Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Canadian Universities

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2003, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Did someone on this thread actually recommend spending time in Regina

And did someone say it "sometimes" rains in Vancouver? During the schoolyear it will be raining a lot of the time.
Old Oct 5, 2003, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
You never did say what type of Culture are you looking for email me.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Sorry I haven't been able to respond here for a while. I've been real busy getting stuff done before I head off to Montreal this Friday(the 10th).

I'm really looking forward to taking a looksie at McGill, plus I've never been to Tim Hortons......

schreibsman-That site is a life saver I got great flights on NW for ~$380 USD so I'm thrilled.

Anyways, I'll have a lot more time to post on Thursday evening, so I'll talk then.

Thanks again
-GSP flyer
Old Oct 9, 2003, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GSP flyer:
I'm really looking forward to taking a looksie at McGill, plus I've never been to Tim Hortons......</font>
As for Tim Horton's, you don't know what you're missing!

Have a good time in Montreal... la ville de joie!!!
Old Oct 9, 2003, 11:22 am

Be sure to try "poutine" while in Montreal. Start with the traditional version (french fries with cheese curds & gravy). Then if you are feeling adventurous, try the smoked meat & spaghetti sauce version at one of the smoked meat emporiums.

Another (belated) plug for Queen's. Yes its a great school, and the Political Studies program is very good. But the best part is the student body; the fact that Queen's has such high entrance standards ensures that there will always be intelligent & articulate people around. Check it out! Incidentally the current Queen's Principal (=Scottis version of a University President) came from McGill.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Okay, my trip was fantastic! I honestly didn't want to leave at all. The food blew me away and the people I met were fantastic. Plus, I was really impressed by McGill. I'll post a Trip report in a few days here and in the Trip Reports forum with all of the details.

Thanks for everything!
-GSP flyer
Old Oct 14, 2003, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

As promised to you folks, part 1:

As I had a Friday off this past week, I decided that it would be a good time to start my Canadian college search, which has been talked about at length on the Air Canada board. I decided that my first stop would be McGill University in Montreal. I managed to find a ticket for ~$380 with just four days notice on Northwest.
So here goes.....

Checkin- GSP Airport

My flight to Detroit was a 605AM scheduled departure, so I was at the airport by 500AM. It turns out that I didn't have acceptable photo ID, so my mom had to run home and fetch my REALLY ancient passport. However, it didn't arrive until 545AM, but the fantastic NW ground staff treated me like a king. Kudos to them. Woo-hoo! I'm off to Canada, alone!

NW5868/Operated by Pinnacle Airlines
Greenville/Spartanburg International to
Detroit Metro Airport
CRJ-200
Sch./Actual Departure:605AM/603AM
Sch./Actual Arrival:752AM/732AM

I scored seat 9A for the flight, which was a surprisingly good one. Having never flown on a NW CRJ, I was pleasantly surprised by the high quality of the seats. I was served a glass of OJ and pretzels. After quickly downing both, I headed off to the land of la for some sleep. I awoke 20 minutes before landing, and looked through my McGill viewbook, which ahd arrived two days earlier. Touchdown was 20 minutes early and as we taxied to C4, I saw one of NW's A330s in the new livery, it was absolutely beautiful.

Connection Time:
After landing, I headed own the psychodelic connecting tunnel between B/C and A. It was nice, but I was still groggy and it made me feel as if I was on drugs at that time in the morning. Next, I hit up the McDonalds for more OJ and a Bacon/Egg/Cheese Bagel and headed down to gate A7 where a was boarding. I ate for twenty minutes and then grabbed a Free Press for reading along with the McGill viewbook. As I began to feel more sleepy I also purcahsed a Pepsi to keep me awake. Finally our A320 pulled in from MKE and boarding commenced soon after.

NW1102
Detroit Metro to
Montreal/Dorval, Canada
Sch./Actual Departure:1015AM/1020AM
Sch./Actual Arrival:1151AM/1152AM
A320

Once again the gate agent didn't like the passport, but let me on anyways when I showed my birth certificate. I was soon seated in 22A and read the NW World Traveller magazine and finished off the paper. Snack was a Pepsi and pretzels. As we flew in I simply marveled at the changing colors of the trees and the beauty of Eastern Canada, as well as suburban Montreal as we flew along one of the rivers(I honestly can't say which one) on approach to Dorval. It was soooo beautiful. We touched down smoothly on time and taxied to Gate 84. Along the way I saw a lot of AC metal, mostly CRJs but at least 1 767 and a few A320s. You certainly don't see any of these in the states so it was a treat for me.

Part 2 Coming Friday
Montreal and the greatest 48 hours of my life.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 2:41 pm

Here's another Canadian university survey/ranking system: http://www.universityreportcard.com/

I personally believe that the methodolody is flawed - random students that are registered for a certain (scholarship) website are selected to participate - but it's a great place to find comments from students about various aspects of each university.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.