FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Air Canada CEO apologizes, commits to learning French as backlash in Quebec grows (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2057884-air-canada-ceo-apologizes-commits-learning-french-backlash-quebec-grows.html)

24left Nov 4, 2021 8:58 am

Air Canada CEO apologizes, commits to learning French as backlash in Quebec grows

Um.....

tcook052 Nov 4, 2021 9:05 am

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ench-1.6236690

Air Canada CEO Michael Rousseau has apologized and committed to improving his French amid heavy backlash by federal and Quebec officials, including the premier today, who called Rousseau's comments on Wednesday shocking and disrespectful.

On Wednesday, the CEO delivered a 26-minute speech at the Palais des congrès in Montreal, during which he only spoke French for about 20 seconds. After the speech, Rousseau was asked in French by a journalist for Quebec TV news channel LCN how he's managed to live in Montreal for so long despite speaking little French.

NordsFan Nov 4, 2021 9:37 am

Meanwhile, over in Paris.....

DrunkCargo Nov 4, 2021 10:32 am

Apology almost as awkward as "If you look at my work schedule, you'd understand why." I guess it's time to look at his compensation schedule... this appears to be an admission the work is overwhelming his abilities.

Sopwith Nov 4, 2021 10:39 am

I would actually prefer that he spend his time making the customer experience better rather than learning French.

DrunkCargo Nov 4, 2021 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Sopwith (Post 33701745)
I would actually prefer that he spend his time making the customer experience better rather than learning French.

I'd think to do this, he first has to conquer English. I think the words that landed him in hot water were not in French. Pretty difficult to earn trust with the ranks, critical to customer experience, if he can't speak publically in any language effectively. But, maybe he's good enough for Air Canada. ;)

hoipolloi Nov 4, 2021 11:04 am

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 33701428)
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ench-1.6236690

Air Canada CEO Michael Rousseau has apologized and committed to improving his French amid heavy backlash by federal and Quebec officials, including the premier today, who called Rousseau's comments on Wednesday shocking and disrespectful.

On Wednesday, the CEO delivered a 26-minute speech at the Palais des congrès in Montreal, during which he only spoke French for about 20 seconds. After the speech, Rousseau was asked in French by a journalist for Quebec TV news channel LCN how he's managed to live in Montreal for so long despite speaking little French.

https://twitter.com/AirCanada/status...626888717?s=20

He kept a dig his statement against Quebec's "French only" politicians by saying French is an official language in Canada and adding that French is the common language in Quebec, stopping short of saying that it is "THE official language in Quebec".

canadiancow Nov 4, 2021 12:30 pm

"The fact that this iconic company is headquartered in Montreal is a source of pride for me and our entire executive team."

Really? Don't most of the execs work out of Toronto? Ben Smith only had a Toronto office. Calin had both. I'd be curious to know where Michael's is/are.
I'm pretty sure Mark Nasr and his entire team are in Toronto.

jasdou Nov 4, 2021 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Sopwith (Post 33701745)

It shouldn't be mutually exclusive.

Stranger Nov 4, 2021 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by NordsFan (Post 33701536)

I am impressed. For someone who learnt French at his age, is accent is actually quite good. Very impressed.

ChrisA330 Nov 4, 2021 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 33702072)
"The fact that this iconic company is headquartered in Montreal is a source of pride for me and our entire executive team."

Really? Don't most of the execs work out of Toronto? Ben Smith only had a Toronto office. Calin had both. I'd be curious to know where Michael's is/are.

I'd argue that the only reason they have their HQ still in Montreal is because their required to according to Federal Legislation (ACPPA).

The Lev Nov 4, 2021 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 33701428)

What he probably really wanted to say was it's none of the government's business what language he speaks and if theirs noses are so out of joint, he will gladly leave AC's notional head office in Montreal to satisfy legislative restrictions but decamp to Toronto with the rest of the executive team where nobody worries about what language people do or do not speak and understand.

Originally Posted by jasdou (Post 33702078)
It shouldn't be mutually exclusive.

Have you tried learning a new language as an adult?

Stranger Nov 4, 2021 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev (Post 33702366)
What he probably really wanted to say was it's none of the government's business what language he speaks and if theirs noses are so out of joint, he will gladly leave AC's notional head office in Montreal to satisfy legislative restrictions but decamp to Toronto with the rest of the executive team where nobody worries about what language people do or do not speak and understand.

Regardless of the merits of the issue proper, at the very least he showed incredibily poor judgement. Did he never figure out how sensitive this issue can be?

I would go as far as having doubts as to his suitability for his job.

Have you tried learning a new language as an adult?
We all know it's not necessarily easy. But people do. ( I learned one totally new additional language at 25, and although I had some knowledge of English back from high school I really started to live in English in my late thirties.)

As I mentioned above, I am amazed at how well Ben Smith is doing, accentwise. Accentwise being the truly hard part of the issue for adults.

Transpacificflyer Nov 4, 2021 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 33702072)

Several AC executives have a home in Montreal. They are active in charitable causes and are featured in the media. Montreal has always had a robust legal office. Calin was a traveler, but his home was in Montreal. He was known for his running group on Mt.Royal.
Despite the attempt to exploit this for political reasons, the issue here is due in large part to Rousseau's bungling of the issue. PM Harper may not have been the best French speaker, but he managed it well, made an effort, and he was respected for it. That's what's upset some people - the lack of sincerity and smugness. Rousseau didn't make an effort.
The airline has much of the Quebec market and has growth plans for Quebec. This won't help. On the other hand, most people have turned off current events and pay no attention to the news so I will be surprised if much of the population has even heard of mike rousseau or knows what he does. He is more likely to be confused with a hockey player for a prairie farm team than an airline executive.

As an aside, because of this language distraction, coverage of the important comments on the growth and recovery plans were ignored. Some rather important policy/strategy changes were announced.

yulred Nov 4, 2021 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 33702434)
Regardless of the merits of the issue proper, at the very least he showed incredibily poor judgement. Did he never figure out how sensitive this issue can be?

I would go as far as having doubts as to his suitability for his job.

We all know it's not necessarily easy. But people do. ( I learned one totally new additional language at 25, and although I had some knowledge of English back from high school I really started to live in English in my late thirties.)

As I mentioned above, I am amazed at how well Ben Smith is doing, accentwise. Accentwise being the truly hard part of the issue for adults.

In fairness, his job is to run an airline. He was selected solely on the basis of his ability to do that, not on his thoughts on issues that are utterly irrelevant to running an airline. This language issue is a political issue; he is not a politician or a public figure. I don’t think his responses are a reflection of his unsuitability for running AC.

As “sensitive” as this issue is, it’s a reality that Canada has two official languages, and he spoke in one of them. Now, if he’d spoken in, say, Icelandic, it would warrant criticism, but the fact is that he didn’t - he spoke in an official language of Canada, in Canada. If that’s causing heartburn for anyone, that’s their problem, not his.

At some point, we need to be clear about what kind of people we want occupying certain roles: the best candidate, or the best bilingual candidate. I don’t know about y’all but if I’m going in for a surgery or getting onto an airplane, my mind is pretty clear: I want the best surgeon or pilot at the helm, not the best bilingual one. The bilingual bit has no bearing.

As for people leaving AC over this…who’re they going to fly instead? TS?