FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   CRJ-900 (CR9) seating and carry-on baggage information (2019 onwards) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2086985-crj-900-cr9-seating-carry-baggage-information-2019-onwards.html)

arshi007 Jan 7, 2019 11:06 am

CRJ-900 (CR9) seating and carry-on baggage information (2019 onwards)

Hi all,
I have an upcoming flight in the AC CRJ-900 and since this is part of a long haul premium economy leg, i am able to select the bulkhead seats for free. One question I have (and seatguru does not seem to have a conclusive answer here) is that are the bulkhead seats 12 D/F restricted in leg room due to the partition/divider? Usually on CRJ-900 of other airlines, the divider is not all the way to the ground (its usually either a curtain or a partial divider that has an opening at the bottom so you can put your bag and stretch your legs but seatguru seems to indicate there is restricted leg room, however there are no confirmed pics or reviews.

Can anyone who has been on one of these CRJ9's provide some insight.

thanks in advance

Moderator note: posts up to mid-2022 carved out from long-running thread on the reconfiguration of the old CRJ-705 fleet; a couple of other short threads with seating and baggage information were also combined with this one - Adam Smith, AC Forum Moderator​​​​​​

yyznomad Jan 7, 2019 11:14 am

Originally Posted by arshi007 (Post 30622937)
Hi all,
I have an upcoming flight in the AC CRJ-900 and since this is part of a long haul premium economy leg, i am able to select the bulkhead seats for free. One question I have (and seatguru does not seem to have a conclusive answer here) is that are the bulkhead seats 12 D/F restricted in leg room due to the partition/divider? Usually on CRJ-900 of other airlines, the divider is not all the way to the ground (its usually either a curtain or a partial divider that has an opening at the bottom so you can put your bag and stretch your legs but seatguru seems to indicate there is restricted leg room, however there are no confirmed pics or reviews.

Can anyone who has been on one of these CRJ9's provide some insight.

thanks in advance

@arshi007

12D has ample legroom, from experience, but I'm not tall.

Also, others feel the same with respect to legroom:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...hart-jazz.html

Also, the master wiki thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...-progress.html

arshi007 Jan 7, 2019 11:37 am

Answered

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 30622982)
@arshi007

12D has ample legroom, from experience, but I'm not tall.

Also, others feel the same with respect to legroom:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...hart-jazz.html

Also, the master wiki thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...-progress.html

@yyznomad, thanks a lot for the reply and the links to the threads. I searched for CRJ-900 and CRJ9 but not for cr9. That pretty much answers my question.

yyznomad Jan 7, 2019 11:38 am

Originally Posted by arshi007 (Post 30623098)
@yyznomad, thanks a lot for the reply and the links to the threads. I searched for CRJ-900 and CRJ9 but not for cr9. That pretty much answers my question.

No problem. And yes, I figured that was your train of thought. :)

mountainboy Jun 15, 2019 10:34 am

CRJ-900 (CR9) seating and carry-on baggage information (2019 onwards)

In the 12-seat CRA J cabin, does anyone remember what seats have the AVOD box intruding into the foot space? Is it the aisle-side seats? Want maximum space for the support boa constrictor.
Thanks.

Buster CT1K Jul 20, 2019 3:29 pm

I will be flying YVR to ORD in J. Will there be room for my rollaboard?

I rarely fly AC and I have found DL CRJ 900 to accommodate my bag but UA CRJ 700s and 900s do not, thus requiring a gate check.

Adam Smith Jul 21, 2019 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K (Post 31324824)
I will be flying YVR to ORD in J. Will there be room for my rollaboard?

I rarely fly AC and I have found DL CRJ 900 to accommodate my bag but UA CRJ 700s and 900s do not, thus requiring a gate check.

When AC re-configured the CRAs and made them CR9s, they added a second large closet up front to store bags. I don't ever remember being required to check my roll-aboard in J before that, and certainly it's not required now. Although many FAs don't seem to understand how to load it properly and sometimes a bit of Tetris is required to get things to fit.

