Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
Meal pre-orders can be done 30 days to 72 hours before departure for flights departing from the major hubs to most(?) intercontinental destinations.
Print Wikipost

AC introducing meal pre-ordering

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2023, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
I've never quite understood the concept of knowing what I might like to eat 3 weeks before the fact.
Like others, I know what I don't want. Omelette, vegetarian and anything with to much cream sauce.

Originally Posted by D582
.... Business Class ...... $17.95 for each....
Originally Posted by newfbc
They should add an option to select NO meal.. for say, 1000 points or so.

Ron.
Per the previous quote, how about 2000 points for no meal. Maybe 5000 points for now service whatsoever.
Western Canada-YYZ redeye, I'm talking about you.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
SPMLs are tagged with a specific passenger name. The same thing could happen here, but I suspect they'll just adjust catering based on preorders. So you'd no longer be listed as having preordered.
If SPML could get a printed label from catering with "property of pax name" when they seal up the carts hours before the flight, if a concierge offloads then later moves you back, your meal would still be onboard.

When it comes to pre ordering a regular menu, I bet their cart tag will just say beef qty 9 (2 + 7 pre order). The cynic realist in me thinks as it gets introduced, many FAs will read this tag wrong on their clipboard, and allow 9 or 7 more J pax to order.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 3:51 pm

Programs: Accor, Hilton, Marriott, Radisson Gold; Aeroplan 35K
Frustrating that I cannot order anything for my YYZ–LHR leg. In fact, my flight doesn't even list the "meal" option whenever I go to my booking. I don't know what's going on anymore – hope it's just a stupid glitch.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Benner
AC could provide better food, but they don't feel the value is there for their business.
Why would anything but the status quo be expected from a flag carrier with such limited competition. Except for biometric face scanning digital ID at Pearson. That definitely got the green light.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 10:37 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Belmont_
Why would anything but the status quo be expected from a flag carrier with such limited competition. Except for biometric face scanning digital ID at Pearson. That definitely got the green light.
Because using automated gate saves $$$, while improving meal quality does the opposite, at least on paper.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 10:45 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Is "please try to sell my meal go the folks in the back and give me the $" an acceptable answer? consignment sale

AC just increased the price of Y cabin buying leftover J meals... and some are just not worth the $.
WoodlandCreature likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 11:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by expert7700
Is "please try to sell my meal go the folks in the back and give me the $" an acceptable answer? consignment sale

AC just increased the price of Y cabin buying leftover J meals... and some are just not worth the $.
Selling the omelette, chicken or pasta J meals at 17.95 do sound like highway robbery to me.

But now I can ask with confidence for FA to substitute my J meal with any item on the Bistro menu equal to or less than 17.95.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 12:03 pm

Programs: AC-75K Diamond CP
If I had a dollar for each time my special meal was not unloaded, I could fly private... LOL

On the other hand, Singapore Airlines Chef on Board is a great product.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Here are some more details.

Air Canada will offer Signature Class and Premium Economy customers the option to order meals in advance, with the first meals being served on board March 7.

The aim is to improve the customer experience by allowing customers to pre-select a main course option prior to their flight, while doing our best to serve them their selection and reduce food waste on board by improving the mix of meals loaded on aircraft.

During the beta test phase, meal pre-order is available on flights departing from Toronto (YYZ) to the following South American destinations:
  • Lima (LIM), flight AC88
  • Sao Paulo (GRU), flight AC90
  • Santiago (SCL), flight AC92
  • Bogotá (BOG), flight AC94
Launch is scheduled for April 2023 for flights from Montreal (YUL) to:
  • Lima (LIM), flight AC86
  • Sao Paulo (GRU), flight AC96
  • Bogotá (BOG), flight AC98
Eligible customers will receive an email invitation to pre-order their meals; if multiple flights/bounds are booked on the PNR, one email will be sent per bound.
So...

...doing our best to serve them their selection...
The more you promise, the higher my expectations are. I'm actually not the pickiest eater, but I have a friend who, on multiple occasions, has declined meals on board because whatever they had (or had left) was just of no interest to him.

If I pre-order the "chicken without olives", that means I'm expecting to eat and will not stop by a restaurant before getting on the flight. If you fail to deliver that, I'll be quite upset. One of my worst and most memorable experiences was a (~2 hour) delayed SFO-YYZ, where I was at the airport the whole time, and I was not told until after they closed the door that there was no meal for me, an SE in paid J. My very reasonable assumption was that as an SE in paid J, I'd absolutely get a meal if anyone got a meal. I had ample time to go to a restaurant, and would have if they had told me even an hour before actual departure.

