Departure Airport:
Miles Needed (SQM):
Segments Needed (SQS):
Dollars Needed (SQD):
Maximum Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:
Route(s) You've Already Searched:
  • For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
  • For Required Spend or Maximum Budget: DO NOT SAY "ANYTHING" OR "CHEAPEST" OR SIMILAR BECAUSE THAT IS NOT VERY HELPFUL - STATE THE DAMN VALUE PRETTY PLEASE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP
  • If you need both SQD AND SQM or SQS, then please indicate both in their respective line item. Don't hide your second SQD/M/S requirement in some other line.
  • If you are based in YYZ or YVR, there can be many good fares to China (PEK or PVG) on Star Alliance partners. If you have a Chinese visa, include that in your request and these options will be provided.

Information on SQM/SQS/SQD in General

If you need a refresher on what counts for SQM, SQD, etc, please consult this thread: Qualifying for Aeroplan Elite Status - overview/FAQ

Useful reference thread for SQM and SQD calculations: Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD

General Tips

A good starting point and general approach on finding that ideal mileage run is this article written by YOWgary : Mileage Run Tips
Print Wikipost

2022 Mileage Runs - Ideas & Plans

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2022, 12:27 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
2022 Mileage Runs - Ideas & Plans

Please use this thread to discuss mileage runs to achieve missing SQM, SQS, and SQD.

Please see the template in the wiki for the information to provide if you're looking for ideas on how to meet your SQx requirement.

This is NOT meant to be a general discussion of AC sales or cheap fares, for which we have other threads - please ensure there is a mileage/segment running context to your posts.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Feb 2, 2022 at 7:44 am
Old Feb 5, 2022, 1:24 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
good deal?

This is not so much as a request but an evaluation. As a new 25K member, I'm new to the world of MRs. Does this sound like a good deal?
YYC-YYZ in PY. $1450 base fare round trip. Earns 2086 SQM, 2 SQS, 1450 SQD, and 5000 Aeroplan points. During the "Keep Soaring" promo till April 30, I'd get double the SQx so a total of 4172 SQM, 4 SQS, and 2900 SQD. What's a typical "good" rate to pay for SQMs?
Thanks for your insights
Old Feb 5, 2022, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It really depends on how badly you need them, but it's a pretty rare year when I can't find paid J for under 10 US cents per SQM for a TATL trip or two.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 4:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by fbrdky
This is not so much as a request but an evaluation. As a new 25K member, I'm new to the world of MRs. Does this sound like a good deal?
YYC-YYZ in PY. $1450 base fare round trip. Earns 2086 SQM, 2 SQS, 1450 SQD, and 5000 Aeroplan points. During the "Keep Soaring" promo till April 30, I'd get double the SQx so a total of 4172 SQM, 4 SQS, and 2900 SQD. What's a typical "good" rate to pay for SQMs?
Thanks for your insights
You'd earn 2086 SQM one way, 4172 SQM return, with the 100% bonus it'd be 8344 SQM for the trip.

If you're willing to slum it in Y, you can get a Flex fare for ~$300 between YYC-YYZ.

From YYC for a same day turn at YYZ on April 23:
$189 SQD, 3338 SQM, 2 SQS, with the promo, that'd bring it to $378 SQD, 6676 SQM, 4 SQS

I might fly a few YYC-YYZ same day turns in April just for that.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 5:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Plat
YVR-YYZ-SJO-PTY in J one way is $1077 for a few days in April. That's 4751 miles base. Most of it in Dreamliners. YVR-YYC-YYZ-SJO-PTY is available too, but doesn't add many miles and costs you the pods.

But I can't find anything coming back for that price, all $2000+.

4751 miles is 7126 after 150% for J. If 100% bonus for this promo means a bonus of 7126, that would be 14253.

I wasn't looking at it as an MR, just noticed it because some family is going on a birthday vacation there and thought about joining them.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 1:50 am

Programs: AC SE, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy ambassador
Long-time reader. This forum is a great resource and thank you in advance. I am usually 75K, but due the CC promotion I reached SE for the first time. I have already qualified for 75K for 2023 due to rollover, but want to take advantage for rollover and Keep Soaring promo to hit SE for 2023. More specifically, I want to ask if it is feasible to earn 125K SQM from $10,500 SQD. This would get me SE for next year and a banked year of SE because of rollover/jump start gains.

Departure Airport (Base): YYC
Miles Needed (SQM): 125K
Segments Needed (SQS):N/A
Dollars Needed (SQD):$10,500
Required Spend or Maximum Budget): $12,000 (all fares booked in minimum of Flex)
Available Travel Dates: Flexible
Route(s) You've Already Searched:

- Tentatively booked YYC-DXB RT in third week of March in Latitude. $2,800 SQD. 21,435 SQM. Double that for the promo.

- Before promo ends, hoping to make one or two more domestic flights to net me (estimate) $1,600 SQD. 9,500 SQM. Includes promo.

That would leave me with ~ 76,500 SQM to attain from $6,100 SQD for the remainder of the year (Staring in May after promo ends).

