Incentive to travel this year?

Old Sep 22, 22, 10:02 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: YOW, LHR, SIN
Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G
Posts: 658
Incentive to travel this year?

Hi folks:

I re-qualified for S100K for 2023 via the credit card promo. I have 53K SQM and $11K SQD.
I have a few travels coming up before December 2022, and I am confused what the incentive is to travel? My understanding is that all I will get is SQM for 2022 which will reset to 0 on January 1, 2023, or I am to assume that any travel this year will carry over and count towards my 2024 re-qualification?

-Or- am I better off postponing all travels to 2023? Please help.
aircanada_loyal is offline  
Old Sep 23, 22, 12:40 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 39,929
The main incentive would be getting where you want to go.

I'm debating the incentive to buy paid tickets, and using points for trips I wouldn't normally, but I'm not changing my travel patterns.

Last edited by canadiancow; Sep 23, 22 at 11:41 am Reason: typo
canadiancow is offline  
Old Sep 23, 22, 5:57 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: AC S100K
Posts: 1,012
I have a few travels coming up before December 2022, and I am confused what the incentive is to travel? My understanding is that all I will get is SQM for 2022 which will reset to 0 on January 1, 2023, or I am to assume that any travel this year will carry over and count towards my 2024 re-qualification?
At this point, unless I've missed something, AC has not yet given any indication that anything from 2022 will carry over into 2023 (other than eUpgrades and SQM if you've got the right credit card). Some people around here have been lobbying for those who qualified for status—especially SE status—the old-fashioned way ($20k SQD) to get some kind of head-start on next year's qualifying, but so far nothing has been announced. So the main incentive for this year is getting where you want to (as canadiancow said) and possibly getting more eUpgrades, Priority Rewards, Aeroplan points, and threshold gifts. Which means that if you have travel late in 2022 that can be rolled into early 2023, it might make good sense to do so.

I think at this point there's not a lot of reason to believe anyone will be starting the new year with more than $0 SQD. However, there's good reason to believe there will be ways of earning SQD next year other than strictly through receiving 1 SQD per $1 spent.
rau90 likes this.

Last edited by TheCanuckian; Sep 23, 22 at 6:15 am
TheCanuckian is offline  
Old Sep 23, 22, 7:23 am
  #4  
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Posts: 14,223
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal View Post
-Or- am I better off postponing all travels to 2023?
On top of what the cow said, consider flying other airlines/alliances. I've flown a bunch of SkyTeam and have made at least DL PM, might even make it to DM before the end of the year. Or if you're stuck with Star, consider whether having some points at another program (e.g. UA) might be useful.

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian View Post
However, there's good reason to believe there will be ways of earning SQD next year other than strictly through receiving 1 SQD per $1 spent.
I disagree completely. Air travel is back to close to 2019 levels. AC has already massively bloated the ranks of elites with all their promos and extensions. Why on Earth would they let people earn SQD on the cheap next year?
canadiancow and c224488 like this.
Adam Smith is offline  
Old Sep 23, 22, 8:49 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: AC S100K
Posts: 1,012
I disagree completely. Air travel is back to close to 2019 levels. AC has already massively bloated the ranks of elites with all their promos and extensions. Why on Earth would they let people earn SQD on the cheap next year?
It's my guess--and I could be wrong--that they will continue to offer occasional incentives or bonuses--double SQD or some bonus related to credit card spending, etc. The pandemic has allowed them to try out some new ideas to see how they can manipulate our behavior through them. I'm guessing some will stick. But obviously it's all just speculation.
TheCanuckian is offline  
Old Sep 23, 22, 11:45 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 39,929
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian View Post
Some people around here have been lobbying for those who qualified for statusespecially SE statusthe old-fashioned way ($20k SQD) to get some kind of head-start on next year's qualifying
I wouldn't mind "getting something", but please not that. My hope is they STOP making it easier for people to earn status.

