Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Canadian Universities

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2003, 10:56 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by why fly:
No its Abercrombie these days!
</font>
Right you might be - I haven't kept up to date with the latest fashion trends at "Moo U". Full list of university lightbulb jokes here: http://smartchic99.angelcities.com/lightbulb.html
Old Sep 28, 2003, 11:24 am
At Large

Quote:
4)NHL franchise-I'm not joking, I'm a pretty big Pittsburgh Penguins fan

You better go to Mcgill then and get a good hockey education learning to love the Habs.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 5:20 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Doing the student political thing in previous years almost behooves me (yes, that's my word for the evening) to post.

1. MacLeans rankings are biased towards eastern schools. They take into consideration alumni donations (which favours older schools), % of students that complete degrees within the alotted times (not understanding that the average student at some universities takes a year longer because of part-time work required to fund said studies). Without turning this into too much of a rant, just take the ratings with a grain of salt.

2. matintin hit the nail on the head when he correctly pointed out that undergrad tuition subsidizes graduate research. It happens, and it blows.

3. Remember that most international tuitions will be the tuition, plus a 100%+ international fee (so whereas I pay $4500 at the University of Calgary, you would pay at least $9500CAD). This is more expensive than some in-state tuitions in the US.

4. If you're looking for best academic/cultural education, then McGill is my recommendation hands down. Many Americans go there because its an 'honourary' member of the Ivy League, and I think its got the highest % of International Undergraduates in the country. Then UBC, and Dalhousie/U Alberta. All big cities, and all unique. I would avoid U Toronto, because its too much like America.

5. If you're looking for connections to GSP, your Airport's Schedule suggests that you could fly through ORD, DFW, EWR, IAH, ATL, DET, or PHL (among others). As far as I know, you can connect to nearly all Major Canadian Universities (UBC, Alberta, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, McGill, Dalhousie) with one connection service, although the routing sometimes might be funny (YEG/YYC-DFW/IAH-GSP, for example).

6. If you want to see the Penguin's play, then you'll probably need to be on the East Coast just because cross-conference rivals only play each other once a year in alternate cities (i.e. Calgary v. Pittsburgh, 2001/2003/2005 would be in in PIT, 2002/2004/2006 would be in YYC)... Then again, it might be good for you to see some real hockey on the west coast!

I'm currently in England on a semester abroad, but if you have any other questions (particularly about west coast Universities and the current suck on my tuition, don't hesitate to email me (its in my profile))

Best of luck -

O
Old Sep 28, 2003, 7:23 pm

The NHL question is easy: OILERS = University of Alberta (Edmonton)!

It's CO for YEG-IAH-GSP and lots of miles. The first leg currently arrives at 12:35 and your connection is at 1:05 although if there are delays it's tight as you have to go to the CO Express terminal by shuttle. The next flight isn't until 7:10 pm, which in the winter would leave you time to go to Cypresswood Golf Course just north of IAH and get in 18 holes!!

I went to U of A for a couple of years, then Carleton in YOW for my BA (#1 University in Canada if you're into Political Science and Canadian History) and then U of T for Law ( ). Carelton's cosy and both U of A and U of T are very big.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Hog's Back High / Last Chance U where kuality is spelt with a 'K' and Karleton is spelt with a 'K' (by next year, though, they will starting spelling Qarleton with a 'Q')" (Carleton University) would be a good university for Political Science -- unless you know French, then Ottawa may arguably be better for science po. Of course, either way, you'll be at the home of the next Stanley Cup winners -- the Senators!

I just graduated from Ottawa (did not do political science) and now studying in Belgium at the College of Europe (where my program is full of science po students).

Unlike YYCOllie, I would highly suggest you avoid Calgary -- he probably won't agree with me, but Calgary is home to an @$$hole (the President). The University is honestly very, very, very good, but I would steer clear of that institution for the next year or two while they get their house in order. (I was thinking on studying at Calgary this year, but changed my mind.)

