Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC 25K baggage allowance on codeshared flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Not sure how specific of a question this is, but I haven't run into this before so figured I'd see if anyone else might know ^^

I bought a cash ticket from United for a cross-border itinerary, where the first and longest leg is operated by Air Canada but marketed by United (UA flight number is listed on ticket). From what I can tell, CTA/DOT rules say the marketing carrier of my first leg would be the "selecting carrier", so would apply their own baggage policies (unless UA states otherwise).

However, when I go to manage my booking on the AC site, I see:
The baggage allowance displayed below applies when you check your bags with Air Canada, Air Canada Express (flights operated by Jazz) or Air Canada Rouge. Please make sure your Aeroplan Elite Status level is valid at check-in.
Followed by the standard allowance table of 2-3 bags included depending on status level.

I would definitely be checking in with Air Canada here since that's my first leg. With 25K status, can I hope to get 2 bags included here?
Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If you're checking in with AC, they're going to give you whatever your status entitles you to.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
If you're checking in with AC, they're going to give you whatever your status entitles you to.
Strangely, I didn't get the baggage allowance in a similar situation.

I booked a Canada->US Trip ticketed through United with my Aeroplan account with 25K status attached. Both flights had UA codeshare numbers but were operated by AC.

When I checked in earlier this month, I was charged $80 for two bags. I was told that UA's policies applied even though both flights were on AC metal since it was ticketed by UA with a 016 ticket number. I did not want to argue extensively about the fee at check in, though the check in agent verified the situation with another agent.

I did get priority boarding from my 25K status, and the flights appeared in my Aeroplan account.

Should I contact customer service to try to get a refund?
Old Jun 22, 2023, 4:33 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Did you check in online before? If you entered your Aeroplan number and selected 2 bags did it try to charge you?

By their logic, if you were United Silver then they would have given you a free bag. I don't see that happening either.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by yvr76
Did you check in online before? If you entered your Aeroplan number and selected 2 bags did it try to charge you?

By their logic, if you were United Silver then they would have given you a free bag. I don't see that happening either.
Yes. I checked in online through the Air Canada app. When I did so attempted to charge me $80 ($30+$50 for the two bags). So, I indicated that I was not checking in any bags and talked to the check in agent. I was charged that amount by the agent, and another nearby agent indicated that United policies applied and that they would not recognize my 25K status for the baggage allowance.

I've requested a refund of the baggage fees through the "Send us an email" feature on their website, pointing out that both flights were on AC metal and that I received Zone 2 boarding. I assume that they will be able to tell that the flight was marketed and ticketed (?) by United.

I wonder how long a response will take. The automated email response indicates that it could take up to 45 days.

Last edited by Lyrrad; Jun 22, 2023 at 5:22 pm
Old Jun 22, 2023, 7:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriot, Hilton, IHG, P25K
My experience is Star Alliance carriers and check in is, Silver status confers no baggage allowance other than fare class of ticket allows.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
*S gets nothing.

AC*S gets something on AC.
UA*S gets something on UA.

etc.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 9:11 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by leisurefly
My experience is Star Alliance carriers and check in is, Silver status confers no baggage allowance other than fare class of ticket allows.
You’re missing the point. 25K gets two bags on AC. Other *S on AC get nothing.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lyrrad
Yes. I checked in online through the Air Canada app. When I did so attempted to charge me $80 ($30+$50 for the two bags). So, I indicated that I was not checking in any bags and talked to the check in agent. I was charged that amount by the agent, and another nearby agent indicated that United policies applied and that they would not recognize my 25K status for the baggage allowance.

I've requested a refund of the baggage fees through the "Send us an email" feature on their website, pointing out that both flights were on AC metal and that I received Zone 2 boarding. I assume that they will be able to tell that the flight was marketed and ticketed (?) by United.

I wonder how long a response will take. The automated email response indicates that it could take up to 45 days.
OP here, FWIW in my case they recognized my 25K and gave me the 2 bags free. I think it was the same situation where mobile check-in tried to charge me so I asked at the AP check-in desk at YUL and they did it without any hassle or debate.
UA cash ticket, Economy (G), UA flight number operated by Air Canada.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 6:37 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by Jettyy
OP here, FWIW in my case they recognized my 25K and gave me the 2 bags free. I think it was the same situation where mobile check-in tried to charge me so I asked at the AP check-in desk at YUL and they did it without any hassle or debate.
UA cash ticket, Economy (G), UA flight number operated by Air Canada.
Yeah, this is the case with same UA issued ticket operated by AC. Bag fee will display and be charged by AC's check-in.

I didn't have one so didn't bother me, but the BP showed correct status and zone.

The good thing was basic economy ticket issued by UA is seen as standard on AC, so free seat selection and same day standby allowed (NYC/YYZ), and eventually credited to AC as standard ticket mileage with SQD compared with basic credit on AC.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 2:10 pm

Although I have not yet received an email response in just over two weeks since I sent the message, my credit card shows refund transactions that posted a week ago for the baggage fees paid. Looks like different forex rates for the charge and refund ate up just over 1% of the baggage fee paid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.