Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Cheap Latitude fares ex-Europe (2021 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap Latitude fares ex-Europe (2021 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2021, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by pilot007
Booked some family on these fares for the upcoming weeks. With the Omicron variant a risk, we’d like to change the flights to an earlier date. Any concerns with calling AC to make a change, and would the fare be recalculated at a far higher price, or is it that if there’s B space available then no fare difference to collect?
Recalculated.
pilot007 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 2:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Recalculated.
And in the case of a change to the inbound flight, then I should be fine since it's calculated based on the historical fares at the time of booking (at least that's what the rules state)? So it's only the outbound change which will incur a higher fare if changed today, but if I change the return flight then I should be fine, right (provided that the new date falls within the originally applicable dates for the fare)?
Old Dec 22, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Slightly off-topic, but is it possible to figure out in advance how this would be calculated?

ie I'm looking at LHR to SFO roundtrip, latitude on LHR => SFO is $900 and SFO => LHR is $700. If I fly LHR to SFO and have to cancel the return (let's say, Lufthansa opens up a First Class seat or something), could I expect to get that $700 CAD back, or, are you saying that what the LHR => SFO one-way price (in Latitude) would have been would be deducted from the ~$1600, likely leaving nothing behind?
Old Dec 22, 2022, 5:44 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
Slightly off-topic, but is it possible to figure out in advance how this would be calculated?

ie I'm looking at LHR to SFO roundtrip, latitude on LHR => SFO is $900 and SFO => LHR is $700. If I fly LHR to SFO and have to cancel the return (let's say, Lufthansa opens up a First Class seat or something), could I expect to get that $700 CAD back, or, are you saying that what the LHR => SFO one-way price (in Latitude) would have been would be deducted from the ~$1600, likely leaving nothing behind?
Generally if you cancel the inbound after flying the outbound and request a refund, they will calculate what you flew based on historical fares when you booked (i.e. LHRSFO oneway fare) and if base any residual off of that amount.

Another option would be just to cancel the booking but retain the value in the ticket. You could then rebook SFOLHR to a new date later using the roundtrip fares from when you bought the ticket, generally as long as this is within 12 months of flying the outbound.
18wheeler_vanrekt likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 3:18 am

Latitude ex-Europe

Playing with some latitude fares ex-Europe.

DUB-YVR-FRA prices out to >$8000 vs <$2000 for DUB-YVR-DUB.
So I book the latter. Then I try to change the inbound from DUB to FRA, and I am unable to make that change - I keep getting "We can’t seem to find flights that match your search criteria. [...]"

I was able to do exactly this last week with another booking. Fare basis are the same (BLTFDLLT).

Temporary glitch or did something change with latitude fares?
Old Jan 3, 2023, 8:42 am

Something seems to have changed recently as I noticed this ($8K vs 2K when open jaw on the EU end) in recent weeks as well. It almost seems like these special fares are not eligible for open jaw bookings anymore as they had been up until now. But it's very hard to find the fare rules since they aren't viewable on ExpertFlyer. And last time I tried to change one of these through the call center when getting a similar error, they totally hosed my booking so I just cancelled it.
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 8:50 am

same issue here. cph-ywg-lhr worked, then two weeks later it no longer does.

not only that all the prices went up in general
Old Jan 3, 2023, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vancouver25k
Playing with some latitude fares ex-Europe.

DUB-YVR-FRA prices out to >$8000 vs <$2000 for DUB-YVR-DUB.
So I book the latter. Then I try to change the inbound from DUB to FRA, and I am unable to make that change - I keep getting "We can’t seem to find flights that match your search criteria. [...]"

I was able to do exactly this last week with another booking. Fare basis are the same (BLTFDLLT).

Temporary glitch or did something change with latitude fares?
As others have mentioned, this seems to have changed recently, but I believe the change occurred a bit earlier. Around Dec. 21 or 22. They seem to have disallowed lower prices on combinations ex-Europe with origin and destinations in different countries. I would guess, precisely to put obstacles on booking latitude or low business class ex-Europe significantly cheaper than ex-Canada. And yes, this includes low business class fares in addition to latitude.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 10:06 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum
Wondering if someone can clarify this for me (it’s probably been asked in some way before).

to take advantage of the ex-europe latitude fares, is this a feasible strategy:

Fly from YVR to Frankfurt (points, rev, doesn’t matter).

book a latitude FRA-YVR round trip. Fly the first leg to get me home. Some time later cancel the return trip back to Frankfurt.

is this illegal? Is half a latitude ticket still fully refundable?
Old Jan 3, 2023, 10:12 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by cmill007
Wondering if someone can clarify this for me (it’s probably been asked in some way before).

to take advantage of the ex-europe latitude fares, is this a feasible strategy:

Fly from YVR to Frankfurt (points, rev, doesn’t matter).

book a latitude FRA-YVR round trip. Fly the first leg to get me home. Some time later cancel the return trip back to Frankfurt.

Don't cancel the return leg, leave it open and change it to some future date. Change the date as many times as needed and then repeat the strategy using the leftover leg as your travel to Europe. You can keep a latitude return booking open indefinitely and fly home on points when it's no longer a viable strategy.

Flying to Europe on points will be much cheaper than cash for the initial bound given how they price one way vs RT
kalderlake and cmill007 like this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 10:15 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TechnoTourist;[url=tel:34888293
34888293[/url]]Don't cancel the return leg, leave it open and change it to some future date. Change the date as many times as needed and then repeat the strategy using the open leg as your travel to Europe. You can keep a latitude return booking open indefinitely and fly home on points when it's no longer a viable strategy.

Flying to Europe on points will be much cheaper than cash for the initial bound given how they price one way vs RT
that’s a great answer. Hadn’t thought of that.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 11:40 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
Don't cancel the return leg, leave it open and change it to some future date. Change the date as many times as needed and then repeat the strategy using the leftover leg as your travel to Europe. You can keep a latitude return booking open indefinitely and fly home on points when it's no longer a viable strategy.

I did this recently as well (changing the left over leg) since I had a change in meeting dates in the EU.

Can this be done indefinitely? (i.e. more than 1 year from the original booking?) I was coming up on the 1 year mark, so didn't want to take any chances going beyond 1 year.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 11:48 am
zam

Any experience with trying to book a European stop over on this B fare?
Old Jan 3, 2023, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Can this be done indefinitely? (i.e. more than 1 year from the original booking?) I was coming up on the 1 year mark, so didn't want to take any chances going beyond 1 year.
I believe tickets turn to pixie dust after a year. But assuming you're flying at least once a year the idea is that you keep using the return flight from the last ticket as the outbound on the next. Fwiw I don't enjoy dealing with phone calls so I find it easier to keep moving the flight on the web than call in but if you do that you have to be careful not to accidentally let the date pass and no-show.
Originally Posted by cmill007
In theory but not in practice. What happens is that they reprice the journey as a one-way and you only get the difference between the original return journey and the one-way you actually flew. Usually this leaves very little or zero refund.
Any experience with trying to book a European stop over on this B fare?
I haven't had success with the "multi-city" booking feature on the web site but that's probably due to the UI on the web site. It'll depend on the fare but most of them seem to allow stopovers, though often not for free. Paying 200-300 euros for a stopover may not be economical compared to booking a Ryanair flight to go where you need to go in Europe...
Diabeetus and TechnoTourist like this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
With the drastic increases in Europe-California Latitude fares, and the potential inability to book to different country (city?), this is losing a lot of appeal for me, even though I was completely on the bandwagon with my last bound flown in December.
vancouver25k likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.