Wiki Posts
Search

Merging tickets on two airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2022, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan E50k, MM
Merging tickets on two airlines

This isn't about FF, so sorry if this isn't allowed her, but people on these forums seem very knowledgeable so I thought they could answer my question.

This September I want to fly YYZ-CDG-BOD (BOD is Bordeaux, France) and return will just be CDG-YYZ. I ant to fly Premium Economy. I want to do YYZ-CDG (and back) on AC as I am an AC million miler so I have E75K status. The CDG-BOD leg would have to be on Air France and this is like a $90-150 flight. When I try to book it on the AC website it charges a $500 premium for YYZ-CDG-BOD compared to just YYZ-CDG. So I am going to book the CDG-BOD leg on Air France or Expedia or something like that for about $100. How do I get AC to then merge (if that is the correct term) the two reservations so that I can check my luggage straight through and they know that I have a connecting flight on another airline?
Old Jan 31, 2022, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by wayner92
How do I get AC to then merge (if that is the correct term) the two reservations so that I can check my luggage straight through and they know that I have a connecting flight on another airline?
There is no such thing as merging two PNRs. If they have an interline agreement with AF, you just have to show them the second reservation when you check in and they will interline the bags. If you, you will have to pick your bags up at your intermediate point and check them back in.

I know that United will not interline to a non-*A airline on a separate PNR, but I don't know if AC will or not.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Ok thanks, I could swear that in the past I had an award ticket on AC and an additional leg that I paid for and they did something to combine it.

How do I know if the bags can go straight through or if I have to pick them up in CDG to clear customs and then re-check? If that is the case then I will just go carry on as I don't want that hassle, and additional time.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 8:58 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Ok thanks, I could swear that in the past I had an award ticket on AC and an additional leg that I paid for and they did something to combine it.
They may have made a note on the file. That's all they can really do.

How do I know if the bags can go straight through or if I have to pick them up in CDG to clear customs and then re-check? If that is the case then I will just go carry on as I don't want that hassle, and additional time.
If AC tags your bags through to BOD when you drop them off, you're good. If not, you'll have to pick them up.

There's a whole thread on through checking bags on separate itineraries, so I'll suggest you consult that thread and continue discussion of this question there.
wayner92 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks Adam, I have continued the discussion in that thread.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 4:03 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Depending on the day YYZ-ZRH-BOD on AC and LX should price. The connection is longer at 4hrs most days (But not all) and probably less stressful than CDG on AC to AF interline
Old Jan 31, 2022, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
Depending on the day YYZ-ZRH-BOD on AC and LX should price. The connection is longer at 4hrs most days (But not all) and probably less stressful than CDG on AC to AF interline
I have been watching this for a week or more and the pricing has been screwed up. YYZ-BOD is $1385 on Premium Economy. YYZ-CDG is $907. $478 for a CDG-BOD flight in Economy? That makes no sense.

So today I bought the return flights to CDG and I will add the single leg from CDG-BOD on Air France separately for about $100. The connection is actually a bit tight at 95 minutes. But I bought my GF this exact itinerary ticketed completely on AC (she is going a week earlier) and the ticket for the YYZ-BOD was $1080 which makes sense.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 5:21 pm

I have been watching this for a week or more and the pricing has been screwed up. YYZ-BOD is $1385 on Premium Economy. YYZ-CDG is $907. $478 for a CDG-BOD flight in Economy? That makes no sense.

So today I bought the return flights to CDG and I will add the single leg from CDG-BOD on Air France separately for about $100. The connection is actually a bit tight at 95 minutes. But I bought my GF this exact itinerary ticketed completely on AC (she is going a week earlier) and the ticket for the YYZ-BOD was $1080 which makes sense.
if you are prepare to accept the worst case scenario in order to save a few bucks that's your choice.
here are the potential problems:
  1. agent at YYZ not wanting to interline for you (ie check all the way to BOD);
  2. miss connection (AF ticket being void and not protect on the next flight. AC being late is irrelevant and AC will not pay you for the missing AF flight. only relevant when both flights are issued on the same ticket.);
  3. even if AC checks your bag to BOD, AF might still collect baggage fee at the gate if you purchase a light fare;
  4. delay or missing bag (airlines might refuse to help, passing the buck to each other);

Last edited by aznfreak007; Jan 31, 2022 at 5:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.