Hope I posted in the right place. Hope it makes sense. Cheers.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 7:42 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
I am avoiding the outside Canada/ US trips as I do not want to do the mandatory PCR test and quarantine until your results are available crap. I know I can travel to the US and then travel from the US to Europe, under another passport and itinerary and Canada would not know, but I won't be on AC mental and I like to hit 2M.

I am doing flights YOW-YVR-HNL in PY ($1,250 for 125%) and the upgrade 4 credits and spend four days on the beach. Also burning some of my million Hilton Points, so expenses are low. After that 20% sale in Y I picked up a couple of YOW-YYZ-YVR-HNL-YYC-YOW for $650. I made it so that one night in HNL allows for only one PCR test to be used to enter the US and Canada twice to minimize costs. It's a flex fare so 10 credits for J.

I do hope Ottawa wakes up and eliminates these silly PCR tests and then its back to DXB and I like to do DOH.
HamptonIce likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Dia Amb
Originally Posted by HamptonIce
More specifically, I want to ask if it is feasible to earn 125K SQM from $10,500 SQD. This would get me SE for next year and a banked year of SE because of rollover/jump start gains.

Welcome to Flyertalk. There are lots of examples in this thread of flights in business class at the $0.1/SQM so you should be able to manage that fairly easily. Since you took advantage of the CC promo to get to SE, you've obviously got a premium card, don't forget to calculate the SQM you'll get through your regular monthly spending. The threads immediately before and after yours give pretty good ideas, but I'm sure others here will give you some good suggestions.
HamptonIce likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 1:21 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy ambassador
Originally Posted by Tax Dude
Welcome to Flyertalk. There are lots of examples in this thread of flights in business class at the $0.1/SQM so you should be able to manage that fairly easily. Since you took advantage of the CC promo to get to SE, you've obviously got a premium card, don't forget to calculate the SQM you'll get through your regular monthly spending. The threads immediately before and after yours give pretty good ideas, but I'm sure others here will give you some good suggestions.
Thank you. I will look for those threads.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
If segments are interesting, with the double aqm/aqs/aqd promo you can get 48 segments for about $2k on the west coast using flight passes. I thought about doing it and getting some skiing in, but realized my AQD would be way too low.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 3:29 pm

If the answer to my question in this thread is that I should try a run for SE status, then what's a good MR for $3.5k? My math, of course, is based on none of the trips being cancelled and FP expiry not being extended.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Feb 7, 2022 at 1:29 am Reason: Move off topic content to appropriate thread
Old Feb 7, 2022, 12:05 am

YVR Segment run

I am wondering if there are better alternatives for segment runs out of YVR with the current promo. I am 25k since 2020, first status on AC and would like to aim for 50k this year. I have an Infinite Privilege so hoping to make it to 35k and get a bump up.

Thought with the promo until April I could do on 2 Saturdays: YVR-Y(XX as in several options via YKA, YLW or YEG)-YYC-YQR-YYC-YVR. Doable in 12hrs for around $600. Twice gives me 20 segments for around $1,200, add in the 5 SQS promo and I am requalified. Have some business travel this year but don't know when, however a few times YYC and YEG are to be done which I can take to 4 SQS each. Penciled in is 1 trip each so 8 SQS until end of May.

Does that make sense or are there better ways?

Last edited by Adam Smith; Feb 7, 2022 at 1:22 am Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old Feb 7, 2022, 1:06 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Chris_DUS
I am wondering if there are better alternatives for segment runs out of YVR with the current promo.
With this being your first post, welcome to posting on FT

Last edited by Adam Smith; Feb 7, 2022 at 1:24 am Reason: Edit quoted post
Old Feb 7, 2022, 2:56 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
I made it so that one night in HNL allows for only one PCR test to be used to enter the US and Canada twice to minimize costs. It's a flex fare so 10 credits for J.

I do hope Ottawa wakes up and eliminates these silly PCR tests and then its back to DXB and I like to do DOH.
there are some excellent Hawaii fares form MR. luckily had a vacation already booked during the promo.

not sure what one night in HNL is allowing you to avoid unless you are doing two of these round trips in 72 hours. You will need an antigen test the day before travel to enter US/Hawaii under the current rules as Hawaii doesn’t require PCR anymore. Canada requires that your PCR test be done at your destination and won’t take one done in Canada prior to travel. Even if you could nest them to enter Canada twice within a 72 hour period i don’t think they would knowingly accept the same test being used twice for entry based on the intent of the new rule.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 6:54 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Dia Amb
Originally Posted by vancouver25k
If the answer to my question in this thread is that I should try a run for SE status, then what's a good MR for $3.5k? My math, of course, is based on none of the trips being cancelled and FP expiry not being extended.
Since you don't seem to need many SQM, it's just about spending the $3.5K, which is pretty easy! In the other thread, you mention you fly to LHR/DUB about every other month and refer to the additional fees to u/g TATL so I assume you're flying lower fare classes. A Western Canada Europe and NA pass in Latitude is approx $1,550/leg which would let you upgrade at the time of booking without fees. Maybe by switching to that product and fitting in a couple of trips to LHR during the promo period you'd meet all the requirements without having to do any additional flying and you'd get a quantifiable benefit from the extra spending.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.