FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Incentive to travel this year? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2095235-incentive-travel-year.html)

aircanada_loyal Sep 22, 2022 10:02 pm

Incentive to travel this year?

Hi folks:

I re-qualified for S100K for 2023 via the credit card promo. I have 53K SQM and $11K SQD.
I have a few travels coming up before December 2022, and I am confused what the incentive is to travel? My understanding is that all I will get is SQM for 2022 which will reset to 0 on January 1, 2023, or I am to assume that any travel this year will carry over and count towards my 2024 re-qualification?

-Or- am I better off postponing all travels to 2023? Please help.

canadiancow Sep 23, 2022 12:40 am

The main incentive would be getting where you want to go.

I'm debating the incentive to buy paid tickets, and using points for trips I wouldn't normally, but I'm not changing my travel patterns.

TheCanuckian Sep 23, 2022 5:57 am

I have a few travels coming up before December 2022, and I am confused what the incentive is to travel? My understanding is that all I will get is SQM for 2022 which will reset to 0 on January 1, 2023, or I am to assume that any travel this year will carry over and count towards my 2024 re-qualification?
At this point, unless I've missed something, AC has not yet given any indication that anything from 2022 will carry over into 2023 (other than eUpgrades and SQM if you've got the right credit card). Some people around here have been lobbying for those who qualified for status—especially SE status—the old-fashioned way ($20k SQD) to get some kind of head-start on next year's qualifying, but so far nothing has been announced. So the main incentive for this year is getting where you want to (as canadiancow said) and possibly getting more eUpgrades, Priority Rewards, Aeroplan points, and threshold gifts. Which means that if you have travel late in 2022 that can be rolled into early 2023, it might make good sense to do so.

I think at this point there's not a lot of reason to believe anyone will be starting the new year with more than $0 SQD. However, there's good reason to believe there will be ways of earning SQD next year other than strictly through receiving 1 SQD per $1 spent.

Adam Smith Sep 23, 2022 7:23 am

Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal (Post 34623225)
-Or- am I better off postponing all travels to 2023?

On top of what the cow said, consider flying other airlines/alliances. I've flown a bunch of SkyTeam and have made at least DL PM, might even make it to DM before the end of the year. Or if you're stuck with Star, consider whether having some points at another program (e.g. UA) might be useful.

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian (Post 34623796)
However, there's good reason to believe there will be ways of earning SQD next year other than strictly through receiving 1 SQD per $1 spent.

I disagree completely. Air travel is back to close to 2019 levels. AC has already massively bloated the ranks of elites with all their promos and extensions. Why on Earth would they let people earn SQD on the cheap next year?

TheCanuckian Sep 23, 2022 8:49 am

I disagree completely. Air travel is back to close to 2019 levels. AC has already massively bloated the ranks of elites with all their promos and extensions. Why on Earth would they let people earn SQD on the cheap next year?
It's my guess--and I could be wrong--that they will continue to offer occasional incentives or bonuses--double SQD or some bonus related to credit card spending, etc. The pandemic has allowed them to try out some new ideas to see how they can manipulate our behavior through them. I'm guessing some will stick. But obviously it's all just speculation.

canadiancow Sep 23, 2022 11:45 am

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian (Post 34623796)
Some people around here have been lobbying for those who qualified for status—especially SE status—the old-fashioned way ($20k SQD) to get some kind of head-start on next year's qualifying

I wouldn't mind "getting something", but please not that. My hope is they STOP making it easier for people to earn status.

Though I think I've booked almost all of my travel for the rest of the year already, with the assumption that I can't get anything from AC.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 34623998)
On top of what the cow said, consider flying other airlines/alliances. I've flown a bunch of SkyTeam and have made at least DL PM, might even make it to DM before the end of the year. Or if you're stuck with Star, consider whether having some points at another program (e.g. UA) might be useful.

Yeah, I usually wait until the end of the year to decide whether to credit my UA flights to AC or UA (gotta earn UA MM somehow), but this year I'm doing it all up-front.

I'm also planning to credit a large paid J *A trip to UA. It will cross me over the Silver threshold (though I may get it through Marriott anyway - TBD), and earn me some UA miles (which are still useful for SAUA).

Though that is a trip I might have booked on AC if I weren't (well) above the SE qualification thresholds. Or at least credited to AC if I weren't (well) above the 350k threshold gift.

canopus27 Sep 23, 2022 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian (Post 34624204)
It's my guess--and I could be wrong--that they will continue to offer occasional incentives or bonuses--double SQD or some bonus related to credit card spending, etc. The pandemic has allowed them to try out some new ideas to see how they can manipulate our behavior through them. I'm guessing some will stick. But obviously it's all just speculation.

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 34624758)
I wouldn't mind "getting something", but please not that. My hope is they STOP making it easier for people to earn status.

Though I think I've booked almost all of my travel for the rest of the year already, with the assumption that I can't get anything from AC.

I firmly hope that they don't offer any more freebies (neither double SQD promos, nor stunts like the $30K spend for free status, etc). However, and perhaps selfishly, I do wish that they would provide an SQD rollover. They could make it a high bar ... perhaps only rolling over amounts in excess of $20K, no matter what status you have ... so it's not something that would aid the bottom feeders. It would, however, give those of us who do like a fly, some recognition & motivation for flights made at the end of the year. I would spend more with AC if they did.

seegs Sep 23, 2022 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27 (Post 34625213)
I firmly hope that they don't offer any more freebies (neither double SQD promos, nor stunts like the $30K spend for free status, etc). However, and perhaps selfishly, I do wish that they would provide an SQD rollover. They could make it a high bar ... perhaps only rolling over amounts in excess of $20K, no matter what status you have ... so it's not something that would aid the bottom feeders. It would, however, give those of us who do like a fly, some recognition & motivation for flights made at the end of the year. I would spend more with AC if they did.

agree on this. I’ll finish the year with over 200k and can roll over to next year because of my Amex but I still have 0 sqd. I’ll probably finish the year just shy of $100k sqd so letting me start with 20k sqd (or anything) next year would be nice. While I know I’ll have no issue hitting that number it’s still the piece of mind and the thought that’s nice.

Stranger Sep 23, 2022 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by seegs (Post 34625422)
agree on this. I’ll finish the year with over 200k and can roll over to next year because of my Amex but I still have 0 sqd. I’ll probably finish the year just shy of $100k sqd so letting me start with 20k sqd (or anything) next year would be nice. While I know I’ll have no issue hitting that number it’s still the piece of mind and the thought that’s nice.

If reaching 250 k status miles, don't you get one year of banked SE status?

seegs Sep 23, 2022 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 34625475)
If reaching 250 k status miles, don't you get one year of banked SE status?

yes I believe so. You can use it first year you miss hitting it.

canadiancow Sep 23, 2022 9:48 pm

But what if you're already past 350k?

"What is the incentive?"

The Lev Sep 24, 2022 1:32 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 34625870)
but what if you're already last 350k?

"what is the incentive?"

mm, 2mm, 3mm...