Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Passing through GRU on the way to/from EZE (AC90/91, AC96/97)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passing through GRU on the way to/from EZE (AC90/91, AC96/97)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by bennyg2
Ok fellow travelers, lend me your wisdom.

I am about to return from a quick hop to EZE back to YTZ and I am not sure if I can purchase duty free.

I’m on Air Canada flights the entire way. EZE to GRU to YUL to YTZ.

When we arrive at GRU, are we subject to security screening again where we would have to give up liquids?
You cannot take liquids. This was explicitly told to me on my YYZ-(GRU)-EZE flight. It was the same aircraft for the GRU-EZE flight and the SD came to me and asked if I had any duty free I would like stored in the closet for that purpose.

The security process on the return is the same.

So no, don’t try to take alcohol through. It will be taken away.
Old May 1, 2022, 5:39 pm

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
You cannot take liquids. This was explicitly told to me on my YYZ-(GRU)-EZE flight. It was the same aircraft for the GRU-EZE flight and the SD came to me and asked if I had any duty free I would like stored in the closet for that purpose.

I just returned from my trip this am and can concur - each time you get off a flight you will pass through security (not customs) and no liquids are allowed. Even coming through YUL today, the person in front of me had to give up a bottle he bought, while going through transit area screening.

CC
Old May 1, 2022, 9:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium

EZE transit security had a clear bin of shame at the checkpoint: everyone else's duty free liquor (still in security sealed bags/bottles). The other passengers had to forfeit these items to pass through. Some very expensive bottles, not run of the mill college liquor.

I remember thinking to myself: clever idea: this must be how EZE duty free restocks their shelves.

Last edited by expert7700; May 1, 2022 at 10:28 pm
Old Aug 6, 2022, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond

So in GRU you have to deplane but do you get your luggage and recheck in? I am planning to deplane in GRU and get my luggage and not continue on to EZE.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 10:25 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
So in GRU you have to deplane but do you get your luggage and recheck in?
No, as is detailed in a bunch of posts upthread.

I am planning to deplane in GRU and get my luggage and not continue on to EZE.
You're going to have to ask to short-check your luggage. Whether AC will want to do that, who knows.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
No, as is detailed in a bunch of posts upthread.

You're going to have to ask to short-check your luggage. Whether AC will want to do that, who knows.

They will not since the final dest is EZE. Ok thanks
Old Aug 7, 2022, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finally booked YYZ-BOG(AC)-GRU(AV) all in business for $1500 each way.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Aug 7, 2022 at 3:10 pm
Old Feb 25, 2023, 7:05 pm

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
Booking EZE-GRU, GRU-YYZ separately (same plane)

For several reasons (no YQ out of Brazil, better ability to combine fares) booking GRU-YYZ/YYZ-EZE comes out substantially cheaper than EZE-YYZ/YYZ-EZE for my itinerary.

What would be the risks of booking EZE-GRU separately on the same day? (it is the same aircraft that continues to YYZ so there should be no risk of misconnecting). I assume AC would check luggage through since it's all on AC. Also, I don't think this would break any fare rules, but let me know if I'm mistaken. Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2023, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
For several reasons (no YQ out of Brazil, better ability to combine fares) booking GRU-YYZ/YYZ-EZE comes out substantially cheaper than EZE-YYZ/YYZ-EZE for my itinerary.

What would be the risks of booking EZE-GRU separately on the same day? (it is the same aircraft that continues to YYZ so there should be no risk of misconnecting). I assume AC would check luggage through since it's all on AC. Also, I don't think this would break any fare rules, but let me know if I'm mistaken. Thanks!
I don't think it breaks any rules, but I recently did YYZ-GRU-EZE and it's not the same plane. It's usually a 777 from YYZ and a 787 from YUL. The 787 continues on while the 777 turns back around to Toronto. I would say it was roughly a 50/50 split in J the passengers coming from my YYZ flight and from YUL. Maybe they'd hold the EZE flight in case of a delay on the YYZ arrival?

Last edited by YYZ_Guy; Feb 26, 2023 at 1:05 pm
Old Feb 25, 2023, 10:18 pm

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
Originally Posted by YYZ_Guy
I don't think it breaks any rules, but I recently did YYZ-GRU-EZE and it's not the same plane. It's usually a 777 from YVR and a 787 from YUL. The 787 continues on while the 777 turns back around to Toronto. I would say it was roughly a 50/50 split in J the passengers coming from my YYZ flight and from YUL. Maybe they'd hold the EZE flight in case of a delay on the YYZ arrival?
Thanks for the warning. It is still a single flight number so I think it should be pretty safe... Or I could book to YUL to be even safer.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 11:34 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I assume AC would check luggage through since it's all on AC.
Recent information in the relevant thread suggests that could be a dangerous assumption.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 1:05 pm

Thanks for the warning. It is still a single flight number so I think it should be pretty safe... Or I could book to YUL to be even safer.
I think you'll be OK either way. If the YYZ-GRU flight is late, I imagine they hold the plane in EZE as it's half the passengers. If the YUL flight is late, then everyone has to wait because that seems to be the plane that continues on. I believe my bag was checked all the way through, don't recall having to pick it up and re-check in GRU.

As an FYI, probably been said on here before, you can't bring liquids through GRU on your way to EZE (e.g. you can't buy duty free in Toronto and bring it with you all the way). They'll confiscate it in GRU as you have to go through a special security check.
iwillflytheworld likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 1:56 pm

Passed through GRU on the way to EZE in Nov and there's a sign at security that indicated passengers can carry maximum of 1L of liquid (duty free items).
Old Feb 26, 2023, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
Part of the year, the 787 from YUL continues from GRU to EZE, the other part of the year, the 777 from YYZ continues.

They hold the planes in GRU both ways to ensure connections.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 6:58 pm

Couldn't find an answer in the thread.

In May I will be on AC90 GRU-EZE arriving 14:30 and departing same day on AC91 EZE-GRU at 16:25.

Does anyone know what the EZE turn looks like? Will I go though the flight connection flow? If it's the same bird servicing both flights, I assume loitering at the gate or hiding in the lav (har) aren't allowed...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.