Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: AC, UA, Delta, TG, WestJet
Stopover, with the “new Aeroplan” program

I’m looking for a return trip to South-East Asia, with a stopover on each way. I can’t find any info/way to book online, this kind of reward. I only found some info on stopover in Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver, but nothing about a stopover in Europe, on my way to/from SouthEast Asia. Is it still possible to do such stopover, at least on one leg as before?
Old Nov 15, 2020, 11:32 pm

Has anyone successfully booked a trip with the 5000pts stopover yet?

I have tried with at least 7 different agents and all has been unable to book a trip with the 5000pts stop over.

Starting in YVR, final destination is to be SIN. With a stopover, in J, the cost per way should be 85000 plus 5000 = 90000; I was quoted 128k to 250k to 300k...

No matter the stop over, I can never get it to 90k.

YVR - HND - SIN - 128k
YYZ - AMS - SIN - 250k

I've got response such as:

1. 5000pts is only for NA (?? stop overs are not even permitted in NA I thought?)
2. 5000pts allows you to add a stop over, you still need to redeem additional miles for the actual flight
3. The system calculate cost automatically...nothing they can do

What am i doing wrong? Or is the 5000pts stop over just hearsay/lies?
Old Nov 16, 2020, 7:04 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by outlawashere
Has anyone successfully booked a trip with the 5000pts stopover yet?

I have tried with at least 7 different agents and all has been unable to book a trip with the 5000pts stop over.

Starting in YVR, final destination is to be SIN. With a stopover, in J, the cost per way should be 85000 plus 5000 = 90000; I was quoted 128k to 250k to 300k...

No matter the stop over, I can never get it to 90k.

YVR - HND - SIN - 128k
YYZ - AMS - SIN - 250k

I've got response such as:

1. 5000pts is only for NA (?? stop overs are not even permitted in NA I thought?)
2. 5000pts allows you to add a stop over, you still need to redeem additional miles for the actual flight
3. The system calculate cost automatically...nothing they can do

What am i doing wrong? Or is the 5000pts stop over just hearsay/lies?
Every agent I've spoken to since the program switched over, has expressed frustration that there was zero training provided in advance. I'm consistently hearing that the message was effectively "OK people, the new program's live, read the following pages of ACpedia to learn how it works".

Sounds like it may just be a question of waiting a week or two before their team is ready to get into the difficult stuff.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Every agent I've spoken to since the program switched over, has expressed frustration that there was zero training provided in advance. I'm consistently hearing that the message was effectively "OK people, the new program's live, read the following pages of ACpedia to learn how it works".

Sounds like it may just be a question of waiting a week or two before their team is ready to get into the difficult stuff.
Well at this point no one knows how to add stopovers for 5000pts so it would be good to know if there is something we can do on our end instead of just wait and see and lose the award space.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 5:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Stopover question

25k CC

First post, folks. Go easy on me...

I know that the real answer to this is to call Air Canada. I will at a later date, but just trying to get my head around this, and pick up what I can from more knowledgable folk than me....

I want to go one way, Ottawa to Singapore, Business class. I see seats Yow, YYZ, ICN, Sing for 85k.

I would like a stopover in Scotland. I see rewards for YOW, YYZ, Frankfurt, Edinburgh AND another reward from Edin, IST, Singapore, mostly Business class.

So, I'd like to be able to put these 2 together so my stopover would be Edinburgh.

Questions:

Would this fit within Aeroplan's definition of a stopover?

Any idea of how they might price this? At 85k as per their published routing? At the total of the 2 routes I mentioned? Somewhere in between?

Thanks in advance.
Ronnie
Old Nov 17, 2020, 7:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YOWRON
25k CC

First post, folks. Go easy on me...

I know that the real answer to this is to call Air Canada. I will at a later date, but just trying to get my head around this, and pick up what I can from more knowledgable folk than me....

I want to go one way, Ottawa to Singapore, Business class. I see seats Yow, YYZ, ICN, Sing for 85k.

I would like a stopover in Scotland. I see rewards for YOW, YYZ, Frankfurt, Edinburgh AND another reward from Edin, IST, Singapore, mostly Business class.

So, I'd like to be able to put these 2 together so my stopover would be Edinburgh.

Questions:

Would this fit within Aeroplan's definition of a stopover?

Any idea of how they might price this? At 85k as per their published routing? At the total of the 2 routes I mentioned? Somewhere in between?

Thanks in advance.
Ronnie
It's based on the actual flown distance. Your route is valid, and would cost 105k plus 5k for the stopover plus whatever dynamic increase the AC flights cause.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 24, 2021 at 9:38 am Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old Nov 17, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I am just experimenting now (of course... :/ ) but how do you book a stopover? I tried a multicity YVR-LHR LHR-VIE but don't see the mythical 5000 point option.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by chx1975
I am just experimenting now (of course... :/ ) but how do you book a stopover? I tried a multicity YVR-LHR LHR-VIE but don't see the mythical 5000 point option.
You must call in.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
You must call in.
Not true, have you successfully booked a stopover for 5000pts?

its a myth at this point.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 9:37 am

Am i looking at the MULTI-CITI BOOKING wrong. looks like only 2 one way tickets. unlike the old one with a stop over and ending up back where you started 3 separate flights.?
Old Nov 18, 2020, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by mech11
Am i looking at the MULTI-CITI BOOKING wrong. looks like only 2 one way tickets. unlike the old one with a stop over and ending up back where you started 3 separate flights.?
I have further tweaked the bolded text at the top of the wiki.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by mech11
A "true" multi-city tool is scheduled to be rolled out next year. At this point the multi-city tool cannot handle any stopovers or multi-city itineraries.

The only purpose of it at the moment is to book an open-jaw ticket (and thus only pay one partner booking fee).
Old Nov 27, 2020, 4:26 pm

Quick question, but with the new program, are you still able to call in to piece together your own itinerary based on individual segments?

I fully understand the cost will vary depending on the total distance traveled, as well as variations due to any flights on AC metal.

Or is it you only get what is shown on the website?
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:10 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Quick question, but with the new program, are you still able to call in to piece together your own itinerary based on individual segments?

I fully understand the cost will vary depending on the total distance traveled, as well as variations due to any flights on AC metal.

Or is it you only get what is shown on the website?
Yes, you can call in and do this. I just booked IAD-AUH-SIN / KUL-HND-IAD yesterday.

Would have been bookable online without the stop-overs at AUH and TYO.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Star Alliance - Gold, Bonvoy-Titanium, Hilton-Gold, Avis-President's Club
Anybody has an idea of when specifically the new booking system allows us to book multicity / stopovers online ourselves?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.