Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada CEO apologizes, commits to learning French as backlash in Quebec grows

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada CEO apologizes, commits to learning French as backlash in Quebec grows

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2021, 10:06 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Can the board of AC now demand minimum competency levels from cabinet ministers?
You mean like financial literacy?
Symmetre and bambinomartino like this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Sopwith
I would say as a human.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Sopwith
That would be nice but, at the very least, competency in both official languages.

Logic dictates that they should be held to the same standard that they demand of others in this context.

How many of them are functionally bilingual?
Old Nov 9, 2021, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by yulred
That likely depends on whether you are restricting bilingualism to Canada's two official languages or whether you are willing to accept other languages that make up the mosaic of modern Canada.

While I would be delighted if all Canadians could read and speak both official languages. it would probably be more useful for the MP of say Richmond Centre to be functional in Cantonese or Mandarin than French.
https://www.richmond.ca/__shared/......guages6251.pdf
Old Nov 9, 2021, 8:10 am

Programs: AC SE
That would be nice but, at the very least, competency in both official languages.

Logic dictates that they should be held to the same standard that they demand of others in this context.

The representative of the head of state of Canada does not even speak French. These situations happen everywhere, at every level. One shouldn't be surprised that there's backlash from the Francophone community in this country when mastery of the French language is treated as a secondary, unnecessary and non-value adding skill. But we're getting dangerously close to being off topic - we may already be, actually, but I'll let the mods settle that debate.
YUL likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 8:21 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS

What other Canadian private company, with an international presence, expects their CEO to be bilingual?
LETTERBOY and yyztozag like this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 8:45 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Now it is being reported that Chrystia Freeland says learning to speak French should become part of Air Canada CEO Michael Rousseau’s performance review.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...s-performance/

How remarkable that the federal government feels entitled to dictate employment terms to a publicly-owned company. Me thinks Ms Freeland's hat has grown a bit too tight.
yyztozag likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Now it is being reported that Chrystia Freeland says learning to speak French should become part of Air Canada CEO Michael Rousseau’s performance review.

How remarkable that the federal government feels entitled to dictate employment terms to a publicly-owned company. Me thinks Ms Freeland's hat has grown a bit too tight.
And again - a violation of rights guaranteed by Canadian Charter.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by jasdou
The representative of the head of state of Canada does not even speak French. These situations happen everywhere, at every level. One shouldn't be surprised that there's backlash from the Francophone community in this country when mastery of the French language is treated as a secondary, unnecessary and non-value adding skill. But we're getting dangerously close to being off topic - we may already be, actually, but I'll let the mods settle that debate.
Without commenting on the non-aviation aspects of all of that, I’ll just point out that the government is demanding that the head of an ostensibly private corporation be bilingual, when that isn’t a requirement for cabinet ministers.

Ergo, it’s a fair and relevant question given their own intervention on how AC is, or should be, run.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 11:17 am
YUL

Programs: SPG Gold / IHG Spire / Emerald Executive Elite
Again, Air Canada CEO's were never req'd to speak french on the get go. Just showing a willingness to learn french prevented those PR difficulties (well, disasters).

Robert Milton, Monty Brewer, Harris etc managed well the PR side of this.

And they also sometime faced loaded questions from some reporters, and answered/or evaded them w/o any difficulties.

That could have been prevented 100%.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: AC SE
Without commenting on the non-aviation aspects of all of that, I’ll just point out that the government is demanding that the head of an ostensibly private corporation be bilingual, when that isn’t a requirement for cabinet ministers.

Ergo, it’s a fair and relevant question given their own intervention on how AC is, or should be, run.
I think we are mostly in agreement. However AC's status and obligations are unique and defined in the ACPPA. The company simply cannot be considered equivalent to any other private corporation - even if having a CEO that can speak both official languages of Canada isn't an explicit requirement.
YUL and Transpacificflyer like this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 11:53 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by RangerNS
What other Canadian private company, with an international presence, expects their CEO to be bilingual?
A company that wishes to succeed does require that some of its senior management have a capability of understanding the market in which they operate. AC has a significant presence in the French language speaking parts of Canada and the world. A large part of targeted AC growth markets speak a common language - French. Specifically, North Africa and Central Africa.

The difference is that the Gov. General has made a distinct effort to speak the language of the people she represents. Her boss is pretty good in French too. The issue was the CEO's attitude and dismissive tone. A humble and wise man would have said shucks, I am working on it and not made comments that were sure to provoke a reaction.

Minister Freeland speaks 5 languages some of which are difficult, so not the right person to criticize in that regard. And yes, she had a point. As is pointed out elsewhere, AC has the basis with which to have the expectation that a senior executive have some basic knowledge of the two languages at least to the extent that he would not create a PR fiasco.

Originally Posted by garykung
And again - a violation of rights guaranteed by Canadian Charter.
Nope.
YUL, arf04 and jasdou like this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 11:57 am

I think we are mostly in agreement. However AC's status and obligations are unique and defined in the ACPPA. The company simply cannot be considered equivalent to any other private corporation - even if having a CEO that can speak both official languages of Canada isn't an explicit requirement.
We probably are.

That said, it still begs a rather obvious question: if AC wasn’t subject to ACPPA and still maintained an office/CEO in Montreal (for any number of reasons), would this speech have been an issue or not?

I’m inclined to believe that it would be; I don’t think the folk who were outraged, were outraged on the basis of non-compliance with an unwritten but implied requirement for CEOs to be bilingual under ACPPA. That would assume a much higher level of sophistication than the loaded questions that started this, and the swift and unthinking personal character assassination suggest.

That aside, it stands to reason that the folk responsible for governing an officially bilingual nation, should be bilingual themselves, so ACPPA or no ACPPA, that line of reasoning still holds.
Dave510 and jasdou like this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 12:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton

Oh my. They really can't stop meddling .
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
A company that wishes to succeed does require that some of its senior management have a capability of understanding the market in which they operate. AC has a significant presence in the French language speaking parts of Canada and the world. A large part of targeted AC growth markets speak a common language - French. Specifically, North Africa and Central Africa.
AC also has significant presence in Spanish, German and Chinese markets. The CEO is going to have to be quite linguist.
yyztozag likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.