Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC carry-on baggage enforcement (2022 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC carry-on baggage enforcement (2022 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
The thread title is confusing. We're they forced to hand over their carry ons or were they asked to put them into a sizer? If the former, were their bags over the size limit?
The former.

My brother-in-law and his wife travel extensively so are fully aware of size limits.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by commaspace
Nickle and dime inches off rollies when people bringing "personal items" duffles the size of an 35-50L. Ridic.
A duffel bag can be shoved under the seat, even when it's oversized. But a rollie bag will need to go sideways in the overhead compartment, taking up the space of 2-3 bags, when it's wheels or handle jut out 1/2" too far.
The Lev and Aliquot like this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
AC does sporadically strictly enforce their size regulations by making people put their bags into the sizers. Nothing particularly new there.
Went through YYZ T1 dom security last week. There were a couple of agents stationed at the entry to the security line, eyeing what people were taking through.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by The Lev
737Max is not like the old 737's - it has lots of bin space with bags slotted in upright.

Yes, you are correct my friend, there is a lot of room in these new bins. The issue is those who do not travel much or do not know how to travel, simply throw their bags any which way above and then sit down and try and figure out what they are doing. I cannot tell you how many times when in Y, and that would be in 19C, I wanted to get up and walk over to that kettle, fixed their bag position, and then slap them on the back of the head and tell them to do better! I know this may get me into trouble, but it would be effective!
YZF_Elite, gcashin and airstream74 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 10:27 am
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
On this flight I was a little entitled when the F/A asked who's bag (my go bag) was this, My go bag was snuggled along side my one only carry on, so I said mine.
Did both bags have your SE luggage tags clearly visible? I would hope that all things being equal an FA would show some discretion and keep moving along and not bother an SE bag.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by wjw
Did both bags have your SE luggage tags clearly visible? I would hope that all things being equal an FA would show some discretion and keep moving along and not bother an SE bag.
Good question, I usually ensure the tags are very visible......This time my go bag was turned around the wrong way and it was not visible. The crew was also new or appeared to be new.

The good thing that came out of this was when the cart came out, the same FA was serving and I smiled politely and said for my SE treat I will have the cashews but I will buy the cheese and fruit as well as the sandwich......Oh you are SE she said......she went to the in charge and came back ...........It was all free.

I will take this as a win.

But to your point, I failed to position both of my bags the correct way. So this is on me.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Yes, you are correct my friend, there is a lot of room in these new bins. The issue is those who do not travel much or do not know how to travel, simply throw their bags any which way above and then sit down and try and figure out what they are doing. I cannot tell you how many times when in Y, and that would be in 19C, I wanted to get up and walk over to that kettle, fixed their bag position, and then slap them on the back of the head and tell them to do better! I know this may get me into trouble, but it would be effective!
True. Proactive crews are good about scurrying through the cabin and righting the bags to make room.
folkart likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by commaspace
Nickle and dime inches off rollies when people bringing "personal items" duffles the size of an 35-50L. Ridic.
The problem is a hard case that is even a cm to big will end up taking up the room of a couple of regulation bags becasue it can't be put under a seat and needs to be put in the bin sideways. Backpacks and duffle bags can contored to fit in tighter spots.

When I last flew on the Max the gate agents were doing their usual pre boarding announcement, almost begging people to check their bags in and then she caught my attention...."especially if you are in ZONES 4,5 & 6" ... I like that, free checked bag for kettles, sweet.

On this flight I was a little entitled when the F/A asked who's bag (my go bag) was this, My go bag was snuggled along side my one only carry on, so I said mine. She asked or told me if i can place it under the seat Infront of me. I said sure, I can move my SE bag to allow for the Zone's 4/5/6 bag that may fly once in a while instead of me who is flying weekly. Sure I may have come across as one of those, but its a big plane, bags are place in every which way by those who never or hardly fly on the aircraft and the F/A are trying their best to manage, but they do fall behind. Tag them and place them in the hold when there are just too many bags near the end for boarding. Anyways, there seems to be a lot of creative and innovative new procedure to deal with the many bags passengers are bringing on.
Your bag is more important because you fly more often?