If I get a receipt for my meal pre-order, and they fail to deliver it, I'm going to be just as irate.

...reduce food waste on board by improving the mix of meals loaded on aircraft.
I can read this two ways.

1. There's a lot of "I don't like the remaining options", so people decline a meal, and it gets thrown out. This would definitely be a positive change.
2. They're going to stop substantially overcatering (maybe cater 105% instead of 120%, or maybe do 120% of the people who haven't pre-ordered, instead of 120% of expected loads), which will harm everyone who doesn't pre-order.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 1:24 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
2. They're going to stop substantially overcatering (maybe cater 105% instead of 120%, or maybe do 120% of the people who haven't pre-ordered, instead of 120% of expected loads), which will harm everyone who doesn't pre-order.
There is no harm done if you don't pre-order. harm implies you had direct injury. no injury here.

Provided they've catered enough meals (regardless of the option), you paid for a meal for a meal in J, but not the 100% God given right to a specific meal because you're SE. Sure it's a perk that you get a preference ahead of others, but that's all... a preference based on what's available. if the choice is more limited because many exercised their right to pre-order, so be it.

If the cost savings with less food waste means that AC becomes closer to break even and more solvent again, great.

On the bright side ---- you're getting a meal in J on AC. You're lucky they're not putting you on a bus like WS, or not even catering their premium meals properly with any consistency.

I applaud this move by AC provided it's executed right.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 4:05 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
I can read this two ways.

1. There's a lot of "I don't like the remaining options", so people decline a meal, and it gets thrown out. This would definitely be a positive change.
Originally Posted by jazzsax
There is no harm done if you don't pre-order. harm implies you had direct injury. no injury here.

Provided they've catered enough meals (regardless of the option), you paid for a meal for a meal in J, but not the 100% God given right to a specific meal because you're SE. Sure it's a perk that you get a preference ahead of others, but that's all... a preference based on what's available. if the choice is more limited because many exercised their right to pre-order, so be it.
If I were to re-word the cow's second statement to be:
2. They're going to stop substantially over catering (maybe cater 105% instead of 120%, or maybe do 120% of the people who haven't pre-ordered, instead of 120% of expected loads), which is likely to diminish the experience of most SE's who do not pre-order.
... then I think we can agree that will likely be true.

Are AC allowed to make a change which doesn't excite the SE's? Of course they are. But let's be clear; as currently understood, this trial is almost exclusively going to benefit the non-SE's, and quite potentially diminish the experience of the SE's.

Which is why you're not seeing the SE's all jump for joy about this change.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 4:22 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canopus27
But let's be clear; as currently understood, this trial is almost exclusively going to benefit the non-SE's, and quite potentially diminish the experience of the SE's.
So what's the solution? A status-based ordering window like we have for e-ups?
Old Mar 9, 2023, 4:43 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
So what's the solution? A status-based ordering window like we have for e-ups?
I'm not sure there is an easy solution.

I do understand the benefits to non-SEs, of pre-booking a meal choice. The problem is that right now, last minute J class seats (either last minute bookings, or last minute J upgrades) still confer a reliable meal selection to SEs. The risk is that this new "feature" is actually going to diminish that benefit for SEs. If I book my J seat at the last minute .... or if my upgrade does not clear before the gate .... right now, I still have a meal priority choice. In the future, especially if multiple SEs only clear at the gate ... then our meal options may be far more limited.

A status-based ordering window won't help with that.
expert7700 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 4:58 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Well, I've had e-ups clear at the gate and been told that there's no meal for me. Admittedly, only a couple of times and I did get some snacks from the back, but it has happened.

But your point is well taken, especially in those situations where the J (or PY) cabin is not fully booked.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 6:09 pm
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
I like the idea but I’m a pretty small sample size I imagine.

I’m a vegetarian that doesn’t really like the special meal options, current SE but will likely be a 75k/50k in future years.

So, I love the idea of pre ordering the vegetarian meal choice. At the same time I don’t expect it. I like that Air Canada mostly always has a veg option. If it runs out in a premium cabin however I have no problem with asking for a pasta “from the back”.

and yes, I could always order a special meal but frankly I find airlines idea of a vegetarian to be someone health conscious and I’m not. I just want a carb heavy and cheesy meal without meat. I have had some luck with Asian Vegetarian special meals but have lately stopped bothering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.