FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   CRJ-900 (CR9) seating and carry-on baggage information (2019 onwards) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2086985-crj-900-cr9-seating-carry-baggage-information-2019-onwards.html)

james dean Jan 26, 2020 1:49 pm

I don't mind the CRJ-900 in economy since it's 2X2, so no middle seat, yep leg room is fine in comparison to other narrow body's, overhead bin space is not as great though..

yyzgigi Jan 26, 2020 2:08 pm

The CRJ900 is pretty good other than the overhead bin size. If I’m in the back I will take 2x2 aircraft over 3x3 any time... 1x2 in J is even better. The E75 and E90 are a little better, but after they added the overs to the CRJ’s I’m

angusho Jan 26, 2020 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by james dean (Post 31997161)
I don't mind the CRJ-900 in economy since it's 2X2, so no middle seat, yep leg room is fine in comparison to other narrow body's, overhead bin space is not as great though..

Originally Posted by yyzgigi (Post 31997224)
The CRJ900 is pretty good other than the overhead bin size. If I’m in the back I will take 2x2 aircraft over 3x3 any time... 1x2 in J is even better. The E75 and E90 are a little better, but after they added the overs to the CRJ’s I’m

yeah, overhead space is horrendous on the CRJ900.. several passengers on my plane couldn't even fit their carry on bags in the bins.

SparseFlyer Jan 26, 2020 4:53 pm

The exit row gets really cold around my feet by hour 3.

And the condensation made the handle of the exit row drip towards the end of the flight.

King Chung Huang Jan 26, 2020 6:20 pm

I don't prefer it, but I haven't had any major issues flying the CRJ900 regularly for the 4 hour YYC–IAH flight.

Adam Smith Jan 26, 2020 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by angusho (Post 31997124)
Anyways just wondering if anyone prefers air canada's crj900 over large single isle jets when flying.

No. The only advantage of a CR9 (or CR7) vs a bigger narrowbody, in J, is that you can get a seat that's both an aisle and a window. In every other way, it's materially worse.

A CR9 is an upgrade over a CRJ or a DH4, but vs an E-Jet, 737, or 320, it's a definite downgrade.

Originally Posted by angusho (Post 31997425)
yeah, overhead space is horrendous on the CRJ900.. several passengers on my plane couldn't even fit their carry on bags in the bins.

Yes. Regulation bags that fit in the sizer don't always fit in the bins.

Originally Posted by King Chung Huang (Post 31997982)
I don't prefer it, but I haven't had any major issues flying the CRJ900 regularly for the 4 hour YYC–IAH flight.

Seriously? You don't have issues with the fact that, since it's an RJ, it's one of the first things IAH chooses to divert when weather hits the airport? The frequent tech stops on IAH-YYC? The checked baggage that often gets left behind on IAH-YYC? The terrible lavs, which one is much more likely to need on a 4-hour flight than on, say, a 1.5 to 2 hour flight?

angusho Jan 26, 2020 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 31998059)
No. The only advantage of a CR9 (or CR7) vs a bigger narrowbody, in J, is that you can get a seat that's both an aisle and a window. In every other way, it's materially worse.

A CR9 is an upgrade over a CRJ or a DH4, but vs an E-Jet, 737, or 320, it's a definite downgrade.

Yes. Regulation bags that fit in the sizer don't always fit in the bins.

Seriously? You don't have issues with the fact that, since it's an RJ, it's one of the first things IAH chooses to divert when weather hits the airport? The frequent tech stops on IAH-YYC? The checked baggage that often gets left behind on IAH-YYC? The terrible lavs, which one is much more likely to need on a 4-hour flight than on, say, a 1.5 to 2 hour flight?

Can you tell me what's the advantage of an 737 or a320 over the crj900 in y? Seems to me like 2-2 config with no middle seats is a pretty good advantage

Adam Smith Jan 26, 2020 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by angusho (Post 31998170)
Can you tell me what's the advantage of an 737 or a320 over the crj900 in y? Seems to me like 2-2 config with no middle seats is a pretty good advantage

I don't fly Y :)

angusho Jan 26, 2020 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 31998382)

Lucky you! :rolleyes:

RangerNS Jan 26, 2020 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 31998382)

Originally Posted by angusho (Post 31998435)
Lucky you! :rolleyes:

Ignore him.

You aren't getting the full PLH, Signature or International service anywhere the aircraft so configured fly where the regionals do anyway.

2x2 in Y is better. And 1x2 in J is better, even on the right side.

Not everyone flies direct Vancouver or Toronto to Tokyo. I fly on the regular on RJ distance routes and would invariably prefer the "smallest" jet that I can stand up in.
​​​

Adam Smith Jan 26, 2020 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS (Post 31998465)
Ignore him.

:rolleyes: You may not like my opinion, but it's sincere and grounded in plenty of experience. Disagree with me, fine, but no need to be a jerk about it.

2x2 in Y is better.
Last time I flew Y in the CR9, I was in a window seat and found it tremendously uncomfortable due to the curvature of the fuselage eating away at my shoulder room. I don't recall having that problem on any 320 products.

And 1x2 in J is better, even on the right side.
No, it's not. Crappy bins, tiny lavs lavs, low ceilings, etc, etc.

Not everyone flies direct Vancouver or Toronto to Tokyo.​​​
I certainly don't.

​​​

I fly on the regular on RJ distance routes and would invariably prefer the "smallest" jet that I can stand up in.​​
So do I. I've flown YYC<>IAH dozens of times on the CR9 (60? 70? I'm not quite sure), not to mention the odd mid-range route like YVR-SAN, YVR-YXY, plus a number short hops on things like YYC-YXE, YUL-LGA/BOS, etc. The Embraers are reasonably comfortable planes. Bins are decent, lavs are a bit cramped but a vast upgrade on the CR9.

A CR9 is an improvement over a DH4 in that it does at least have a J cabin and flies faster so you spend less time on it, but I find the E-Jets and any 737/320 to be a significantly better experience.

PilotTobe Jan 27, 2020 2:25 am

I agree that the CR9 is a pretty comfortable plane in both Y and J. J has a footrest whereas the E75/90 does not.

The plane can also fly faster and higher than any other narrowbody at mainline, meaning quicker flights and the ability to climb above occasional turbulence that may be lower!

fun fact did you know that the CRJ-900 is also longer than a 737-700 or A319!

james dean Jan 27, 2020 7:40 am

If your in the front of the CRJ-900 during take-off there is almost NO Jet engine noise just acceleration felt from take-off thrust....nice difference from the AirBus & ERJ
The advantage of Aircraft with rear engine Jet engines.

YXUFlyboy Jan 27, 2020 9:19 am

I find the E175s vastly superior to the CR9 for comfort in either class, and I've flown both Y and J on both. However, I agree with Adam it's much better than DH4, and especially CR2/CR1. I prefer the DH4 to those cramped coffins. Perhaps the Atmosphere cabins coming this year will be an improvement. AC prefers the CR9s due to the better economics, but most people prefer the E175s for comfort.

Stranger Jan 27, 2020 10:38 am

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy (Post 31999909)
I find the E175s vastly superior to the CR9 for comfort in either class, and I've flown both Y and J on both. However, I agree with Adam it's much better than DH4, and especially CR2/CR1. I prefer the DH4 to those cramped coffins. Perhaps the Atmosphere cabins coming this year will be an improvement. AC prefers the CR9s due to the better economics, but most people prefer the E175s for comfort.

In J I don't find the difference all that big. Plus, the EMBs are kind of falling apart. Like, at least on some EMBs, on the single seat side, even if one closes fully the air vents, there is very cold air leaking right over your head. At least in the first two rows.