Last edited by Adam Smith; Aug 17, 2022 at 11:07 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:13 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Aliquot
Your bag is more important because you fly more often?
People who "fly more often" get priority check-in, priority security, lounge access, priority boarding, etc... Should they not also expect better treatment when it comes to carry-on baggage?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
People who "fly more often" get priority check-in, priority security, lounge access, priority boarding, etc... Should they not also expect better treatment when it comes to carry-on baggage?

Am I crazy or did Air Canada use to allow business class passengers either 2 or 3 carryons (plus personal item)? I distinctly remember this being a thing, but I can't find any evidence of it.
fairhsa likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fraggle Rock
Perhaps AC needs to articulate this benefit, given the madcap state of carry-on?
respectable_man likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:03 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
If it's not listed as a perk, then no.

Just because you are SE, if the perk doesn't list "Priority carry on baggage treatment" you're simply acting as a DYKWIA

I've travelled as a status passenger and had another DYKWIA SE pull my bag out of the J bin, toss it on the floor and say his was more important. He nearly was booted off the plane.

If it's not a listed perk, no your bag is not more important than any other passengers unless it's a class of service or perk of your status.

Originally Posted by p106_peppy
Am I crazy or did Air Canada use to allow business class passengers either 2 or 3 carryons (plus personal item)? I distinctly remember this being a thing, but I can't find any evidence of it.
They allowed more regular bags (tagged) and different weights. That said, follow the rules like everyone else applicable to your status and fare class.

I used to send a suitcase full of frozen chicken breasts from my favourite butcher on winter flights from YYZ to YYC after I moved. He'd freeze them up and load them in the suitcase and drop the suitcase for me an hour before my flight and they would arrive home fully frozen and no issue. Suitcase was *always* 69 pounds.

Originally Posted by Norcanair
Perhaps AC needs to articulate this benefit, given the madcap state of carry-on?
If I flew the same amount as you, but paid more for my ticket in the same class of service should I expect better treatment than you?

Last edited by Adam Smith; Aug 17, 2022 at 4:24 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:33 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jazzsax
If it's not listed as a perk, then no.

Just because you are SE, if the perk doesn't list "Priority carry on baggage treatment" you're simply acting as a DYKWIA

I've travelled as a status passenger and had another DYKWIA SE pull my bag out of the J bin, toss it on the floor and say his was more important. He nearly was booted off the plane.

If it's not a listed perk, no your bag is not more important than any other passengers unless it's a class of service or perk of your status.
AC doesn't list upgrade priority anywhere. Does that mean an SE shouldn't expect to be upgraded ahead of a 25K? They don't list meal priority anywhere, so should meal orders just be taken based on where people are sitting?

There's a difference between the childish behaviour you're describing and expecting a bit of leeway.
ac/elite, RangerNS and commaspace like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:45 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
AC doesn't list upgrade priority anywhere. Does that mean an SE shouldn't expect to be upgraded ahead of a 25K? They don't list meal priority anywhere, so should meal orders just be taken based on where people are sitting?

There's a difference between the childish behaviour you're describing and expecting a bit of leeway.
AC does list upgrade priority. It's called the upgrade list. If you request an updrade and it hasn't cleared, it's on the list and you know where you stand. Potential upgrades are listed as a perk.

Perhaps feeling entitled as a more frequent flyer to have "more rights" to space in the overhead bins is childish behaviour. You have space requirements like everyone else. If you don't follow them, I could care less if it's childish behaviour me saying something about it, it's more childish behaviour being the person with status and not following the rules.

If you want the peons in Y on basic fares to follow the rules, you should as well.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:55 pm

Just follow the RyanAir model for Y: pay for non-essentials. Simple. Hugely successful airline, largest in Europe. Let's not pretend people actually put their oversized "personal items" under the seats because many don't so your points about 1-2" difference are moot. Ys are budget travellers mostly indifferent to perks and care more about price. 1 personal item, zero carryon allowance. Problem solved.

In turn, there will be more leeway, perks for premium-cabin travellers and FFs who are interested in perks and comfort. They mostly would rather the perks to be offered than to have to ask for it, and look like a ......... in the process. Nobody wants to be a DYKWIA.

Less of the half-... trying to please everyone and ending up pissing off everyone like many of these legacy airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.