Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One way vs round trip flight cost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2023, 10:23 am

My experience recently has been seeing almost double the price for round trip. Huge pain when trying to use priority rewards...
Old Aug 14, 2023, 10:32 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Depends on where you're flying.

PE tends to be less of a difference between one-way and return, regardless of route, but regular Economy can often cost nearly as much for a one-way trans-Atlantic as it does for a return on the same route, while Economy is usually closer to 50-50 on domestic routes.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 10:35 am

I'm looking to go YVR-DUB and can find it for 134k one way in business both directions, as soon as I look for it round trip it goes to 279k.

Makes the priority reward completely useless unfortunately.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 10:37 am

Also depends if it's cash or points and international or domestic?
Old Aug 14, 2023, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Domestic/NA, usually same except for taxes in many cases. Often worth checking both ways. For instance, if departing from AB to Quebec and back, two way ticket won't be subject to Quebec tax. While for two one way, the return, originating in Quebec, will.

International, usually, for paid tickets, round trip significantly cheaper. Except possibly for rewards, which, as far as miles are concerned, seem to price as two one way. But again, who knows, and taxes also may vary. May be worth checking. Then there is the issue of priority rewards, if applicable. Requires two for two one way.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 1:44 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by flyer.yvr
I'm looking to go YVR-DUB and can find it for 134k one way in business both directions, as soon as I look for it round trip it goes to 279k. Makes the priority reward completely useless unfortunately.
Have you tried searching as a multi-city?
Old Aug 14, 2023, 2:42 pm

I have yea. It's very strange.

Any other ideas I could try?
Old Aug 14, 2023, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
Domestic/NA, usually same except for taxes in many cases. Often worth checking both ways. For instance, if departing from AB to Quebec and back, two way ticket won't be subject to Quebec tax. While for two one way, the return, originating in Quebec, will.
for transborder, usually cheaper to book one-ways, at least than ex-US round trips. Think generally as long as the fares are the same (ie, where one-ways price as 1/2 roundtrip), it is mostly in taxes. My understanding is for a round-trip, HST is based on the entire ticket cost, while only the Canada-US one-way is subject to HST when booking separately. it’s not a whole lot - I’ve generally seen about ~25, maybe $30/person on my typical trips - but it adds up when flying, with say, a family of 4.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
for transborder, usually cheaper to book one-ways, at least than ex-US round trips. Think generally as long as the fares are the same (ie, where one-ways price as 1/2 roundtrip), it is mostly in taxes. My understanding is for a round-trip, HST is based on the entire ticket cost, while only the Canada-US one-way is subject to HST when booking separately. it’s not a whole lot - I’ve generally seen about ~25, maybe $30/person on my typical trips - but it adds up when flying, with say, a family of 4.
Might depend from which province, and initiating in Canada vs. US. AB has no provincial tax and I seem to recall that when checking at some point, from here it was cheaper to buy round trip. But it might even vary from case to case, and that was a while ago.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
That is consistent with my bookings ex-California to BC - enough cheaper that I do it when I remember, but if I don't it's not a huge deal.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 9:51 am

In my experience this is where Google Flights comes in handy. If two one-ways are less expensive than a return, it will split-ticket and price accordingly.
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 1:40 pm

I spoke to an agent last night who said she sees this regularly with flights originating in Canada or elsewhere.

DUB to YVR and return got the lower price, but YVR to DUB and return got the higher price.

She couldn't explain why or any work arounds but some info for the future.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by flyer.yvr
DUB to YVR and return got the lower price, but YVR to DUB and return got the higher price.
TATL and TPAC flights this is normal and expected. During COVID the difference was extreme and people were going nuts with this. But it's always been the case that flights across the atlantic are priced very differently depending on origin.

But within North America it's a bit surprising since most flights since a decade or two ago have been priced as one-way fares and just summed together. Not 100% though. Some airlines have been experimenting with some discounted fares that are only available when booked as part of a return but that's the exception and I don't think AC was one of them hence the question in this thread.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 7:41 pm

One way tix.versus return

Looking at some one way tix from Delhi to Toronto for my wife who had to leave for an emergency in December from Toronto. The one ways are more expensive than a return ticket. What if I buy a return ticket from January 8th to February 17th or whatever date going back but she obviously doesn't go back. Can I cancel the return for $150. Still be saving about $400.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 7:53 pm
zam

You can just not fly the return if that is cheaper.
rakeshs_ca and billdokes like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.