I would also steer clear of UBC and UT. You're nothing but a number there. McGill could be fun, but who wants to be in the same city as the Habs?

Alberta would be an interesting place -- but Alberta politics is a bit boring -- you may want to be closer to all the 'real' action in Ottawa. After all, you may find yourself hanging out with the U.S. Ambassador at an event...
Old Sep 28, 2003, 8:25 pm
IJK

My educational background is as far away from polysci as you can get, but I suspect McGill
would be the most interesting place for that field.

The one advantage to having all those Habitant home games is that you could shoot up to Ottawa
(or take the train to T.O.) for those games with the Pens...

Old Sep 28, 2003, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by why fly:
the most important consideration is where are the best parties..... Western!</font>
Maybe but the nicest women are in Montreal...

Now seriously: I attended McGill and UofT.
I would recommend McGill because the overall cost of living is lower in Montreal than in Toronto; I include in this rent, food, drinks (if you don't drink, maybe she will ), transportation and out-of-school activities. Also, Montreal has a certain european "je-ne-sais-quoi" that Toronto does not have, and McGill is better located in DT Montreal than UofT is in DT Toronto.

The major advantage of UofT is the incredible diversity of students that you will meet there, and how "well-connected" the school is. UofT is now the most prestigious university in Canada, and they do not hesitate to pay what it takes to attract and retain the best prospective faculty members. This kind of strategy sometime pays a handsome return, but also produces spectacular disaster.

Thus, on average, I would rank the staff at McGill a little better than UofT, although Toronto definitely has star power.

As pointed out by someone else, interesting alternatives to UofT are the numerous universities scattered within 90 minutes of Toronto (Guelph, McMaster, Western, Waterloo amongst others), all of which offer good programs without the high cost of living of Toronto.

My only comments on UBC (which I never attended but visited) is that it must be the most beautiful campus in Canada, and that the university comes with a free "tops-are-optional" beach. Cost of living in Vancouver is outrageous by any measure...
Old Sep 28, 2003, 11:23 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by respectable_man:
Maybe but the nicest women are in Montreal...

Now seriously: I attended McGill and UofT.
I would recommend McGill because the overall cost of living is lower in Montreal than in Toronto; I include in this rent, food, drinks (if you don't drink, maybe she will ), transportation and out-of-school activities. Also, Montreal has a certain european "je-ne-sais-quoi" that Toronto does not have, and McGill is better located in DT Montreal than UofT is in DT Toronto.
</font>
I totally have to agree with respectable_man on the beautiful women bit. I have been in YUL for just past a year now and all of us agree that Montreal has many great looking women! We don't know where they come from but we ain't complaining. Also, Montreal is cheaper than Toronto or Vancouver especially for the rental due to the laws here.

McGill is located right smack downtown and since snow will keep your folks away, Montreal is good.

Have fun!

------------------
Travelling makes the world smaller and friendlier.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 11:31 pm

As an alumnus of Queen's, I can't let a topic like this go by without at least mentioning it.

A great academic school located in Kingston, which is about 2 hours away from Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal by train.

The school is small (about 15,000 students), but is always ranked up there with the other schools mentioned, despite being much smaller...

[This message has been edited by liveinahotel (edited 09-28-2003).]
Old Sep 29, 2003, 1:51 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by respectable_man:
My only comments on UBC (which I never attended but visited) is that it must be the most beautiful campus in Canada, and that the university comes with a free "tops-are-optional" beach. Cost of living in Vancouver is outrageous by any measure...</font>
I'm not sure that Vancouver is more expensive than Toronto for a student, although both are definitely more expensive than Montreal.

In my biased opinion, Vancouver has many more options in terms of climate and terrain. If you want winter weather (during winter months), just escape to the mountains 20 minutes away. If you want to hike in deep forest at any time of the year, that is instantly available. Anytime you want to walk or rollerblade on the beach or on the seawall, you have that option. If you want to go out with a kayak or a boat, presto. It does rain sometimes, though. Wreck Beach (the textile-optional beach) is located next to UBC in the midst of a national park.

