC is catching up. We booked Air Transat Club Class for this summer. They already have online food orders.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 8:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan
If this would allow me to have more than one choice for special meals, that would be amazing. All I want is a way to be gluten free and vegetarian lol
Old Jun 5, 2023, 1:41 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Any news on how this is being rolled out to other routes? I think they said by end of calendar year for all international routes leaving Canada but any more specific details?
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:06 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
While similar services has worked well on other airlines, I doubt how AC will manage with such abysmal on time records. If someone misses their connection, what are the chances that their preordered meals would also make it? (Meals only have so much time before they expire)
Old Jun 5, 2023, 7:39 pm
awt

Originally Posted by canopus27
I recall reading that they trialed it on some BOG (?) flights, earlier this year. I have not seen anything saying that it was rolling out for TATLs.

Edit: But yes, I see the same option available for an YYZ-LHR flight I'm taking later this month. Sweet.

From the pre-order page:

More updates: There are four main courses offered - and they are identical to the four main courses which are listed in the menu for the flight. In other words, there are no additional selections available, this is only about offering pre-selection from among the existing options. In other words, this does essentially nothing for me, because as an SEMM I'm always asked first, and I always get my first choice. However, for those without status, this might be a good deal.

Yes, I got the option to pre-order my meal few weeks ago on a flight to BOG but things still need to be ironed out. I think communication needs to be improved when plane changes are occuring within a week to a few days because they mixed up my order with another passenger since my seat got reassigned last minute. A good step forward/in the right direction for AC. Can't wait till the day we get to "book the cook".
Old Jun 6, 2023, 12:22 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Have a PY flight to MUC next week. Just got an email for meal pre-ordering.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 11:00 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Yeah, ditto for me for an FRA flight, although I'll be dining at the Signature Suite before and won't likely partake in food onboard.

At least for me, the email was sent out at T-7 days.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 11:15 am

I got an email for DUB at T-15
Old Jul 6, 2023, 11:27 am

I got a email saying that I will be able to have more choices on my flight toward the end of the year, Signature class YUL-LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.