Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

IFE selections might be coming to airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2022, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum Elite

I did a survey for Air Canada after receiving an email following a July 21 flight I took. This question jumped out as I hadn't heard this being mulled anywhere before:

Air Canada is evaluating a new entertainment offering. It would allow customers to watch TV and movies on personal devices in the airport for free –– the same premium TV and new release movies enjoyed on board Air Canada flights that are not yet available on streaming services such as Netflix.

How likely are you to watch these TV and movies in the airport, if available for free and on demand?
Old Jul 28, 2022, 6:45 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
That's actually quite cool and innovative.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 8:51 pm

Programs: hahaha
I could see myself using this! It would hopefully be a boot in the bum to help airports improve their WiFi. I'd point out YVR but their wireless has improved significantly over the past 3 years
Old Jul 28, 2022, 11:20 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Interesting idea. But who gets there early enough to watch a show? Or doesn't travel enough that there's anything good left to watch? But innovation is neat in any form. I wonder if they could build a streaming platform such that it would survive an airport full of people delayed if they choose to use that over Netflix, etc from mobile devices. I'm not one to watch movies on phones or laptops though.

I'd just like my newspapers back for in-airport entertainment.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 11:57 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by asovse1
I could see myself using this! It would hopefully be a boot in the bum to help airports improve their WiFi. I'd point out YVR but their wireless has improved significantly over the past 3 years
YVR airport or YVR MLL? I'd say the WiFi in the Dom MLL still isn't great.

Originally Posted by CdnFlier
Interesting idea. But who gets there early enough to watch a show?
Given that, when flying domestically, I try to arrive at the airport shortly after boarding has started, I understand this comment.

But have you considered layovers? Many times I've flown YYC-YYZ-Europe, YYC-YVR-Oceania, YYC-YYZ-US, etc, and might have enjoyed having access to this between flights.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Hey now, the only way to watch a movie on YYZ-YOW is if you start it at the airport.
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 1:23 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Given that, when flying domestically, I try to arrive at the airport shortly after boarding has started, I understand this comment.

But have you considered layovers? Many times I've flown YYC-YYZ-Europe, YYC-YVR-Oceania, YYC-YYZ-US, etc, and might have enjoyed having access to this between flights.
True enough, it's funny though, perhaps it's just me but Ido a lot of movie watching on planes - probably most of my watching - when I'm in an airport I'm pretty happy to do anything else.

Originally Posted by talkeryxu
Hey now, the only way to watch a movie on YYZ-YOW is if you start it at the airport.
Fair point, the worst is an end of month trip where you start a movie and it's gone on your return flight a few days later.
talkeryxu likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 5:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan E75K, Marriott gold, HHonors silver
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
YVR airport or YVR MLL? I'd
I think this a great idea and would personally see myself using it more during layovers, especially if connecting flights are delayed, or connections missed etc. This being said, I usually download a few episodes or movies on Netflix so always covered to have content, but usually the IFE has more recent releases so that would be the value for me. And, one could start a movie in the airport and continue on board which would be another nice benefit.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 6:16 am

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
If they let you log in to the Ife on the plane as well so that your watch progress is synced to the plane - that would be cool.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 6:40 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Sounds like they are preparing for YYZ/YUL/YVR boarding delays to reach the 5-6 hour level on average,
and they need to keep the suckers passengers entertained.
blue2002 and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:46 am
Original Poster

If they really wanted to do something fun, give pax access at home once they do OLCI.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 2:21 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by NikinYOW
This being said, I usually download a few episodes or movies on Netflix so always covered to have content, but usually the IFE has more recent releases so that would be the value for me.
Yeah, me too, but every once in a while I find that my Netflix and Prime downloads are all expired and my Plex content didn't download correctly, and it would be nice not to deal with trying to renew, re-download, etc.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
well, given ACs horrendous OTP stats, probably many. Not to mention misconnects that result.

we were very recently almost treated to an extra-long layover at YVR courtesy of the seemingly always-delayed AC4. Had to hoof it through security, customs and practically the entire TB terminal to make our connection which they held for a few minutes - we were the last ones to board (by far). If we hadn’t made it, I’ll admit that would have helped (esp. since the TB Plaza Premium lounge is still ‘temporarily’ closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.