Although Montreal is indisputably a bilingual city, Vancouver and Toronto have immense cultural diversity also. It's just that the default business language is English, and not French and English.

There is also the University of Victoria, although that's a much smaller place with fewer big-city amenities.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 6:21 am

Location: Here, There and Everywhere (but now on the Pacific)!
Programs: AC E75, MPC G and NEXUS/GE fan, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold, National EE, Amex Plat
I have to plug my alma matter here.

I did an undergrad degree in Environmental Science (with a number of Poly Sci courses) at York University, and then followed that up with a MBA from the Schulich School of Business at York.

I have to say, aside from the wind-tunnel the plagues the school in the winter, and the lack (but improving) public transit options to the school, it's a fantastic school.

A young and progressive roster of professors, Teaching Assitants, and some very nice new facilities. Not to mention some of the best Poly-Sci professors in the country.

But out of the choices you listed, i'd strongly vote with UBC. Gorgeous campus, great academic history, and a total lack of snow!
Old Sep 29, 2003, 7:33 am

Programs: AC SE100k
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by liveinahotel:
As an alumnus of Queen's, I can't let a topic like this go by without at least mentioning it.

A great academic school located in Kingston, which is about 2 hours away from Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal by train.

The school is small (about 15,000 students), but is always ranked up there with the other schools mentioned, despite being much smaller...

[This message has been edited by liveinahotel (edited 09-28-2003).]
</font>

Oil thigh na banrighinn!
Old Sep 29, 2003, 8:57 am

Here is another shameless plug for Queen's.
Its the closest thing to an Ivy League university in Canada. Small student size, nice buidlings, extensive research, relatively large endowment fund. HUGE alumni support. Crazy football atmosphere. Close enough to the major centers(Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa), but far enough to be unique. TOP notch students, with the highest academic entrance requirements in the nation.
Truly defines the term - 'Work Hard, Play Hard'.

Like a few others have mentioned, each university should be considered for what program you plan to study, they all have their strengths and weaknesses for their undergrad studies.
Engineering/CS : definately waterloo
Commerce/Business: Queen's, or Western if you can get into their HBA program.
Pure Science: UofT, McGill
Environmental Studies: York, UBC,
Politics: UofT, Ottawa

Old Sep 29, 2003, 9:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
For undergraduate education, I would not have put UBC or UofT on my list. They are fine schools, but undergraduates do not receive the attention from faculty that their colleagues in smaller universities receive.

The choices seem to be predicated on staying in one of the three biggest urban centres, which, personally, I believe to be a mistake. The small, primarily undergraduate universities like Mount Allison(my alma mater), Acadia, Trent and St. F.X. all merit close attention, but none are in large urban centres. (Mt. A is closest to an airport, YQM).

If it must be an urban centre with an NHL franchise, then McGill should be your first choice, hands down. But, I would also take another look at Simon Fraser, York, Ryerson and the University of Calgary.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 9:26 am

I went to Ryerson in downtown Toronto and loved it. Then again, I wear thongs so what can I really add to the conversation here (inside joke at AC). I was a business grad so we are in different worlds as far as your educational needs.

What I will add is that Toronto is one of the most multi-cultural cities in the world. There is something like 85+ different cultures in the city. I lived right downtown (it can get pricy, but no worse than YVR I think) The people get along great compared with cultural problems in US cities. I spent 3 years traveling to the US almost every week so I am giving a very fair comparison here - no flames please

The public transportation is great in Toronto as well not to mention the food. Oh the food is great. You can eat from a different culture every day for weeks on end.

Can't comment on the schools themselves but give two for Toronto as a world class city with many many things to do.

Whatever you choose I hope you enjoy your time in Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.