Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to increase partnership with UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada to increase partnership with UA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2022, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by lsquare
do ua elites even get free seat selection on ac? On their standard economy fares, i see a fee for all the seats as a ua silver. It's almost like as if ac is turning into a ulcc.
Originally Posted by adam smith
Ua silver isn't *g, and doesn't get a ton of benefits even from ua. They only get free y+ at check-in on ua flights. Not sure why you would expect to get much on ac.
Originally Posted by adam smith
i've not put any words in your mouth. I've simply pointed out that your expectation of getting any real benefits on ac as a ua silver is unreasonable.

Ac isn't "running up the flight count". Yyz<>lga was the 8th busiest air route in 2017-18, for instance, with over 20 flights a day in each direction, let alone yyz-ewr and other permutations between yto and nyc.
​​​​​​
lmao!
​​​​​​
Old Jul 23, 2022, 2:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I've simply pointed out that your expectation of getting any real benefits on AC as a UA Silver is unreasonable.

AC isn't "running up the flight count". YYZ<>LGA was the 8th busiest air route in 2017-18, for instance, with over 20 flights a day in each direction, let alone YYZ-EWR and other permutations between YTO and NYC.
Eight busiest in passenger flights is far removed from being eight busiest in number of passengers flown. The number of passenger seats on my NYC-YYZ planes seem to be way down on average than what they used to be back around when LAN did the route too and even before LAN. But it could well be that at times my flights were unrepresentative of the overall picture for what kind of planes were flying the city pair.

I think it perfectly reasonable that UA Silvers should get some real seating benefits on AC flights, no less so when these airlines want to try to get closer and closer at the expense of consumers. Just like I think it perfectly reasonable that AC 25k should get some real seating benefits on UA flights.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Eight busiest in passenger flights is far removed from being eight busiest in number of passengers flown. The number of passenger seats on my NYC-YYZ planes seem to be way down on average than what they used to be back around when LAN did the route too and even before LAN. But it could well be that at times my flights were unrepresentative of the overall picture for what kind of planes were flying the city pair.

I think it perfectly reasonable that UA Silvers should get some real seating benefits on AC flights, no less so when these airlines want to try to get closer and closer at the expense of consumers. Just like I think it perfectly reasonable that AC 25k should get some real seating benefits on UA flights.
I couldn't agree more. There is way too much collusion in aviation. Get rid of all the JVs and force the airlines to compete.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 5:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Probably means the return of the on again off again UA - Hawaii/Pacific/Asia YYZ/SFO connector flight & possibly real jets to IAH.
Toddcan and Bohemian1 like this.

Last edited by ACYYZ/SD; Jul 23, 2022 at 5:33 am
Old Jul 23, 2022, 5:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan
It would be nice if this could somehow increase/improve flight options out of YHZ, but I don't see this happening. Direct flights to United hubs like ORD, DEN, IAH, or IAD seem pretty unlikely.

Of course what I really want are direct flights to *A hubs in Europe from YHZ, but that is going way Off Topic.
Symmetre likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 5:59 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by trek604
True but was thinking about the amount of 737's now operating with unavoidable middle seats
Originally Posted by p106_peppy
The problem is that there are lots of flights on those regional jets that are longer than an hour, where the service level is not adjusted.

YVR-Denver is like 3 hours, and if you end up booking a flight through AC that's actually operated by United.... you get a snack box and like one drink that's never refreshed. Also their wine selection sucks. It's all crappy plastic single serve bottles that have spent the last year cooking in a warehouse. Then they don't even stock enough cups, so if the wine is trash so you ask for something else instead, they take back the cup to rinse and re-use it.

Compared to the same route on actual AC metal: It's a similar sized plane but you get a hot meal, a pre-meal snack of almonds, a post meal snack of chips and/or chocolate, and a reasonable number of top ups on drinks. AC will open a brand new full bottle of wine even if you're the only person who wants some. And it's decently good wine too, like they went to the liquor store and bought a random selection of wines in the $15-20 range. Nothing decadent, nothing bad, just middle of the road decent. And then they store it properly.

United's flagship Polaris is great and all, the problem is that it's not available on the routes that I fly. Everywhere I go is crappy regional jets with crappy food and crappy service. If given the option between AC and United, I will go out of my way to stay on AC.
Fair point and you are right. I experienced that just last week when my AC flight YVR -DEN was cancelled. I had a preferred Aisle seat up front and knew what to expect for service, looking forward to my SE snack etc. Over night the flight was cancelled and I was moved to UA on a 737 where as a AC SE MM, meant nothing, nothing at all. I had to use their portal to check in which failed, they gave me a middle seat at the back on the plane, I asked for a E+ Aisle seat as there were many available, but noooooo we cant do that!

UA may be cheap at times, but I take the AC experience over the UA experience for real trips. Quick short ball weekend flight, flying UA is like taking a bus in the inner city.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr;34450702[color=#000000
] Over night the flight was cancelled and I was moved to UA on a 737 where as a AC SE MM, meant nothing, nothing at all. I had to use their portal to check in which failed, they gave me a middle seat at the back on the plane, I asked for a E+ Aisle seat as there were many available, but noooooo we cant do that![/color]
UA may be cheap at times, but I take the AC experience over the UA experience for real trips. Quick short ball weekend flight, flying UA is like taking a bus in the inner city.
So in summary, your AC flight was cancelled (surprise!), and you got exactly what you are entitled to on United. Why didnt you insist rebooking on AC?
Where do you think United top tier sits on AC? At least with United you get free seat selection, with AC you get to wait till checkin.....

