Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is is possible to skip final leg on journey booked using Worldwide Companion Pass?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is is possible to skip final leg on journey booked using Worldwide Companion Pass?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 35K

Can I book YVR-YUL-CDG and then ten days later return as CDG-YUL-YVR using my Worldwide Companion Pass and skip the last flight from YUL to YVR?

We'd like a week or so in Montreal on the way home.

I wouldn't be asking for any refund and we'd book a pair of one way tickets from YUL to YVR a week or so later.

Does this constitute "Hidden City"? Any ramifications?
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I'd price out YYZ-YUL RT (all cash) and also YUL-CDG RT (cash + pass) and see how that compares vs your plan. You may be able to avoid either trying to get a rule exception or risking problems with your workaround.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JayArr
Does this constitute "Hidden City"?
Yes.

Originally Posted by JayArr
Any ramifications?
It depends on whether they think you've "stolen" any money by doing it. Why are you doing it? What's the gain? Does the companion pass not allow multi-city? If that's the case, AC may view it as you stealing an entire ticket, in which case, I'd be very cautious.
expert7700 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:42 am
Original Poster

The Companion Pass does not allow multi-city but the big difference is that I cannot book a return flight from CDG to YUL without going through YYZ using the companion pass.

Companion Pass = YUL-CDG, then ten days later CDG-YYZ-YUL, I would also need round trip YVR to YUL tickets to bracket the European trip and leave time in Montreal.

If I Use the Companion Pass from YVR I get YVR-YUL-CDG and on return I get the direct flight CDG-YUL-YVR (no YYZ)

It really doesn't make sense that I can have the direct flight from CDG to YUL in one case but not the other.

The price ends up about the same so no real financial gain or loss.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Well, the possibility of them denying you access to any future benefits, if not outright banning you from the airline, is >0.

Regardless of what you think makes sense or not, airline routing rules/price magic is something beyond worrying about. I don't see the companion pass rules being ambiguous (it does says "round trip" clearly). I would not hesitate even an instant if the only down side to doing everything on the up and up is a layover in YYZ. On a 17+ day trip something like 3 hours seems a rounding error to me, but you do you.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 10:42 am
Original Poster

You make perfect sense Ranger, it's not worth the possible losses.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 11:39 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
The T&C say "round trip", but "round trip" revenue fares typically permit open jaws. Since things don't always work the way AC lays them out in the T&C, I wonder whether one could book an open jaw with the Companion Pass, although it might require a phone call. In this case, that would mean YVR-CDG-YUL (ignoring connections), then buying a separate ticket for YUL-YVR.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
There are lots of things a phone agent can do that the website can't.

I haven't spent much time with this specific fare type, but as Adam says, multi city may not be impossible. The TATL rules are usually satisfied by nearly any pairing that crosses that ocean once each way.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YOWgary
There are lots of things a phone agent can do that the website can't.

I haven't spent much time with this specific fare type, but as Adam says, multi city may not be impossible. The TATL rules are usually satisfied by nearly any pairing that crosses that ocean once each way.
Are you thinking multi-city in the sense of being able to do the stopover for free at YUL, or just in terms of open jaw? I'm not convinced either is possible, but I suspect the latter has a much higher likelihood than the former.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Are you thinking multi-city in the sense of being able to do the stopover for free at YUL, or just in terms of open jaw?
I mean YVR-FRA // LHR-YYT is a valid TATL pairing, so an open-jaw YVR-CDG-YUL should be valid.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I'm not convinced either is possible, but I suspect the latter has a much higher likelihood than the former.
I agree.
LWkitty likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People feel unwell and interrupt journey all the time. Especially these days.
As long as you don't feel unwell weekly on Fridays for example..
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary
I mean YVR-FRA // LHR-YYT is a valid TATL pairing, so an open-jaw YVR-CDG-YUL should be valid.
My thinking as well. But we have little to no real-world experience with these passes so far, so hopefully someone who has one will dig in to it a bit.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:12 pm

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
Another risk you take with booking a connection with a final leg that you don't intend to take, is in case of IRROPS, the airline is only obligated to get you to your final ticketed destination. That could include a rerouting from CDG to YVR that includes a completely different connection city.
YOWgary likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.