Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to increase partnership with UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada to increase partnership with UA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:35 pm

I wonder if this was why AC was flooding NYC with that crazy number of flights. If they're going into a revenue splitting arrangement it may have been in their interest to establish as big a slice of the pie just before the agreement takes effect as possible.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by bocastephen
That won't happen for sure, especially as 1K members are unlikely to get a free meal when flying AC. I'm sure the topic didn't even come up during negotiations.

The premium seat reciprocity is already one-sided with *G able to select E+ on United a few days before departure, while no UA elite can select a premium seat on AC - this needs to be balanced out.
AC*G does not get E+.. Just standard seats.

UA*G doesnt even get free standard seats on AC never mind better seats of which AC has almost none on wide bodies anyway.

My opups on AC have been plenty (7/14 before covid) and 1/3 so far this year. From what I hear this is more common the youd think on AC for UA elites.
GUWonder and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:59 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by lsquare
Uh...since when did I say UA Silver is *G?

UA Silver is an elite tier so I did phrase things correctly.
You replied to a comment about supposedly inequitable *G treatment.
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by zkzkz
I wonder if this was why AC was flooding NYC with that crazy number of flights. If they're going into a revenue splitting arrangement it may have been in their interest to establish as big a slice of the pie just before the agreement takes effect as possible.
What are you talking about? NYC has been a huge market for AC for a very long time.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
AC*G does not get E+.. Just standard seats.
Not according to those threads on the UA forum...
Old Jul 22, 2022, 9:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
UA lounges, UA lounge agents have been very good to me over the years.

UA flying has been mostly horrible. I don't remember how or why, but I got some side-by-side herring bone J from east coast to Texas, and it was just sad. And another time out of ORD an AC concierge got me direct back to YHZ on a UA E-something in J. Two flights: first and last. I'm survived on the popcorn I bought at the AC gate, but without IFE I was about ready to talk to my seatmate. Literally hell; I'm pretty sure the cold snack they bought from the PanAm liquidation sale.

And, of course, I simply will not fly out of EWR over the Gulf of Maine in those midget jets.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 9:31 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've never had a problem getting a refill on a UA regional jet.

The meals are another matter though.
Gotta agree with the cow here. I've never had an issue in J with getting a drink refill with United.

​​​
FlyingHoustonian likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Do UA elites even get free seat selection on AC? On their standard economy fares, I see a fee for all the seats as a UA Silver. It's almost like as if AC is turning into a ULCC.
No, I've always had to pay, even for a basic seat, forget a premium seat, and I'm a UA 1K/*G

Originally Posted by Nitehawk
I've never been able to select an E+ seat as an AC*G. The only way I've gotten into E+ is by fluke (auto assignment on full flights), or by chatting up the check-in or gate agents. As far as I know *G has no access to E+ without paying.
My mistake, it's restricted to UA MP Gold and higher, not extended to other airlines.
rankourabu and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
You replied to a comment about supposedly inequitable *G treatment.
​​​​​​

What are you talking about? NYC has been a huge market for AC for a very long time.

Not according to those threads on the UA forum...
I'm not sure what your problem is. My post speaks for itself. Please don't put words in my mouth.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 12:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

This:

Running up the AC flight count into NYC may give AC+UA something to “give up” for “approval” from the regulators; and then the regulators can push the charade as if they got a ”material” concession on behalf of consumers while giving away the farm.
sokolov and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by GUWonder
This:

Running up the AC flight count into NYC may give AC+UA something to “give up” for “approval” from the regulators; and then the regulators can push the charade as if they got a ”material” concession on behalf of consumers while giving away the farm.
​​​​​​I really do hope the regulators will block this from happening. I want less collusion and more competition.
GUWonder and sokolov like this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 1:26 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I'm not sure what your problem is. My post speaks for itself. Please don't put words in my mouth.
I've not put any words in your mouth. I've simply pointed out that your expectation of getting any real benefits on AC as a UA Silver is unreasonable.

AC isn't "running up the flight count". YYZ<>LGA was the 8th busiest air route in 2017-18, for instance, with over 20 flights a day in each direction, let alone YYZ-EWR and other permutations between YTO and NYC.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 1:31 am
Suspended

Then they are “keeping up the flight count” to trade a bit of it to get the approval to cash in on yet more governmental waivers and favors to collude at the expense of consumers?
Old Jul 23, 2022, 1:34 am

Then they are “keeping up the flight count” to trade a bit of it to get the approval to cash in on yet more governmental waivers and favors to collude at the expense of consumers?
No. YTO-NYC is a competitive market. The last antitrust review of the AC-UA relationship focused on routes like YYC-IAH where they would control all, or substantially all, of the capacity.

Also, the concern around antitrust reviews tends to be that the combined entity will cut back service after the transaction. So boosting service now to cut it back later is the total opposite of what would appease competition authorities.

The whole concept is ludicrous.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 1:37 am
Suspended

No.
So if they are neither running up nor keeping up the flight count to trade a bit of it to get the approval to cash in on yet more governmental waivers and favors to collude at the expense of consumers, are they dropping the flight count?
Old Jul 23, 2022, 1:49 am

So if they are neither running up nor keeping up the flight count to trade a bit of it to get the approval to cash in on yet more governmental waivers and favors to collude at the expense of consumers, are they dropping the flight count?
Why would they drop the flight count if travel demand is rebounding?
Old Jul 23, 2022, 2:05 am

No.
I'm sorry I started this digression. I really was shocked to see the number of flights/day to LGA and EWR but it does appear it was the case in 2018. AC currently has 25 flights a day into NYC between Montreal and Toronto which seems absurd to me but they had about the same in 2018 and apparently they have in the past had as many as 240 a week in 2016 when they dropped JFK according to articles at the time.

I guess my expectations were distorted from living in Europe for the past few years where a route like this would be on a320 family planes and have 4-6 flights per day instead of regional jets every hour or two. I do understand the reasons why and I knew that was the story in N.A. but I guess I didn't understand the scale of the difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.