Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
Meal pre-orders can be done 30 days to 72 hours before departure for flights departing from the major hubs to most(?) intercontinental destinations.
Print Wikipost

AC introducing meal pre-ordering

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2023, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
AC should do a better job promoting (and telling their FAs) about the backs ability to get the hot meal leftovers for cash to reduce their waste; presumably most of the stuff in the back has a shelf life longer than a RT.
IIRC, it's in the card menu. That's what I (used to) usually order. Although it was a SD that brought it to my attention because I never really looked at the menu that closely before that.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 2:35 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by canadiancow
High-status (i.e. high-spend) individuals booking last minute (i.e. expensive) tickets can only be hurt by this. On the outbound of the current trip I'm on, I had to change the flights within 72 hours of departure. That would eliminate my ability to pre-order. From what I know of most of my high-status high-fare friends, this is pretty common.

That's not even figuring in scenarios like:
"Hi Mr. Kennedy, this is the Toronto concierge. We noticed your inbound is delayed, so we've rebooked your connection to the next flight."
"No thanks, I can make it. Please put me back."
"Oh okay."

And there goes my meal selection.
You can't please everyone. Remember --- there were likely tons of SEs before who don't spend high that gamed the system (and still do) which is why you have revenue requirements for SE.

I'm pretty sure the bigger concern with booking last minute isn't what food you're getting, it's that you have a seat. Do you really think 75% of pax will pre-book their food? This is obviously a trial to get datapoints and see how well this works and whether to look at rolling it out to other flights.

As a non-SE that books Rev J, I'm all for this. My full fare J is not worth less than your full fare J flight. Revenue is revenue no matter how you look at it. Knowing I'm more likely to get my choice in advance I will book in advance which ultimately helps the airline plan.

I'd like to see the datapoints on how much of last minute flights now are from SE's vs everyone else. With higher loads and all of the flight issues I'm hearing enough stories about non-SE's paying full fare to get where they need to go so I doubt that it's just high status folks paying for last minute.
boomerfss likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 2:37 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
AC should do a better job promoting (and telling their FAs) about the backs ability to get the hot meal leftovers for cash to reduce their waste; presumably most of the stuff in the back has a shelf life longer than a RT.
I've never had an issue with this other than being told they sold out.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 2:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Last I had heard, this has not come back yet since Covid. It hasn't been listed in the recent AC Cafe menus either.
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 3:48 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by expert7700
Last I had heard, this has not come back yet since Covid. It hasn't been listed in the recent AC Cafe menus either.
I had to fly Y yesterday and did not take a picture of the new bistro menu (does not match what’s currently online).

They very prominently advertise Business Class breakfast and Business Class dinners now. You can’t miss it. $17.95 for each.

They also have sliders now.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 4:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by jazzsax
You can't please everyone. Remember --- there were likely tons of SEs before who don't spend high that gamed the system (and still do) which is why you have revenue requirements for SE.

I'm pretty sure the bigger concern with booking last minute isn't what food you're getting, it's that you have a seat. Do you really think 75% of pax will pre-book their food? This is obviously a trial to get datapoints and see how well this works and whether to look at rolling it out to other flights.

As a non-SE that books Rev J, I'm all for this. My full fare J is not worth less than your full fare J flight. Revenue is revenue no matter how you look at it. Knowing I'm more likely to get my choice in advance I will book in advance which ultimately helps the airline plan.

I'd like to see the datapoints on how much of last minute flights now are from SE's vs everyone else. With higher loads and all of the flight issues I'm hearing enough stories about non-SE's paying full fare to get where they need to go so I doubt that it's just high status folks paying for last minute.
Ooooooops. I usually only book my flight two days out ... with my Lat FP for complimentary upgrade into J. Guess I will say good bye to beef and fish options.

But I agree a paid J pax (with or without status) should have higher priority over me although it is not how it works now. The only good thing left for me is probably the FA will usually accommodate my request for something from the Bistro menu if I really hate the chicken or pasta option.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 5:16 pm

Programs: Proud Aeroplan 0K member
Originally Posted by D582
I had to fly Y yesterday and did not take a picture of the new bistro menu (does not match what’s currently online).

