Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC carry-on baggage enforcement (2022 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC carry-on baggage enforcement (2022 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
But why AC doesn't just add something to their pre-boarding script like DL, AA and others do about higher zones being SOL is beyond me. Just let people know that if they are in Zone 4 or higher that there will be no overhead space and go from there. Just add it to the suggested mix above.
And you thought people licing around and trying to board ahead of their zone was already an issue?
Genetk44 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:36 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canadiancow
And you thought people licing around and trying to board ahead of their zone was already an issue?
Yeah, well that's another issue.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:00 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
But why AC doesn't just add something to their pre-boarding script like DL, AA and others do about higher zones being SOL is beyond me. Just let people know that if they are in Zone 4 or higher that there will be no overhead space and go from there. Just add it to the suggested mix above.
They could certainly do this with e.g. the 320/321s where bin space is almost always an issue. And in fact this is sometimes done, but usually only with outstations in my experience - if you're a Swissport contractor at some US airport boarding Rouge 320/321s three or four times a day you realize pretty quickly that this is in your best interest in getting the flight out on time. I've seen agents at for example FLL or LAS actively announcing that anyone in Z4/Z5 needs to gate check their rollboard. But that seems to be local custom versus SOP.
totti, billdokes and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
1. Avoidance. Push the .... out of "free checked bag if it is legal carryon" during the check in flow. Get the bag tracking working consistently. Make people want to not bring their rollboard to the gate in the first place.
Checked In for a flight this morning. Saw the prompt for this only after the screen to select number of checked bags. I don't know if it would have shown if we had selected any bags but for the first time in a while we're flying carry-on only. Idk, if the ticket includes it in the fare, I expect to be able use it as is and not to be continually prompted to check it anyways before even getting to the plane. Coming back from Austria, I checked the carry-on at check in only to find when getting on the plane in zone 5 all of the bins were half empty. Guess they were very successful at getting people to check their carry-ons.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:01 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Your laptops and power banks etc are not supposed to be in checked luggage. Laptops are advised to be in carry on. Power banks cannot be carried in checked luggage. Then at the Gate they tell you that you have to put the carry on and then power bank into the hold of the aircraft.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Neither are medications, valuables, etc, yet they want the bags in the hold. Nonsensical..
Transpacificflyer and Davvidd like this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 10:13 am

With respect to this new “box” sizer — any experience with the Briggs & Riley? Does it fit?
Old Apr 7, 2024, 3:15 am

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
An enforcer at YYZ Nexus entrance this morning at 4am… i knew my Beis carry-on which is similar to Away Bigger Carry-on won’t fit and was just about to turn back. Then I remembered I am flying UA today: “sorry, I don’t fly Air Canada” 😂 seems i will avoid AC altogether when I go south for week long diving trips.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 8:55 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
GA in YHZ yesterday made stern announcement about limited carry on room and stated all bags will he put through sizer, check bag for free, etc.

then calls Zone 1 looks at me and says quietly, “don’t worry, we don’t check zone 1 passengers“ 😀
expert7700, Bohemian1 and Wigg like this.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 11:18 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Bartolo
With respect to this new “box” sizer — any experience with the Briggs & Riley? Does it fit?
Same question. If someone happens to spot a sizer hanging around a gate, I'd love them to test it.
Bogwoppit likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 1:03 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
At San Diego airport they are sizing every single bag
Old Apr 11, 2024, 3:47 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by vernonc
are they still giving the ok to J cabin passengers with slightly larger bags? I have had the senior contracted GA over-rule a less experienced colleague by saying "AC doesn't care about the J cabin bag size"
Old Apr 11, 2024, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc

Was this at the gate or check-in? Assuming if the bag didn’t fit it was tagged?
Old Apr 12, 2024, 9:22 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canolakid
are they still giving the ok to J cabin passengers with slightly larger bags? I have had the senior contracted GA over-rule a less experienced colleague by saying "AC doesn't care about the J cabin bag size"
No, I was in J with visible SE tags, No mercy. They made EVERYONE size their carryons. Mine fits so not worried but they did tag a whole lot of bags. Zero tolerance. All bags that passed got the white approved tag. Once the boarding began, they seem to be more focused on bio metric boarding. Lots of disgruntled passengers who had flown to SAN with their carryons with no issue and were now being forced to gate check.

Originally Posted by Bartolo
Was this at the gate or check-in? Assuming if the bag didn’t fit it was tagged?
At the gate. They had two sizers and asked everyone to see if their carryon fit with the ones that did not fit getting gate checked for free. They were the metal sizers so lots of pushing and shoving to get the bags in and tugging and yelling to get them out. The contracted gate staff were not too polite even with boarding with one passenger yelling at them to lighten up and use their manners. On the flip side we boarded on time, all the on board bags fit (321 aircraft) and then.........we left 30 mins or so late. Wild guess that they were late loading the many gate checked bags.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 10:16 am

Thanks for info. What about bags that had personal items that are supposed to go in carryon such as meds, lithium battery, computer, etc?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.