Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC carry-on baggage enforcement (2022 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2022, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

My brother-in-law and his wife flew today and all passengers had to place their carry-on in a metal bin before boarding the plane. Backpacks were excluded from this.

Equipment was a 737 Max, so not a puddle jumper with limited bin space.

Any thoughts why this happened?

Thanks
asovse1 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 5:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by spidey9999
My brother-in-law and his wife flew today and all passengers had to place their carry-on in a metal bin before boarding the plane. Backpacks were excluded from this.

Equipment was a 737 Max, so not a puddle jumper with limited bin space.

Any thoughts why this happened?

Thanks
How far back did they board?

(And the 737s had little bin space in the 60s, back when checked bags were free)
Old Aug 15, 2022, 6:37 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
The maximum carry on height is 21.5” including wheels.

On my 4 recent flights (July 31-Aug 8) lots of travellers had 22” carry on with the wheels being 1/2 inch too long. these brand new carry ons don’t fit under the seat without sticking out too far into the pax feet area. Creates a lot of problems during boarding.
totti likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Sometimes for zone 5 they do things like this. I haven't heard of it for weight and balance on a max 8. What were they told?
Old Aug 15, 2022, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RangerNS
How far back did they board?)
i don’t have their seat numbers, but knowing my brother-in-law and his wife their seats would have been close to the front.

The thing is, he said absolutely every pax had to put their carry-on in the bin, hence my question.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 7:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I was thinking more zone than physical location.

Ive got nothing if it was really "everyone"... Except I doubt that.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I just find it hard to believe a 7M8 could even run out of bin space if the GAs were doing any kind of reasonable job enforcing limits and the FAs were doing any kind of reasonable job ensuring bags are stored properly.

Maybe if it were 100% full and everyone had a full-size roller. But each bin (after row 2) can accommodate what.... 5 or 6 rollers?
respectable_man and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 7:36 pm

Nickle and dime inches off rollies when people bringing "personal items" duffles the size of an 35-50L. Ridic.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 7:47 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
When I last flew on the Max the gate agents were doing their usual pre boarding announcement, almost begging people to check their bags in and then she caught my attention...."especially if you are in ZONES 4,5 & 6" ... I like that, free checked bag for kettles, sweet.

On this flight I was a little entitled when the F/A asked who's bag (my go bag) was this, My go bag was snuggled along side my one only carry on, so I said mine. She asked or told me if i can place it under the seat Infront of me. I said sure, I can move my SE bag to allow for the Zone's 4/5/6 bag that may fly once in a while instead of me who is flying weekly. Sure I may have come across as one of those, but its a big plane, bags are place in every which way by those who never or hardly fly on the aircraft and the F/A are trying their best to manage, but they do fall behind. Tag them and place them in the hold when there are just too many bags near the end for boarding. Anyways, there seems to be a lot of creative and innovative new procedure to deal with the many bags passengers are bringing on.
YLWflyer likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 7:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Were the forced carry-ons treated like checked bags or like “sky check” (I think that’s the name) where they bring a cart or similar to the door of the plane at landing and you collect your bag?

Curious — I travel with necessary medical supplies in my carry-on. Was there discretion for that? Can’t be with out it.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: AC, SK, AY, Marriott, BW, Avis
Originally Posted by WR Cage
The maximum carry on height is 21.5” including wheels.

On my 4 recent flights (July 31-Aug 8) lots of travellers had 22” carry on with the wheels being 1/2 inch too long. these brand new carry ons don’t fit under the seat without sticking out too far into the pax feet area. Creates a lot of problems during boarding.
Roll-aboard suitcases typically go in the overhead bins not under the seats. They would stick out well in to the feet area at 21.5" or 22"
Old Aug 16, 2022, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
AC does sporadically strictly enforce their size regulations by making people put their bags into the sizers. Nothing particularly new there.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by RangerNS
(And the 737s had little bin space in the 60s, back when checked bags were free)
737Max is not like the old 737's - it has lots of bin space with bags slotted in upright.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
737Max is not like the old 737's - it has lots of bin space with bags slotted in upright.

This is my experience. There is tons of overhead space on the 737 Max. Hard to imagine no room aboard for bags.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: AC 75K
The thread title is confusing. We're they forced to hand over their carry ons or were they asked to put them into a sizer? If the former, were their bags over the size limit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.