Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC carry-on baggage enforcement (2022 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC carry-on baggage enforcement (2022 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2022, 4:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by YVR4Ever
Oh. Interesting. I guess I've been burned by LH a few too many times and assumed they all worked like that.
I was going to say that LH is the only airline I've had hit me with this. Many more times than once. I only travel with carryon and when I'm going for 2+ weeks to EU it's heavy. The first time they asked me to weigh it I was rather confused.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 5:10 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jazzsax
Again, go read earlier comments where there was discussion about bags being larger than the sizer and bins and causing issues.

if your bag isn't regulation, I don't care if you're an SE. You're simply an SE bending the rules and expecting grace because you're an SE.

Well give me grace then because I booked full fare economy and didn't use my e-upgrades or game the system....
I don't want to keep repeating myself, so I'll try to state this simply. GAs and FAs have limited time to scrutinize carry-ons. If I'm SE, it's highly likely that my carry-on baggage is not going to be the source of problems for anyone in securing space in the overhead bin. They should therefore focus their scarce time on picking out the obviously oversized bags, and if they have more time for items that are marginal, they should be looking first at the FOTSG crowd who are less likely to have any idea what the limits are in the first place, let alone be in compliance with them. SE3MMs shouldn't be allowed to take 26" bags on the plane, but FAs shouldn't be wasting their time on figuring out whether an SE's bag is 21" or 22".
Old Aug 27, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Pax with 4 x garmet bags, 3 x shopping bags, 1 x small duffle, and 1 x suitcase trying to pack it all on an A321.

Couldn't do it herself so pax carried a couple bags and now FAs are looking for bin space for the garmet bags.
Symmetre likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 12:32 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Pax with 4 x garmet bags, 3 x shopping bags, 1 x small duffle, and 1 x suitcase trying to pack it all on an A321.

Couldn't do it herself so pax carried a couple bags and now FAs are looking for bin space for the garmet bags.
I just don't understand why the Gate Agents wouldn't flag them during the BP scan and tell them that they have to check at least some of that. How egregious does this need to be?
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I just don't understand why the Gate Agents wouldn't flag them during the BP scan and tell them that they have to check at least some of that. How egregious does this need to be?
This. But obviously the SE with a bag 0.5” too long is a more immediate problem.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 3:17 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by ffsim
This. But obviously the SE with a bag 0.5” too long is a more immediate problem.
Exactly.

Maybe this is just a boomerang effect from all of the overly-publicized lost luggage horror stories.

But I know of a bunch of other carriers who would have made her check the duffle and suitcase.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Just yesterday I watched a GA at YVR try to stop someone boarding with too much carry on and the person just walked over to the other side of the desk and was boarded by the other GA who DGAF.

So maybe that's one reason why many don't even bother.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I heard that AC is going to start another round of carry-on enforcement. May not be true but likely.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
A usually reliable source?

With the current baggage chaos fewer checked bags might be helpful (not if carry-on is excessive
though). I just convinced a friend off to Europe in September for 10 days to do carry-on only. A real challenge for this friend who is traditionally a heavy packer but she’s is planning to.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bartolo
A usually reliable source?

With the current baggage chaos fewer checked bags might be helpful (not if carry-on is excessive
though). I just convinced a friend off to Europe in September for 10 days to do carry-on only. A real challenge for this friend who is traditionally a heavy packer but she’s is planning to.
AC senior gate agent at a friends party. I assume her comments was based on internal discussions or memo. I did not ask, the comment came based on my discussions about my travel plans and the state (improving) of YYZ airport and AC baggage handling and other delays. I think she said that AC feels carry on bags are again out of control, specially with size and number of pieces. As we all know, implementation can be spotty.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 11:06 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Less carry on will also help with CATSA delays, since bag screening is often the rate limiting factor at security checkpoints.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by vernonc
AC senior gate agent at a friends party. I assume her comments was based on internal discussions or memo. I did not ask, the comment came based on my discussions about my travel plans and the state (improving) of YYZ airport and AC baggage handling and other delays. I think she said that AC feels carry on bags are again out of control, specially with size and number of pieces. As we all know, implementation can be spotty.
I'm sure AC feels that carry-on bags are out of control as much as us passengers feel checked baggage is out of control. At the end of the day it's we who are travelling and just want to get places with something to wear and not be "harassed" about a half centimetre too wide a bag because we can't trust them to do basic travel things like handle baggage properly.
CorSter and IntermittentFlyer like this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 5:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by mathemagic
I'm sure AC feels that carry-on bags are out of control as much as us passengers feel checked baggage is out of control. At the end of the day it's we who are travelling and just want to get places with something to wear and not be "harassed" about a half centimetre too wide a bag because we can't trust them to do basic travel things like handle baggage properly.
I don’t think anyone will be harassed because their wheel couldn’t quite fit in the sizer. What will happen is they will approach the guy with 4 bags and tell him to check two of them or board last to make sure everyone else has space for their stuff.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 6:05 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by yyztozag
I don’t think anyone will be harassed because their wheel couldn’t quite fit in the sizer. What will happen is they will approach the guy with 4 bags and tell him to check two of them or board last to make sure everyone else has space for their stuff.
I literally saw that precise scenario play out 2 weeks ago; bag didn’t look obscenely oversize, but between the wheels and top handle, the passenger couldn’t quite jiggle it into the sizer. He had to gate check his bag.

I’m all for approaching the dude with 4 bags, but I worry that AC will cast too wide a net and “catch” those who might be outside the published dimensions but otherwise are not contributing at all to the carry-on problems that legitimately need solving.
CorSter, mathemagic and inkygirl like this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by yyztozag
This exact thing does, in fact, happen. I've seen it, and I've experienced it. If I put an extra book in my standard carry-on, it can *just* not fit, and despite my status and tags I've been targeted too. In that case I just remove the offending item, fit the bag, board, put the item back, and (surprise) it all fits perfectly well on the plane (even Q400s) just like it has for decades. AC could use its time in far better ways to solve real problems rather than irritate and waste the time of a loyal FF over a non-issue.
ffsim, Bohemian1 and bubbelbine like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.