Also note that AC does gate check slightly differently than US airlines. On UA and DL's CRx planes (although I don't believe UA has CR9s, only CR7s and CRJs), it's standard to check bags on the jetbridge and return them on the jetbridge at arrival. AC refers to this as "sky check" and typically only offers it on short flights on smaller planes, e.g. DH3 YCD-YVR, DH4 YTZ-YUL, etc. It's rarely, if ever, offered on a CR9. When AC refers to "gate check", they are talking about checking your bag to its final destination, to be picked up at the baggage carousel with regular checked luggage.

That won't be an issue for you flying J on the CR9, but for reference just in case it's applicable on another flight :)

Buster CT1K Jul 24, 2019 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 31326417)
When AC re-configured the CRAs and made them CR9s, they added a second large closet up front to store bags. I don't ever remember being required to check my roll-aboard in J before that, and certainly it's not required now. Although many FAs don't seem to understand how to load it properly and sometimes a bit of Tetris is required to get things to fit.

Also note that AC does gate check slightly differently than US airlines. On UA and DL's CRx planes (although I don't believe UA has CR9s, only CR7s and CRJs), it's standard to check bags on the jetbridge and return them on the jetbridge at arrival. AC refers to this as "sky check" and typically only offers it on short flights on smaller planes, e.g. DH3 YCD-YVR, DH4 YTZ-YUL, etc. It's rarely, if ever, offered on a CR9. When AC refers to "gate check", they are talking about checking your bag to its final destination, to be picked up at the baggage carousel with regular checked luggage.

That won't be an issue for you flying J on the CR9, but for reference just in case it's applicable on another flight :)

Thank you, this is very helpful info!

YVR72 Jul 28, 2019 5:39 pm

Sitting on FIN 781 right now. No wifi and no IFE. I had no idea they had any jets in the fleet without IFE.

YHZ_Flyer Jul 29, 2019 5:08 am

Originally Posted by YVR72 (Post 31352518)
Sitting on FIN 781 right now. No wifi and no IFE. I had no idea they had any jets in the fleet without IFE.

Fin 781 and Fin 782 which is just entering service are ex Skywest birds and still have the Skywest seats. No wifi or IFE as well.

marke190 Jul 29, 2019 5:34 am

Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer (Post 31353850)

Fin 781 and Fin 782 which is just entering service are ex Skywest birds and still have the Skywest seats. No wifi or IFE as well.

Will they eventually be retrofitted with wifi and the regular seats with IFE?

canadiancow Jul 29, 2019 9:50 am

Originally Posted by marke190 (Post 31353906)
Will they eventually be retrofitted with wifi and the regular seats with IFE?

I would assume after the 7M8 is back in service.

They just can't afford to take any other planes out of service right now.

YVR72 Jul 29, 2019 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer (Post 31353850)

Other complaints... tiny cupboard upfront - holds like two rollaboards.

The small port-side overheads are locked - on other CR9s, they are perfect for my mini laptop carrying case.

There is no curtain between J and Y so lots of traffic to the lav.

Cabin crew service was great though the menu distributed was not what was served. (Ordered ravioli, was served lasagna).

Barkinpark Aug 11, 2019 3:01 pm

CRJ 900 overhead bin questions

My family member will travel on CRJ 900 from SFO to YVR soon. He just found out that it's on a CRJ 900. He has a ton of medical equipment that cannot be gate-checked. He will travel on Biz class. I know that the OHBs over the A rows are useless, but what about those over the DF rows? Will they fit a standard carry-on roller? I have done online searches: some said yes, and some said no.

I guess he can also ask the FAs to use their closet, but there's no guarantee.

He is in a panic mode because he cannot afford to damage his medical stuff--he will be on a month-long vacation overseas and therefore is carrying all he will need on board.

Thanks.

RangerNS Aug 11, 2019 3:38 pm

Put a call into the medical desk. Generally, they are obligated to deal with medical hardware, not that they would not at the gate, but your friend might get early boarding or something to secure bin/closet space.