FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   CRJ-900 (CR9) seating and carry-on baggage information (2019 onwards) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2086985-crj-900-cr9-seating-carry-baggage-information-2019-onwards.html)

CanadianMike Nov 15, 2019 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 31740746)
Stick it straight in the closet then. Super easy. Just make sure you put it in the right way as many SDs are clueless on how to load them. Bag should go on its side, perpendicular to the aircraft. Should be able to get about 8 standard roll-aboards in that way. Whereas when people just put them in on their wheels, it looks full after like 3-4 bags.

(I spend too much time on CR9s :()

Separate closet for a suit / garment bag?

Thanks for the replies!

Adam Smith Nov 15, 2019 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by CanadianMike (Post 31740989)
Separate closet for a suit / garment bag?

Thanks for the replies!

After the re-configuration that was the genesis of this thread, AC installed a second closet in order to stow more roll-aboard bags. Previously, any overflow roll-aboards from J would go in the closet along with suit jackets and garment bags, which could make it pretty cramped.

The second (rear) closet now generally handles the bags and the original (front) closet gets to be mostly for jackets and stuff with the occasional roller.

The second closet also eliminated the seat right next to the lav, which was nice.

So all around, it's much better.

theshaun Dec 8, 2019 8:51 am

Jumping on this thread as I can't seem to find the answer.

Traveling YVR-SAN with a full sized carry on. Do they fit in the bins or will they be dropped off on a cart and picked up at the other end?

Stranger Dec 8, 2019 9:03 am

Originally Posted by theshaun (Post 31818251)

Traveling YVR-SAN with a full sized carry on. Do they fit in the bins or will they be dropped off on a cart and picked up at the other end?

Reguilar AC-sized carryons fit in the bins on the D-E side. Not sure what a "full sized carry on" is though.

Adam Smith Dec 8, 2019 9:54 am

Originally Posted by theshaun (Post 31818251)

There's no cart. Either it fits in the bins, in the closet (if you're in J), or under the seat. If it doesn't, it will be checked to final destination.

But the key is what you mean by "full size". If it's bigger than AC's maximum dimensions, it definitely won't fit in the overheads. If it's right at AC's max, it's work to stuff it in the overhead bin and, depending on how full the bin is, can be difficult to impossible to fit it.

theshaun Dec 8, 2019 9:56 am

When I say full size, I mean it's max dimensions for a carry on. Has been on many a plane but can't recall a CRJ 900. I know it fits on an ERJ 175. Not sure the size difference on CRJ900

Adam Smith Dec 8, 2019 10:02 am

The CR9 bins are tight. One of the issues is that the bins are at an angle, facing downwards from the centre of the aircraft towards the outside. But the doors to the bins don't open very high. If there are no bags already in the bin, it's usually fine to angle the bag in. But if the bin is nearly full, it can be difficult or impossible to get the bag in. If you're not in J, getting on as early as you can will definitely help.

The bins are definitely smaller and worse than on the E75/E90.

Stranger Dec 8, 2019 10:57 am

Originally Posted by theshaun (Post 31818439)
When I say full size, I mean it's max dimensions for a carry on.

Max dimensions is a bit of a moving target. Different airlines have different standards. Then according to some luggage manufacturers, at least in the US, there is "domestic" and "international" carry on sizes.

YVR72 Dec 17, 2019 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by AC681 (Post 31459887)
Just a point, they didn't remove the IFE, it was never installed on the 780 series fins. These were bought from Skywest and put into service ASAP to help cover MAX flying.

The new build 900s (717-721) do have all the things missing above

So, 780 thru 784 are all ex-SkyWest (Delta) and don’t have seatback entertainment or wifi? Elsewhere in this thread folks are only referring to 781/782.

Adam Smith Dec 18, 2019 8:16 am

Originally Posted by YVR72 (Post 31850225)
So, 780 thru 784 are all ex-SkyWest (Delta) and don’t have seatback entertainment or wifi? Elsewhere in this thread folks are only referring to 781/782.

Correct. The references only to 781/782 are probably because those were the only ones in service at that time. AC has been gradually adding these to the fleet as they get delivered.

markolenski Dec 31, 2019 9:23 am

Gate checking carry on CRJ900

I have a flight I booked through United from San Diego to Vancouver on Air Canada then onto Tokyo on ANA. It looks like my regular wheeled carry on may not fit and I will need to gate check the bag. I don’t want it to be checked to Tokyo. Will I get the bag back at the jetway or will I pick it up at Vancouver baggage claim.

WaytoomuchEurope Dec 31, 2019 9:28 am

It won't be in the jetway - there is no "skycheck".

I never fly US-YVR-XXX so can't answer if you pick up your bag or not by default. You can always ask for it to be short checked to YVR.

Adam Smith Dec 31, 2019 10:25 am

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope (Post 31892977)
I never fly US-YVR-XXX so can't answer if you pick up your bag or not by default. You can always ask for it to be short checked to YVR.

Short checking would only be if checking the bag at check-in. As far as I'm aware, once they gate check, it's going all the way to the final destination, and I've heard people ask, numerous times, to have gate-checked bags available at a connection point, and be denied. Not to say it's impossible to short check at gate-check as I can't definitively state that it's impossible, but it certainly shouldn't be counted on.

OP, are you in Y or in J, and what size is your bag? If you're in J, you should have access to the closet to store your bag, especially if it conforms to AC's size limits (even if it won't quite fit in the bin). If you're bringing an oversize bag, bring a different bag or just check it. The CR9 bins suck and it's not worth the hassle. And if you're in Y, especially if you don't have status and will board towards the end, there's a good chance the bag will have to be gate checked. Or the only way to avoid a gate check may be to put it at your feet and put your smaller item in the overhead.

markolenski Dec 31, 2019 10:40 am

Originally Posted by markolenski (Post 31892960)
I have a flight I booked through United from San Diego to Vancouver on Air Canada then onto Tokyo on ANA. It looks like my regular wheeled carry on may not fit and I will need to gate check the bag. I don’t want it to be checked to Tokyo. Will I get the bag back at the jetway or will I pick it up at Vancouver baggage claim.

Thx I don’t want the bag going to Tokyo so I will short check the bag I have 5 hours to go to baggage claim so it will give me something to do.

canadiancow Dec 31, 2019 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 31893195)
Short checking would only be if checking the bag at check-in. As far as I'm aware, once they gate check, it's going all the way to the final destination, and I've heard people ask, numerous times, to have gate-checked bags available at a connection point, and be denied. Not to say it's impossible to short check at gate-check as I can't definitively state that it's impossible, but it certainly shouldn't be counted on.

OP, are you in Y or in J, and what size is your bag? If you're in J, you should have access to the closet to store your bag, especially if it conforms to AC's size limits (even if it won't quite fit in the bin). If you're bringing an oversize bag, bring a different bag or just check it. The CR9 bins suck and it's not worth the hassle. And if you're in Y, especially if you don't have status and will board towards the end, there's a good chance the bag will have to be gate checked. Or the only way to avoid a gate check may be to put it at your feet and put your smaller item in the overhead.

Last time I flew a CR9, the closet was reserved for row 1. Row 3 was not permitted to use it.