Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New automated carry-on baggage sizers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New automated carry-on baggage sizers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2021, 7:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
at least no weight limit.. I have tend to pack my carry-on very heavy with documents and such.
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../carry-on.html

My Monos rigid is 22" and they better let mw in with it, I love this suitcase and will not chnage it for <0.5"
Old Oct 25, 2021, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Definitas
I was treated like a criminal at YYZ last week. My carry on failed the electronic scan twice and I was told to go to a manned desk to check it in. I refused saying it is within the size limit and fits in a metal size crate. The lady said she is being filmed by CCTV and is unable to help me. The man on the desk asked me to place my bag in the metal cage sizer and it fitted and he said take it with me and just ignore her. She then blocked my exit and the agent came out from behind the desk and managed to get the scanner to work. He said they are a complete PITA and give nothing but trouble. We had already paid to check one carry on due to mobility issues so only had one between us as it was. In the current climate flying is bad enough without added stress. This was my first AC flight and will now also be my last.
Thanks for this.

Nobody here has given the advantages of the electronic scanners over the metal bracket thingies... perhaps aside from extra revenue for AC.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I was treated like a criminal at YYZ last week. My carry on failed the electronic scan twice and I was told to go to a manned desk to check it in. I refused saying it is within the size limit and fits in a metal size crate. The lady said she is being filmed by CCTV and is unable to help me. The man on the desk asked me to place my bag in the metal cage sizer and it fitted and he said take it with me and just ignore her. She then blocked my exit and the agent came out from behind the desk and managed to get the scanner to work. He said they are a complete PITA and give nothing but trouble. We had already paid to check one carry on due to mobility issues so only had one between us as it was. In the current climate flying is bad enough without added stress. This was my first AC flight and will now also be my last.
I find this really sad.

It seems we're back with a new edition of the AC Bag Police, featuring a new measurement tool. Who among us (old and new members) can forget these 2 epic threads.

Oh no, the carryon baggage police are coming!

AC in "crack down" on carry-on bags

So here we are, a new decade, a new bag thing, and this time it seems to be "size that matters".
Old Oct 25, 2021, 4:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Mobility issues? (Supposedly) oversized carry-on? So she physically blocked your exit? That’s mean and provocative. She’s lucky that she was dealing with you and not a hot-headed drunk guy, otherwise things would taken a different turn.
yyznomad likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
There are things I like about AC, but this is one of those things that needs some rectifying.
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why having these electronic sizers are better for everyone. At least it's potential extra revenue for AC.

I'm also curious if there is a measurement buffer, and if so, what that buffer is. If there is a "reasonable" buffer in place, then this might be ok.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 1:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
There are things I like about AC, but this is one of those things that needs some rectifying.
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why having these electronic sizers are better for everyone. At least it's potential extra revenue for AC.

I'm also curious if there is a measurement buffer, and if so, what that buffer is. If there is a "reasonable" buffer in place, then this might be ok.
These devices are evil. The software developers and engineers who developed these devices clearly intended to remove ambiguity in the sizing of carry on baggage to the detriment of the traveling public. Ambiguity when used in our favor is good. Add on that the increased workload being placed on the poor AC agents who are now forced to interact with the traveling public as they check in their carry on baggage.

Thankfully the government has establish rules to govern such endeavors:

------

Inaccurate Device? It Needs To Be Fixed!

Any weighing or measuring device found to be inaccurate — whether it's in the favour of the buyer or the seller — will need to be repaired. Depending on the degree of inaccuracy, you may be required to take the defective device out of service until the necessary repairs can be made.

There are many service companies that can repair weighing and measuring devices. Those that are Authorized Service Providers can also inspect and certify devices, and affix a government sticker immediately after the device has been brought back into compliance.

Under the Weights and Measures Act and the Electricity and Gas Inspection Act, weighing and measuring devices — including scales, gasoline dispensers and large petroleum meters — used for trade in Canada must meet stringent standards.
https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/mc-mc....g/lm03959.html
----

Do they have a clear sticker on them showing they are calibrated and legal for used in trade in Canada. If not they should simply be ignored.
Davvidd likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 6:57 am

Programs: AC Altitude 35K, AA, Marriott Silver Elite, NEXUS
I already had the red and white approved bag tag but still got singled out to use the new system....when I pointed it out to the weighing dragon she shrugged and told me to put it on...after 3-4 minutes of fiddling I got the green check mark (now 30 pax behind me)...she attached a 2nd tag and I smart assedly said "oh good now I have 2!".......all I got was a loud "Next".....boy they are good are pissing us off.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 7:28 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
Well, if there are 30 pax behind, and you make a smart arsed comment, and I guess the agent is having a tricky day on account of the new system, I am not surprised that she was brusque.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 4:27 am