They very prominently advertise Business Class breakfast and Business Class dinners now. You can’t miss it. $17.95 for each.

They also have sliders now.
$18??? They used to cost about $13 for breakfast and $15 for rest of day, if my memory serves me right. At those prices it was worth it for me, especially for breakfast. Now it's too expensive to justify, IMO
Old Mar 3, 2023, 6:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Maybe this is lead up to something similar to what SQ has where there are many more than the standard choices that could be ordered. However, with the terrible OTP, and especially the delays at Pearson and Trudeau, this could make for pretty comical catering should passengers misconnect. "I am sorry sir, but since your upgrade cleared based on another passenger misconnecting, all if have for you is X" (fill in the X with something weird).
Old Mar 3, 2023, 8:05 pm

That's not even figuring in scenarios like:
"Hi Mr. Kennedy, this is the Toronto concierge. We noticed your inbound is delayed, so we've rebooked your connection to the next flight."
"No thanks, I can make it. Please put me back."
"Oh okay."

And there goes my meal selection.
I get that in general more complex systems are more fragile so there are going to be more failure modes like this. However in this *particular* scenario you would be ok since your meal selection presumably have long since been boarded or prepared for boarding so whether your selection was lost or not the actual food would be available to choose. If you're not SE someone else might get it first but your odds of getting it could only have been improved by your having previously selected it.

What happens now in this scenario if you've chosen VGML or KSML etc?
Old Mar 4, 2023, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
SPMLs are tagged with a specific passenger name. The same thing could happen here, but I suspect they'll just adjust catering based on preorders. So you'd no longer be listed as having preordered.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 7:45 am

Fwiw BA just announced pre-ordering meals too. I wonder if some supplier just released a feature that was needed to enable it. Or I guess the timing is just a bit of a coincidence. They apparently had it prepandemic in J and PY but now they're bringing it back and also launching it in economy. AA had it in my last flight (in PY) but it was the same meals as on board and my experience was as mentioned above that I just didn't know what I wanted days in advance.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 12:34 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
Immediately pre-COVID, I think it was 120% of expected loads on all mainline flights.

But assuming they're still doing that, would it be 120% of expected loads, or preorders plus 120% or remaining expected loads?

I, for one, have never had great experiences with preordering on any airline other than SQ out of their only hub. UA, AS, NH, and maybe one or two others. Either the preorder options were, at best, the same as the onboard menu, and I therefore had to know what I was in the mood for days before departure, or I ran the risk of not getting what I want (in the moment) by not preordering.
Delta does a pretty good job, and they give you access to a couple more dishes if you pre-order which is nice. This would be really useful for non-Signature long-haul flights where your current onboard choices are boiled bland chicken with a creamy sauce or pasta with a creamy sauce.

At the end of the day this comes down to money. AC could provide better food, but they don't feel the value is there for their business.
Belmont_ likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 12:52 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
I've never quite understood the concept of knowing what I might like to eat 3 weeks before the fact.
Yes, but I do know what I do NOT want to eat 3 weeks before, and that is often 2 out of the 3 choices.

And, of course, one can enjoy drooling over SQ's BTC choices for weeks before the flights.
The Lev, Benner and canopus27 like this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
They should add an option to select NO meal.. for say, 1000 points or so.

Ron.
Stranger and The Lev like this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 2:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond , Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by jazzsax
I could care less if an SE gets their choice because they booked 2 days out. If I booked 6 months out Paid J ---- no reason the airline can't guarantee my selection ahead of someone who wants beef that booked last minute.

First world problems.
How about this one, I have 5 kids with me, Signature suites from OGG YYZ and none of the kids meals made it on board for the 10 hour flight. Nor did they have any pizza or whatnot from the back to bring up. AC offered a 200 travel voucher for this. Laughable.

I don’t trust them with custom food orders..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.