As for the "experience", I'd rather take an airline that is not delayed 72% of the time.....
Since New York was brought up. Here is LGA. What point is it having all this frequency, when none of the flights are on time (my favourite is the 3am redeye last night)
EWR was 3 delayed/3 cancelled. (United YYZ-EWR was 3/4 on time before people start blaming YYZ)

respectable_man and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Probably means the return of the on again off again UA - Hawaii/Pacific/Asia YYZ/SFO connector flight & possibly real jets to IAH.
The real jets come and go. I did IAH in May, now its gone, and only jets are to DEN and ORD.
Its really a crapshoot on when mainline gets put on the schedule.
But if this agreement leads to more United mainline flights to Canada - then its a positive, not outweighting the inevitable price-fixing and collusion but still ....
Old Jul 23, 2022, 6:30 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by rankourabu
So in summary, your AC flight was cancelled (surprise!), and you got exactly what you are entitled to on United. Why didnt you insist rebooking on AC?
Where do you think United top tier sits on AC? At least with United you get free seat selection, with AC you get to wait till checkin.....

As for the "experience", I'd rather take an airline that is not delayed 72% of the time.....
Since New York was brought up. Here is LGA. What point is it having all this frequency, when none of the flights are on time (my favourite is the 3am redeye last night)
EWR was 3 delayed/3 cancelled. (United YYZ-EWR was 3/4 on time before people start blaming YYZ)

Ya I needed to get home that day. The YVR-YOW cost more so I dip through the US often to save money and points as you can do this with both Revenue and point bookings (not starting any issues here). Denver seems to work nicely for YVR/YYC flights so going through DEN was to save money. I just missed the delayed DEN-YYZ flight as I was in the wrong terminal and then my DEN-YYZ flight was delayed by an hour. I do not mind Denver as it's not too far south and the club lounge I enjoy.
rankourabu likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Ya I needed to get home that day. The YVR-YOW cost more so I dip through the US often to save money and points as you can do this with both Revenue and point bookings (not starting any issues here). Denver seems to work nicely for YVR/YYC flights so going through DEN was to save money. I just missed the delayed DEN-YYZ flight as I was in the wrong terminal and then my DEN-YYZ flight was delayed by an hour. I do not mind Denver as it's not too far south and the club lounge I enjoy.
DEN has a CL and UC so it's not too bad to transit there.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 7:22 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Eight busiest in passenger flights is far removed from being eight busiest in number of passengers flown.
Even ignoring the years of evidence that YTO-NYC is a city pair that rewards high frequency, your conspiracy theory about "running up the flight count" would seem to be pretty divorced from load factor, so I'm not sure how you feel the latter is relevant here.

I think it perfectly reasonable that UA Silvers should get some real seating benefits on AC flights. Just like I think it perfectly reasonable that AC 25k should get some real seating benefits on UA flights.
On what do you base this expectation? AC gives truly minimal seating benefits to its *own* 25K members, and United basically lets its Silvers pick through the E+ leftovers at OLCI.

AC*G does not get E+.. Just standard seats.

UA*G doesnt even get free standard seats on AC
Bingo.

...though my track record is around 80-90% for getting free E+ seats on domestic UA flights, simply by asking politely.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 8:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by pprrff
Oh man if only that would mean AC would move to T2 at DCA. Right now they're not connected airside so using the UA lounge is a pain and Terminal A/1 has nothing (except for convenient short security lines)

AC used to be in the other terminal (T2). At that time the UA lunge was pretty abysmal. Now, as you point out, no lounge, a very long walk, and an overcrowded dirty gate area. On the plus side, the redesigned security area is very quick (even pre-Covid), particularly with Nexus. When I walk by security for T2 there’s always a long line.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
So in summary, your AC flight was cancelled (surprise!), and you got exactly what you are entitled to on United.
Hence the speculation in this thread - AC claims a more even and seamless experience, so maybe, just maybe AC and UA will start treating each other's Elites well through some form of reciprocity. If not, this is just a bunch of hot air.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:23 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
So what? None of that has anything to do with competition authorities signing off on closer cooperation. @zkzkz posited that AC/UA are somehow inflating the number of flights they're currently running on that city pair to then give something back later. That doesn't make any sense, because it has long been an incredibly busy route by number of flights. It doesn't matter whether it's the 8th busiest route by passenger count, or 12th, or 374th. The number of flights on the schedules on that city pairing is not out of line with historical levels, which means the theory is nonsense to begin with.

Originally Posted by lsquare
I couldn't agree more. There is way too much collusion in aviation. Get rid of all the JVs and force the airlines to compete.
Air travel is international. Many customers want to fly from one place that's served by Airline A but not Airline B, to another place that's served by Airline B but not Airline A. JVs allow for coordination of schedules/inventory and pricing to give consumers access to additional choices.

The real problem in air travel is the incredibly balkanized market driven by nationalist views in so many countries that air travel is somehow sacred and must be protected from foreign ownership. Because airlines are unable to merge across many borders, the only way for airlines to create global travel experiences is to develop interline agreements, JVs, and other forms of partnership.

You can argue that there's not enough competition in the Canadian market or the TB market, but getting rid of "all of the JVs" is just ridiculous.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The real problem in air travel is regulatory capture whereby the governments have become airline kiss-ups and grant the kind of waivers and favors that result in more concentrated marketplaces and allow for more price collusion benefits for the favored airlines already in a pretty favorable position against consumers.

If this AC-UA anti-consumer agreement is approved and allowed to be implemented, the balkanization will likely get worse with regard to using program points for the partner airline’s flights; and the mileage ticket prices will skyrocket way more because of this.
sokolov and lsquare like this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 28, 2022 at 6:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.