H&M international

Over the next year I’ll be making about half a dozen trips between the UK and Toronto - in economy and with no current status. My B&R Baseline Domestic carry on doesn’t seem like it will pass the automated sizers, so thinking about getting the International version (2 wheel or 4 wheel). The published sizes appear to be fine for AC, but luggage companies are not always accurate with measurements. Has anyone with one of those cases had it through the sizer successfully? I don’t want to pay £500 and then find it still gets checked.

Thanks
Old Oct 29, 2021, 11:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by Fiordland
These devices are evil. The software developers and engineers who developed these devices clearly intended to remove ambiguity in the sizing of carry on baggage to the detriment of the traveling public. Ambiguity when used in our favor is good. Add on that the increased workload being placed on the poor AC agents who are now forced to interact with the traveling public as they check in their carry on baggage.

Thankfully the government has establish rules to govern such endeavors:

------

Inaccurate Device? It Needs To Be Fixed!

Any weighing or measuring device found to be inaccurate — whether it's in the favour of the buyer or the seller — will need to be repaired. Depending on the degree of inaccuracy, you may be required to take the defective device out of service until the necessary repairs can be made.

There are many service companies that can repair weighing and measuring devices. Those that are Authorized Service Providers can also inspect and certify devices, and affix a government sticker immediately after the device has been brought back into compliance.

Under the Weights and Measures Act and the Electricity and Gas Inspection Act, weighing and measuring devices — including scales, gasoline dispensers and large petroleum meters — used for trade in Canada must meet stringent standards.
https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/mc-mc....g/lm03959.html
----

Do they have a clear sticker on them showing they are calibrated and legal for used in trade in Canada. If not they should simply be ignored.
I would sort of understand if they were BSing no status Y pax with oversized bags on a full flight, but asking SEs in J to measure their clearly legal carry-on is just ridiculous.
mathemagic likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by yyztozag
I would sort of understand if they were BSing no status Y pax with oversized bags on a full flight, but asking SEs in J to measure their clearly legal carry-on is just ridiculous.
I do not mind if IATA comes out says this is the standard size that should fit and all the manufacturers would then have the same size. I would understand having a maximum weight too but as you say this is ridiculous.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 5:24 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I just went thru security at YQM and they had none of these new fangled items. Did not have to go thru security at YYZ since is an international connections and no one checked. So far so good but I wonder what would happen on my return flight?
yyznomad likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Davvidd
I just went thru security at YQM and they had none of these new fangled items. Did not have to go thru security at YYZ since is an international connections and no one checked. So far so good but I wonder what would happen on my return flight?
Well, keep us posted on the return experience!
Old Nov 7, 2021, 1:08 am

Programs: AC35K, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by GlaMan
Over the next year I’ll be making about half a dozen trips between the UK and Toronto - in economy and with no current status. My B&R Baseline Domestic carry on doesn’t seem like it will pass the automated sizers, so thinking about getting the International version (2 wheel or 4 wheel). The published sizes appear to be fine for AC, but luggage companies are not always accurate with measurements. Has anyone with one of those cases had it through the sizer successfully? I don’t want to pay £500 and then find it still gets checked.

Thanks
Sorry, a week late in responding but I was one of the "lucky" ones to get stopped at YYZ Domestic before going through security to put my B&R Baseline International 2 wheel through the new sizer. It failed the first time I put it on the sizer but I told the person it's definately within regulation. They rejigged it and got the green check mark the second time around.

If it were the Domestic version of the bag, you might be SOL in my opinion but YMMV.
GlaMan likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jer3
Sorry, a week late in responding but I was one of the "lucky" ones to get stopped at YYZ Domestic before going through security to put my B&R Baseline International 2 wheel through the new sizer. It failed the first time I put it on the sizer but I told the person it's definately within regulation. They rejigged it and got the green check mark the second time around.

If it were the Domestic version of the bag, you might be SOL in my opinion but YMMV.
Can you expound on how or what they did to rejig it?
Do you know what may have caused it to fail the first time? Like there was a part protruding out by 5mm causing the device to fartlick it's own butt?
Did you use the fast track security lane or regular security lane?

Last edited by yyznomad; Nov 7, 2021 at 10:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.