Search

how to use miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2003, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Marriot Silver, Lifetime United Club
how to use miles

Hi all,

I have 80,000 miles on AC (have had them for quite a while now) and I'm afraid they might go bankrupt and I'll lose them.

Any suggestions on what I should do to use them?

thanks
Old Oct 16, 2003, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome confusedflyer.

There are probably as many theories about using miles as there are contributors to this forum.

I try to maximize value. I use miles for international trips in J class. I realize that getting seats is a challenge but with patience and planning, I usually find what I need.

Old Oct 16, 2003, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Marriot Silver, Lifetime United Club
thanks,

Do you know if I can transfer the points to another FF program? Or use them to purchase merchandise?

I'm currently living overseas (in Belize) and AC does not fly here.
Old Oct 16, 2003, 8:45 am

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
Also welcome!

I have used 80K for both international J-class (as already mentioned) but also for 2 North-American J-class for myself and Mrs. PB. That is what we normally do with them.

Good luck!

PB
Old Oct 16, 2003, 9:06 am

Welcome to FT confusedflyer

Would you travel with someone or by yourself?

Did you know you can use them on other Star Alliance Partners. You are not restricted to flying just Air Canada with them.

You can get a full list of partners at www.staralliance.com . You can book travel with them using your Aeroplan points.

Maybe it's time to consider a trip

Old Oct 16, 2003, 10:23 am

Confusedflyer, welcome to FT.I am sure somairline flies to Belize--and it would likely be a Star Alliance Airline. In flights less than 3 hrs, IMHO, using J award is not much use. I use mine mostly in International J (orF). Consider that you have to pay 4c/mile to buy points so if your ticket is less than $1000(CDN) 40000 points for a North America J ticket is no good. Also, Aeroplan is a separate entity to AC and if AC goes belly up, I think Aeroplan is still, if I recall correctly, responsible for honoring your points
Old Oct 16, 2003, 10:37 am

confused flyer... I am not sure if you have any status on aeroplan or not...

If you do, there are a couple of options on reward sales to Europe at this time of year... What usually is required is 60,000 miles for economy seat...during reward sale can be had for 40, 000 miles...

So, your 80,000 miles would buy two return tickets to Europe in economy ... or one J class ticket for 80,000 miles...

Old Oct 16, 2003, 10:51 am

From Belize?
Old Oct 16, 2003, 10:53 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">if your ticket is less than $1000(CDN) 40000 points for a North America J ticket</font>
I'm pretty certain you can't get a return NA J ticket for $1000, unless it's something like YVR-YYC.
Old Oct 16, 2003, 11:42 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by confusedflyer:
I'm currently living overseas (in Belize) and AC does not fly here.</font>
For Ken
Old Oct 16, 2003, 11:46 am

Part of Maximizing use of miles is sticking in a stop over!!
You are only allowed one stop over. But if you're interested in spending a day in yet an extra place you could ask that the connection be as late as possible within 24 hours and then according to my understanding of the rules it's still called a connection.
Old Oct 16, 2003, 11:50 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Dia Amb
You can use your miles for merchandise - Others know more about that than me, do a search here for "Toasters"

When I looked, redeeming for merchandise, hotels, and vacation packages realized about $0.01 of 'value' per mile. Ie, a $50 toaster would be 5,000 points (just an example).

I find I can get $0.07 to $0.10 of 'value' by redeeming for business and first class tickets or short-notice economy tickets. As was suggested above, check out the other Star Alliance carriers for reward possibilities. Go to www.staralliance.com as a start. You might have to take a short flight to a destination served by a *A carrier if there aren't any that go to Belize.
Old Oct 16, 2003, 6:25 pm

Hi ConfusedFlyer, Welcome to FT.

To give you a good idea of all the airlines you can fly with AP miles, here they are:

Air Canada
Air New Zealand
ANA All Nippon
Asiana
Austrian
BMI British
Lauda Air
LOT-Polish
Lufthansa
Mexicana
SAS Scandanavian
Sinapore Airlines
Spanair
Thai Airways
Tyrolean
United
Varig

wow, lots of options!

I am sure BZE(Belize) is served by some airline in the *A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.