Though I think I've booked almost all of my travel for the rest of the year already, with the assumption that I can't get anything from AC.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
On top of what the cow said, consider flying other airlines/alliances. I've flown a bunch of SkyTeam and have made at least DL PM, might even make it to DM before the end of the year. Or if you're stuck with Star, consider whether having some points at another program (e.g. UA) might be useful.
Yeah, I usually wait until the end of the year to decide whether to credit my UA flights to AC or UA (gotta earn UA MM somehow), but this year I'm doing it all up-front.

I'm also planning to credit a large paid J *A trip to UA. It will cross me over the Silver threshold (though I may get it through Marriott anyway - TBD), and earn me some UA miles (which are still useful for SAUA).

Though that is a trip I might have booked on AC if I weren't (well) above the SE qualification thresholds. Or at least credited to AC if I weren't (well) above the 350k threshold gift.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Sep 23, 22, 2:48 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC*S100K ACMM / HH Diamond
Posts: 2,598
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian View Post
It's my guess--and I could be wrong--that they will continue to offer occasional incentives or bonuses--double SQD or some bonus related to credit card spending, etc. The pandemic has allowed them to try out some new ideas to see how they can manipulate our behavior through them. I'm guessing some will stick. But obviously it's all just speculation.
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I wouldn't mind "getting something", but please not that. My hope is they STOP making it easier for people to earn status.

Though I think I've booked almost all of my travel for the rest of the year already, with the assumption that I can't get anything from AC.
I firmly hope that they don't offer any more freebies (neither double SQD promos, nor stunts like the $30K spend for free status, etc). However, and perhaps selfishly, I do wish that they would provide an SQD rollover. They could make it a high bar ... perhaps only rolling over amounts in excess of $20K, no matter what status you have ... so it's not something that would aid the bottom feeders. It would, however, give those of us who do like a fly, some recognition & motivation for flights made at the end of the year. I would spend more with AC if they did.
Plumber likes this.
canopus27 is offline  
Old Sep 23, 22, 4:39 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
Posts: 795
Originally Posted by canopus27 View Post
I firmly hope that they don't offer any more freebies (neither double SQD promos, nor stunts like the $30K spend for free status, etc). However, and perhaps selfishly, I do wish that they would provide an SQD rollover. They could make it a high bar ... perhaps only rolling over amounts in excess of $20K, no matter what status you have ... so it's not something that would aid the bottom feeders. It would, however, give those of us who do like a fly, some recognition & motivation for flights made at the end of the year. I would spend more with AC if they did.
agree on this. Ill finish the year with over 200k and can roll over to next year because of my Amex but I still have 0 sqd. Ill probably finish the year just shy of $100k sqd so letting me start with 20k sqd (or anything) next year would be nice. While I know Ill have no issue hitting that number its still the piece of mind and the thought thats nice.
Captain Canuck likes this.
seegs is offline  
Old Sep 23, 22, 5:11 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 22,784
Originally Posted by seegs View Post
agree on this. Ill finish the year with over 200k and can roll over to next year because of my Amex but I still have 0 sqd. Ill probably finish the year just shy of $100k sqd so letting me start with 20k sqd (or anything) next year would be nice. While I know Ill have no issue hitting that number its still the piece of mind and the thought thats nice.
If reaching 250 k status miles, don't you get one year of banked SE status?
Stranger is offline  
Old Sep 23, 22, 5:49 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
Posts: 795
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
If reaching 250 k status miles, don't you get one year of banked SE status?
yes I believe so. You can use it first year you miss hitting it.
seegs is offline  
Old Sep 23, 22, 9:48 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 39,929
But what if you're already past 350k?

"What is the incentive?"
YYC3722 likes this.

Last edited by canadiancow; Sep 24, 22 at 11:20 am Reason: yet another typo
canadiancow is offline  
Old Sep 24, 22, 1:32 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC*SE 2MM, WS Gold
Posts: 15,323
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
but what if you're already last 350k?

"what is the incentive?"
mm, 2mm, 3mm...
The Lev is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread