Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada getting 26 A321 XLR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2022, 6:20 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by krayZpaving
4,700 nautical miles. And YVR-NRT is 4,062 nautical miles. So within range, but as I said about, it depends on winds, ETOPS and demand. And pre-Covid YVR-Japan was taking multiple widebodies a day. YVR-DUB at ~3,800nm is more likely for off season to make it a year round service. But I’d honestly be surprised if YVR sees any international flights with the 321XLR.
YVR-TYO is unlikely to switch away from being a wide body. AC has run YVR-KIX off and on both with mainline and Rouge. It could certainly return with the XLR (although unlikely at the moment).
krayZpaving likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 6:22 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
BOG is mainline 787/333 service from both YYZ and YUL.

Better a widebody than a 321 XLR.
BOG is also a pretty big cargo destination - so agree it would stay as a wide body. LIM would be a good candidate to come back with the XLR.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 6:44 am

Programs: AC 75K
I believe the quoted 4700nm max range is with the optional forward ACT which takes up the space of 2 baggage/cargo containers. It remains to be seen if AC will take up that option.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
4,700 nautical miles. And YVR-NRT is 4,062 nautical miles. So within range, but as I said about, it depends on winds, ETOPS and demand. And pre-Covid YVR-Japan was taking multiple widebodies a day. YVR-DUB at ~3,800nm is more likely for off season to make it a year round service. But I’d honestly be surprised if YVR sees any international flights with the 321XLR.
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
YVR-TYO is unlikely to switch away from being a wide body. AC has run YVR-KIX off and on both with mainline and Rouge. It could certainly return with the XLR (although unlikely at the moment).
It would be nice whether this plane or any other future plane will help AC expand its tpac network.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
BOG is also a pretty big cargo destination - so agree it would stay as a wide body. LIM would be a good candidate to come back with the XLR.
Like BOG, LIM is a huge cargo destination. Scheduled pax flights slated to return on October 30th w/A330.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

YYC-CDG to compete with WS. Smaller plane since not much connecting traffic?
Old Mar 25, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: AC*SEMM
Here is the map for YVR ... indeed ... Tokyo ... Seoul ... Madrid ... Paris ... Frankfurt ... Moscow A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
Seat19k likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 8:57 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Stranger
YYC-CDG to compete with WS. Smaller plane since not much connecting traffic?
Originally Posted by YUL_Around_The_World
Here is the map for YVR ... indeed ... Tokyo ... Seoul ... Madrid ... Paris ... Frankfurt ... Moscow A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
AGAIN, 4,700 nm is NOT a useful figure for determining what routes AC might fly. 4,700 nm assumes maximum fuel, which means a severely restricted payload, and optimal flying conditions (no winds, no ETOPS restrictions, etc). The USEFUL range, i.e. what AC might actually use it for, is SIGNIFICANTLY less.

Take a look at the Aer Lingus figures in this article (their config is similar to AC's). An estimate of the XLR's practical range for a TATL flight, in AC's configuration, is more like 3,785 in summer and 3,535 in winter. YVR-DUB is 3,881 nm. YYC-CDG is 3,987. Both are outside what the aircraft is likely capable of doing even in the summer. (And that's setting aside @ChrisA330's point about whether AC will even order the extra fuel tank that makes that max range possible)

This aircraft will be great for eastern Canada to Europe - hopefully it will take over thin routes like YUL-BOD from the 7M8, maybe it will allow for more frequent service on secondary routes like YOW-LHR, etc. Routes like YVR-PTY and YVR-BOG are possible, although I'm not sure the demand is there. And it will definitely give AC the ability to put premium service on thinner routes that currently just get narrowbodies, increase the proportion of lie-flats on existing routes (e.g. YYC/YVR-YYZ, or remember when they announced the 2nd daily YVR-EWR on a MAX? XLR might be a nice one there), etc.

It's possible that AC could schedule some routes that really push the aircraft's envelope, or that other operators' real-world performance could expand the plane's envelope beyond current estimates, but it's highly unlikely that we see AC running anything other than eastern Canada to Europe and flights within North America / northern South America with the XLR. I will happily put money on not seeing any YYC/YVR/YEG-Europe flights on AC XLRs before 2027.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
For those with access to PEP, the data is there to run flight plans with.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 3:49 pm

The other thing to keep in mind is that with lie-flat seats, AC is going to be looking to use this aircraft on routes with premium traffic that can't support a widebody aircraft. Some leisure routes do have premium traffic, but it will need to be more than just upgraders and people willing to pay a few hundred extra for J.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
The other thing to keep in mind is that with lie-flat seats, AC is going to be looking to use this aircraft on routes with premium traffic that can't support a widebody aircraft. Some leisure routes do have premium traffic, but it will need to be more than just upgraders and people willing to pay a few hundred extra for J.
Like all the existing PLH routes?

YUL/YYZ-SFO/LAX, YUL/YOW/YYZ-YYC/YEG/YVR ... am I missing any?
StuMcIlwain likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
I believe the quoted 4700nm max range is with the optional forward ACT which takes up the space of 2 baggage/cargo containers. It remains to be seen if AC will take up that option.
You sure that's the case also of the XLR, not just the LR?
Old Mar 25, 2022, 8:50 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Stranger
You sure that's the case also of the XLR, not just the LR?
Yes. The XLR has a permanent aft tank that replaces the LRs 2 aft tanks (but with greater volume, and less space), but the XLR still has an optional forward tank.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The other issue here is engines. I believe the data quoted correspond to the 321XLR with Leap A1 engines. however the Pratt ones likely have a better efficiency already. Also more growth potential, but that is not necessarily rlevant here.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada 50K - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Platinum
A bunch of possible A321XLR Routes AC has said could happen

Possible 321XLR Routes
WesternCDN likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.