Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to increase partnership with UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2022, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM

Air Canada and United Airlines Expand Relationship to Make Transborder Travel Easier, With More Choice (newswire.ca)

Air Canada and United Airlines sign deal to expand relationship (msn.com)

From the press release:

Under the joint business agreement, subject to compliance with U.S. and Canadian regulatory and antitrust requirements, the two airlines will now be able to:
  • Coordinate their networks and schedules, enabling the carriers to offer customers more choice, including more flights throughout the day and more access to each airline's seat inventory.
  • Enhance codeshare on transborder flights, excluding certain U.S. leisure markets and territories. The carriers anticipate customers will be able to connect to 46 transborder codeshare destinations with more than 400 daily frequencies in 2022 – with opportunities to add more codeshare destinations for domestic routes within Canada and the U.S.
  • Sell seats on each other's transborder flights and share revenue on flights between hub markets (where regulatory authorities and antitrust requirements allow), allowing the carriers to grow their overall capacities.
  • Align customer policies for greater consistency and enable the seamless provision of onboard products, establish airport co-locations where available and provide extra value to each carriers' frequent flyer programs.
  • Allow the two carriers to work closer together to advance their sustainability objectives.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 22, 2022 at 9:27 am Reason: Add context
Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Not a lot of details of what this truly means - in some ways it sounds like it brings us back to say five years ago when there were way more offerings of UA flights on the AC website.

This drew my attention:
"Align customer policies for greater consistency and enable the seamless provision of onboard products, establish airport co-locations where available and provide extra value to each carriers' frequent flyer programs"

I wonder if this will mean:
  • UA premium members can get free access to AC preferred Y seats and AC premium members get free access to UA Economy Plus
  • When we book a Flex fare on AC.com on a connecting flight it maps to a UA fare that actually gives us 100% miles.
  • SE's get a free drink and snack on UA flights
Antonio8069 and edmond00 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
United has gotten much better in recent years. That said, a lot of their flights with J out of YYZ are usually regional planes with no real meals (unless you are lucky to get a 737). The only thing that seems to always happen is

Land in ORD, 25 minute walk to the next gate
Land in DEN, 35 minute walk to the next gate

E+, moving to T2 at DEN would be great starts. I know it won't count towards MM status but given the 2 year loss on travel, it would be nice to see AC extend that somehow a little bit. I am sure none of the JV will save pax any money but if it means better integration, I am all for it.

While I am typing this, it would be great to show up at the airport on a UA flight on a 016 ticket and swap to a AC plane if it was leaving a bit earlier (which really doesn't happen much)
Old Jul 22, 2022, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by lcohen999
it would be great to show up at the airport on a UA flight on a 016 ticket and swap to a AC plane if it was leaving a bit earlier (which really doesn't happen much)
And I was thinking the opposite. Until AC gets E+, I try to minimize my time on them.

Originally Posted by The Lev
I wonder if this will mean:
  • UA premium members can get free access to AC preferred Y seats and AC premium members get free access to UA Economy Plus
Won't happen. E+ has value, while "preferred" seats don't.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And I was thinking the opposite. Until AC gets E+, I try to minimize my time on them.

I think you misunderstand what a Preferred Seat is on AC.

It's the equivalent of E+. It has substantially more leg room.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman

Curious what's the difference between E+ and AC's Preferred Seats.
canadiancow and Adam Smith like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 9:29 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Not a lot of details of what this truly means
Indeed. What a useless announcement.

in some ways it sounds like it brings us back to say five years ago when there were way more offerings of UA flights on the AC website.
If that's the case, will they actually be priced reasonably? I frequently see UA options that I can book with AC that cost multiples of what UA would charge to book it directly with them.
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: AC E50K *G - Amtrak SelectPlus
Oh man if only that would mean AC would move to T2 at DCA. Right now they're not connected airside so using the UA lounge is a pain and Terminal A/1 has nothing (except for convenient short security lines)
Beltway2A and PingMonkey like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 9:55 am

Lots of fluff. Maybe it means more partner award availability for each other's flights, maybe. Until they announce tangible benefits for each other's elites aside from *A Gold this doesn't seem all that exciting.

Align customer policies for greater consistency and enable the seamless provision of onboard products, establish airport co-locations where available and provide extra value to each carriers' frequent flyer programs.

Perhaps this is paving the way for the fact that the MLL at EWR is gone forever and will be co-operated by the United Club in the new Terminal A as rumored?

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 22, 2022 at 10:39 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Jul 22, 2022, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Curious what's the difference between E+ and AC's Preferred Seats.
Not much difference for narrow bodies:
A320 -- AC: 35" (36 seats), UA : 35" (42 seats)
B737 -- AC: 34" (54 seats) UA: 34" (42-54 seats)

Widebodies is the big difference where AC's "Preferred" are limited to just the bulkhead seats whereas a United 777 can have over 100 E+ seats. But a bulkhead AC seat will be as good or better than a UA E+ seat.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
I hope AC does not produce a Economy Basic fare like UA where FF's can't even select seats and those aren't worth any AQM/AQS.
sokolov and ezefllying like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 10:44 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by trek604
I hope AC does not produce a Economy Basic fare like UA where FF's can't even select seats and those aren't worth any AQM/AQS.

Living on the border or near the border, those cheap basic fare flights on regional jet where you always get a window or aisle are not so bad with flights less than an hour. Those fares are perfect for quick trips to a ball game in a US city
jamiel likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: AC 75K
Not much difference for narrow bodies:
A320 -- AC: 35" (36 seats), UA : 35" (42 seats)
B737 -- AC: 34" (54 seats) UA: 34" (42-54 seats)

Widebodies is the big difference where AC's "Preferred" are limited to just the bulkhead seats whereas a United 777 can have over 100 E+ seats. But a bulkhead AC seat will be as good or better than a UA E+ seat.
Thanks, although my question was slightly on the rhetorical side
The Lev, lsquare and canadiancow like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 11:05 am

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Living on the border or near the border, those cheap basic fare flights on regional jet where you always get a window or aisle are not so bad with flights less than an hour. Those fares are perfect for quick trips to a ball game in a US city
True but was thinking about the amount of 737's now operating with unavoidable middle seats
Old Jul 22, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by pprrff
Oh man if only that would mean AC would move to T2 at DCA. Right now they're not connected airside so using the UA lounge is a pain and Terminal A/1 has nothing (except for convenient short security lines)
I don't think Air Canada has any incentive to move to the B/C concourses at DCA. United treats DCA as an O/D market and doesn't sell connections through there, so neither carrier will perceive any synergies from co-locating at DCA. Plus, the DCA United Club is small and already at capacity, so UA won't want to share it with AC. And United's DCA gates are some of the worst in their system — a crowded mess that makes LGA circa 2010 look spacious. If AC is in B/C, they won't be that convenient to the United Club, if they can get gate space at all.
jamiel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.